GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 averages about 32MPG, my dealer tells me that's good. I have been told by some riders that they get 38-42 MPG. The same dealer says that ECM upgrade would only cut the MPG by a tenth of a gallon. If anybody other me watches MPG, let me know if I'm getting less MPG than most.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine does better than that. Without the trailer traveling within the speed limit one up it normally does 40 MPG or better. Even with a loaded bike and trailer I normally get around 37. You might try disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours and then reconnect and restart without touching the throttle. That should reset the ECM.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine does better than that. Without the trailer traveling within the speed limit one up it normally does 40 MPG or better. Even with a loaded bike and trailer I normally get around 37. You might try disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours and then reconnect and restart without touching the throttle. That should reset the ECM.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Please excuse Charlie, he's repeating himself.

My 1800 has never returned less than 39 MPG in 21,000 miles, and I check nearly every tank. It usually gets 42 MPG, and has done as much as 49 MPG. I live and ride at altitudes above 4,000 feet, and 1800's get better mileage at higher elevations. The new ECM made no difference in mileage on my bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With 6000 miles on this bike I've consistently seen 42-44 mpg. Most of my riding is done out of town at 65-75 mph. I don't hot rod but I do like to use the power to get past slower traffic. Having the temp upgrade done didn't effect milage at all.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have found that my mileage is definitely serious affected by the twist of my wrist!! :twisted:

When I ride by myself and am out having a good time, I get low 30MPG. When I go ride with the dairy queen crowd on a group ride, I get well over 40.

I'll take the 30s and keep on :D

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Low to mid 40's for me. Drops to mid-high 30's in colder weather... or during extended time over 3,000 RPM, or if in strong head/side winds.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I am pretty constant in the low 40's. However I rarely check it. If it dropped significantly, I would know that a problem existed and I would check it out. As long as I can get 200 - 225 miles to a tank, I am happy.

Bulldog

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
today I rode in the car of one of my Goldwing buds, he is always worried about why his bike is getting 4-5 mpg less than mine when he usually drives slower, so slow that I usually have to stop and wait for him to catch up. Well after riding in his car today it is pretty obvious to me the problem is as I had suspected his driving habits not the bike. My bike averaged just over 43 mpg the first 20,000 and 42.5 the second 20,000. Want to increase mpg just remember SMOOTH BUT BRISK

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine gets anywhere between 30 and 40,depending on how I ride. But even if it only got 20 I would still love this bike.......More smiles per gallon than any other I have owned.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gas Mileage- Thanks

Thanks to all, I have several ideas for the gas mileage. Based on the reviews it's probably a combination of factors. Thanks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I used to worry about the mileage but I have yet to get less than 38mpg so, like Bulldog, as long as I get 200 - 225 miles to the tank, I'm happy. I have yet to get over 40mpg though and I've really tried, really, to keep from cracking the throttle. I think the reason may be my weight. Even if it's just me, that's 290lbs that the bike has to pull along and I have the windshield all the way up (and still need about 4" more) which also adds the wind resistence.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mileage

I have a 2002 and live in CA. My mileage has averaged around the 32 mpg since new. Last May I took my first trip out of state. During my trip to Southern UT I averaged around 40mpg. With my highest being 48 at 8k ft elevation. Once I returned to CA and my daily commute to work, the avg dropped back to 32. I had the ECM changed under warranty and the avg jumped up to 34mpg during the summer and fall. Now that winter is here, (low 40s) :lol: my mpg has dropped to 32 again. I think it has a lot to do with the local fuel in CA and of curse, my right wrist.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: Mileage

dougt805 said:
I think it has a lot to do with the local fuel in CA and of curse, my right wrist.
I forgot to mention this in my last post. Here in Denver's Front Range area (Ft Collins to Pueblo) we have Ethanol or Methanol added to the fuel to "oxygenate" it or reduce the emmissoins. I have noticed in my truck that using that fuel I get about 12-13mpg in town. If I put in NON-oxygenated fuel, that number jumps to 15-16mpg. So, if you have ethanol (or something like it) in your fuel you'll notice lower numbers than straight gasoline.

·
Registered
619 Posts

I have almost 31k on my 01. I used to get about 37 all the time...highway speeds 79mph , I ck at every fuel fill up. I started dropping to about 35 and got a tune up. I am still around the 35 mark. I also noticed that my low fuel lite comes on now about 175 miles where as before about 200. When the lite comes on and i ride to about 200 miles, i still only fill up without 5.5 gals. Why does the lite come on..I thought it was suppose to come on with .6 gals left. I have upped the octane level also. To the mid grade 88 octane. Any suggestions....

bruce aka "the blue trawler

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
When new 38-41 mpg. Then did the speedometer correction. Now 34-38 average. Cruising speed with or without SO directly proportional to the throttle grip, and inversely related to the outdoor temperature is a factor! Try to keep rev's about 2200-3000 myself. What rev's do u all shoot for?

·
Registered
619 Posts
GL03 who are you asking the question of?.....me, I just ride and haven't done anything different but we do have oxygenated gas at this time..this may be part of it?

bruce aka 'the blue trawler"

:bl1:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts