GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal....at long last I bought a new 2010 GL1800...I mean NEW as in had ZERO Km's on it. I am wondering what everyone get in the way of MPG or Km / Per litre and all that stuff. The best I seem to be about to do is 16.5 Km per litre of gas...thats just making it to 40 MPG. Hell I see cars out there with larger engines that get better then this. Why is this engine such a pig on gas...?

P.S. I have had the bike now for 2 and a half months and have 11,800 Km's on it already...! Gee can you tell I hardly ever use it.....LOL...:lol:

I would love to hear what the rest of you are getting. By the way to get the 40 MPG I ride it like some granny rider...taking it very easy.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
mileage

Thats about right. The only time I get better than that is out west in the high rockies on 85 octane, I got almost 49 this year with lots of gear and 2 up. Cruising at 80 on the slab at lower elevation, about 37mpg.

·
Registered
163 Posts
40MPG doesn't sound wrong. I ride conservatively and may average a bit better than that. If I am 2 up and leave the cruise control on at 60mph, I will get mid 40's mpg.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've been getting 39mpg commuting to and from work in Dallas using regular grade gas. My vacation trip through high desert and into Colorado above 8000 feet got me up to 47mpg. I should point out that while there are boxes that equal our mileage... they are no where near as fun to drive! My Silverado pickup has zero magic... the Wing has PLENTY of magic, or at least enough to make this old fart smile.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been getting 39mpg commuting to and from work in Dallas using regular grade gas. My vacation trip through high desert and into Colorado above 8000 feet got me up to 47mpg. I should point out that while there are boxes that equal our mileage... they are no where near as fun to drive! My Silverado pickup has zero magic... the Wing has PLENTY of magic, or at least enough to make this old fart smile.

Now the question to as is....WHY are you getting better MPG at high alt's and not at sea level....? These bikes are fuel injected...so there for there has to be baramitter that measures air pressure and adjusts the fuel to air ratio in acordance... There for it should not matter if your at sea level or at 10,000 feet....it should all be the same MPG....at least in my thinking.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
40MPG doesn't sound wrong. I ride conservatively and may average a bit better than that. If I am 2 up and leave the cruise control on at 60mph, I will get mid 40's mpg.
I just did a 3,000 Km trip ( 2 up ) and I did not see any differance in my mileage that I got...and I was doing some high mountain passes in places like Banff, that's on the border of British Columbia and Alberta. I get about 370 Km's per tank...thats about 216 to 220 Miles...or there abouts.

There has to be some way to get some better MPG out of these bikes without losing a pile of power....but I do not know how....yet!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gas mileage

I just did a trip from Calgary to Whitehorse and did 370km to the tank 2up. I didn't let it go much more than that for fear of running out in the middle of nowhere! Just ride it and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just did a trip from Calgary to Whitehorse and did 370km to the tank 2up. I didn't let it go much more than that for fear of running out in the middle of nowhere! Just ride it and don't worry about it.
I know the feeling about running out in the middle of nowhere...:eek:4: I had that almost happen to me in Banff at like 2am in the hear or bear land and other nasties...! Thank god I made it to a gas station...pulled in running in fumes as I was sitting at 410 Km's on the trip OD. I use it like a second gas guage so I have a idea of just how much more Km's I have left on the tank. Boy was I sweating bricks wonding if I was going to make it to a station. Not a nice feeling at all in the dead of the night...in the middle of NOWHERE....with bears and other nasty things about.

·
Registered
19,069 Posts
It weighs 900 lbs. Hello! 40 mpg is good. Name one car in the world other than a hydrid that does better. Where are you from? Canada?

You might be happier with a scooter

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I get 37 mpg while doing IBA rides at around 75 mph but got 43.8 for the last 2 weekends during 300 mile round trips for lunch with my riding buddy. We rode around 50-55 mph most of the time.

Try a little higher tire pressure (less rolling resistance).

·
Registered
833 Posts
I average 50 mpg on a Canadian Gallon and have gotten 58 cruising
backroads. My 1500 average 45.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Our new 2010 is averaging 42 mpg and that's 99% two up riding on 10% ethanol gas.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
My long term average is right at 40mpg and lots of folks reprt mid 30mpgs as their best. Its not a scooter and not nearly as aerodynamic as an enclosed modern subcompact car.

prs

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I normally get around 42mpg. If I'm out cruising under 60mph with my wife, I normally get 47-48mpg.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Now the question to as is....WHY are you getting better MPG at high alt's and not at sea level....? These bikes are fuel injected...so there for there has to be baramitter that measures air pressure and adjusts the fuel to air ratio in acordance... There for it should not matter if your at sea level or at 10,000 feet....it should all be the same MPG....at least in my thinking.
I live in northern Indiana. The elevation is about 600 ft above sea level. Around here the low grade gasoline is 87. My normal average MPG is right at 40. A couple years ago, I rode to Colorado. Most of the riding was above 10,000 ft above sea level. The low grade gasoline was 85. I averaged almost 50 MPG while riding in the higher elevations.
Here is a link that may explain the better mileage.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6744997_ef...s-mileage.html

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
25 to 50 mpgs. Most of the time a little under 40 mpg. Winter fuel will knock that back.

Get real. Don't bother comparing a 40mpg+ car to a 12 second Goldwing. I've passed my share.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Fun Factor, 100 smiles per hour. I didn't buy the wing for its high mileage ranking.
:agree:Who wants to be stuck in a cage anyway?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It weighs 900 lbs. Hello! 40 mpg is good. Name one car in the world other than a hydrid that does better. Where are you from? Canada?

You might be happier with a scooter
Well OK....The Smart Car...thats ONE...! Two from years gone back somewhere in the late 60 to early 1970's there was the ( Fiat 65 ). And
also from many years ago...Austin Mini....the real one not the ones that make now a days.

Smart car 850cc 3 cyl diesel engine
Fiat 65 650cc 4 cyl gas (cutest little 4 cyl engine you have ever seen)
Mini 1,000cc 4 cyl

Oh.....and YES I am from Canada....as for being happier with a scooter. All I will say, is..... bend over....I will show you where to put that scooter...! :eek:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts