GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that I've been bragging up Gold Wing's too. He rides a Moto Guzzi and other sport touring bikes. He was telling me that his brother only gets around 30mpg with his 2012 Wing. I get around 45 mpg with my 2013. He messaged me some chart he pulled off the internet showing the mpg for about 30 different Wings. 38 mpg was the largest group...then they went lower down to 27mpg and higher up to 49 mpg.

I told him if his brother's Wing is only getting 30 mpg he'd better get it in to the shop because something is wrong with it. Now I know there are many factors that come into play with mpg such as highway vs. city driving, bike load etc. When I am riding two up on short trips...I am getting a good 45 mpg. My bike only has 4,000 miles on it so I'm thinking it may even improve.

Any one else care to respond?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Two up at 45 mpg !!??? SHHH you must have been allowed to buy the super secret prototype with the needed 6th speed tranny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
My wing has averaged 43 mpg for the past 400,000+ miles , the lowest has been 29 and the highest 54, I mostly ride 2 lane hwys and don't live in a state with much higher speed limits like Texas, probably the biggest factor on mpg is driving habits

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Dennis?
Are you and the wife doing a lot of the back roads in your area? With the beautiful scenery you have, I couldn't blame you two for taking your time, soaking up the sights, and enjoying your new bike together. The bonus: great mileage. I don't check my mileage, per se, but I noticed a tank of gas lasts quite a while when I am up in Minocqua sight seeing with the wife. John

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
with cruise control on at 55 level road. just me at 200 pounds MAYBE 43 mpg,,, but that's boring,, That's the only thing I missed from ST1300 with a cargo trailer hooked to it and loaded to travel 46 mpg at 70 all day long

As soon as some real world figures come out on the CTX1300 as far MPG t highway super cruise ,, if it gets what they are hinting I may be tradinging my 2012

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I probably average 36 or 37 on interstates around PA. Around 40 on back roads. Southern interstates pull down mileage as the speed increases.
Lyle

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
My first Wing, an 03 got 42mpg highway if I minded my speed, It would drop into the mid to upper 30's when i misbehaved.
My 05 never did that well. Usually around 36 to 38. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and got a bump of 38 to 40
With my previous and current 2010, I can count on upper 30s and up to 42 mph pulling my Tailwind.
I have never seen any higher than 45mph on any of the GL1800s I have owned.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
The EPA (and we know how accurate they are) lists the wing as 34 mpg. My 08 does get slightly worse (1-2) mpg than my 02, but I also have lower Baker Wings on it and road pegs. At cruising speeds the different airflow drag does make a difference. Now I can get 42-43 at a moderate (55ish) cruising speed, but if I'm tooling at 75 I drop into the low to mid-30's. If I'm pulling my bushtec at the high speeds, well then my gas mileage dropped down to 30.6 mpg (averaged) on my last IBA ride to Dallas. Low of 28.7, high of 32.6 based on 7 fuel stops.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wings, pegs, lights

Has anyone taken the wings off for an IBA ride? I have the full set of wind wings, highway pegs and aux lights mounted on the front wheel (also PIAA light under front cowling). I can get 200 miles with 2/10s gallon left in the tank (got this twice on the Southern Swing this month). I now have a RADA gas can for my saddlebag. This range got me thinking about MPG, too! Good timing on this thread. I came from a BMW with 240 mile range but not as comfortable for my wife. Any ideas to improve mileage would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
I ride with all the wings, lights, pegs, and whatever else always attached. While I do care somewhat about gas mileage, I've got all the crap on there because I want it on. The mpg difference to me is not worth the hassle of putting on and off. I just have my zumo programmed to alert me at 180 miles to look for a gas station. When I'm pulling the trailer at the higher speeds, I start looking at 150 miles. Short range I know, but would rather ride to a gas station than walk. Besides, my bladder appreciates the more frequent pit stops. ;)

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I don't do much "55 mph" riding. Over the past approximately 30,000 miles, I have averaged 34 mpg. I keep track of every tankful with my iPhone app called AccuFuel. 2012 and I do have all the BakerWings installed. Getting 40 mpg is a rarity for sure. 38 mpg is fairly common. I only weigh a little over 200 but seldom drive under 70 mph. Pull the trailer and I loose another 2-4 mpg.

·
Registered
296 Posts
mpg

Riding 2 up bags empty at 75-80 mph 34 mpg. both rider and passenger total weight 405 lbs. I also have baker complete set of wings. People who get 40 mpg must ride 55 and solo.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Never really got too concerned with mileage on any of my Wings.As long as it's running good I just put fuel in it when it needs it.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Usually people with the 45 mpg did not correct the odometer error, which can be 8 - 10 % high. Two up, around town, 45 mpg? Not going to happen.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
7,843 miles and 213.661 Gallons = 36.71 MPG

Millage is corrected for speedometer error and is accurate.

Without the speedometer correction, the fuel economy looks like 38.26 MPG

·
Registered
240 Posts
i have a 07 goldwng and get 42 miles per gal . with that said i did not buy it for the m p g i bought it for the ride ...........jduck

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Usually 40-45 for me. It varies based on my mood. I have hit 50mpg twice, (308 and 306 miles), which were both probably statistical flukes. Mileage will drop into the high 30s when we switch to winter fuel blends.

I rarely ever ride freeway. Too boring and too noisy. Most of my riding is either around town or out in the country on 45-55mph roads. Riding two up doesn't seem to affect it, at least noticeably. My mileage drops like a Cleveland thermometer in January at 70mph. I can't even hit 200 miles on a tank with freeway riding, so I don't even bother calculating it. I don't want to know.

Based on what I have gleaned from this board in the early years of the GL1800, low 30's usually meant there was a problem with the bike. Most of the time it was a bad oxygen sensor, with a bad fuel pump mixed in once in awhile.

I realize that many don't care what kind of mileage they get. But knowing what you get when the bike is running right gives you a good clue when something starts failing and your mileage all of a sudden drops significantly.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I get around 28 but that is 3 up and 75+ :thumbup:
I get 32-34 two up pulling the trailer or back and forth to work. If were tooling down the two lane with speeds under 65 I will get low 40's.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mph

Usually people with the 45 mpg did not correct the odometer error, which can be 8 - 10 % high. Two up, around town, 45 mpg? Not going to happen.
I've checked my speedometer with both radar and gps and if it's off at all it's less than .5 mph and I actually think it's right on. I was going to put on a Speedo Healer like I have on my other bikes but it doesn't appear I need to.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts