GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 1800 gets worse gas mileage than my 2000 SE did. On the '06 I usually get about 46 to 48 mpg (imperial Gallon) That would be about 36 to 37 mpg (US Gallon). My 1500 used to get about 48 to 50 mpg (imperial gallon).

I'm mildly aggressive rider but usually ride around 70 mph on the highway. Most of my riding is on the highway with usually light traffic. So do I have a problem with my '06 or is that reasonable mileage?.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm getting 35 in the city and 37 -39 on highway traveling 60 to 70 mph

·
Registered
373 Posts
I believe....

I believe that the mileage figures you're achieving are pretty much right in line with what most on this board have managed (some more, some less).
My '06 gets in the upper 30s to low 40s depending upon the wrist (i.e. torque = fun!).
If you search through older posts, you'll find lots of gas mileage conversation.
Personally, I'm pretty dern happy with upper 30s considering what my car achieves (high teens).
Hope for sunshine!

·
Registered
25 Posts
When my 06 was new I was getting 36 - 38 cruising 70 - 80 solo. Just did a run to El Paso yesterday and got 42 cruising 70 - 80. I have just over 9,000 miles on mine.

MC-Traveler
AKA FJR Bandit

·
Registered
143 Posts
gas mileage

On my 06 I can repeatably get 40 mph as long as I keep the RPMs under 3k to 3.1k. Any thing above that rpm and it's all over the place. 11.4k miles since March 2 by the way, love the ride. Tom

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems about right then. I was wondering because the other people I ride with used to get better mileage with their 1800's than I did with my 1500.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
253 Posts
gas milage

--- My 06 has been giving me 42mpg on the freeway. Thats with me and my wife pulling a full uni-go trailer. Speeds ranging from 60 to 72mph. 41psi in both tires. On 87oct. fuel. Amsoil in the motor and rear gears. All of Baker Builts wings and a stock windshield. I guess thats not bad. I was used to getting 48 to 50mpg on the 04 FJR 1300 I had. But the wing is so much more comfortable!! I can live with the lower milage. 8)

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Yep....I do ALOT of city driving (Chicago) and, mid to upper 30's is the norm.
Hi-way ? 40ish or so.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Did a 2300 mile trip in late September and on 2 lane State hi-ways I got 42-44 MPG running 50-60 MPH. On Interstate at 75-80, 37-38 MPG.
2005 GL1800

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
my gas mileage is so good on my GL1800 that I don't even check it when the light comes on I fill up

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 2002 GL1800 gets 32 MPG.

I've got 20,000 miles on it and I hope that when I do my 24,000 mile maintance it will do better.

I have only owned it a short time, so I don't know if it ever got better.

Other than bad fuel milage it sure is a great bike and I would still ride a GL1800 even if they all got 32MPG.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You guys shouldn't compain too much. When I had Rio, that was about what I was getting, except in the higher altitudes when it would sneak into the upper 40's. On the Silver Wing, gas mileage is directly attributable to your right wrist. Going up to Harrison a couple of weeks ago, we were putting along at 70-75 against a very strong wind. The Silver Wing only got in the low 30's for that leg of the trip. On the ride last Saturday, with no wind and much more sedate speeds, it averaged 46-47 combination highway and back road driving. That's a 582cc compared to your 1832cc Wing. Your bike weighs in around 881 lbs (without you on it), and my scooter weighs a tad over 500 lbs. Both have EFI.

I wish I could get better mileage, but as someone has well said, right wrist = torque = fun. Take your pick!

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I know this has all been posted befor, but here goes.

Yesterday, riding two up, in southeastern Indiana, back roads, highways, interstates, residential and just all over the place, we averaged 43.2 mpg, as close as I can tell on measuring only one tank fill up.

I was running 87 octane from Shell. No corn, I mean ethanol, in it.

As far as I can tell, I average just under 45 mpg, total average for all riding, but have gotten as low as 38 in the mountains, fully loaded, two up and as high as 50 mpg, one up and no load, on the x-way, cruizing with traffic at 65 mph on the Garmin. I do change my antenna oil on a regular basis. :wink:

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
mpg again

I think it definitely all depends on your riding style. I'm kind of a sporting type (fast) rider and typically get only low 30's mpg with freeway cruisin at maybe 38mpg. Some here "claim" lower to upper 40 mpgs but I don't buy it unless they ride a steady 55mph all the time, then maybe. T.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mileage improves on most vehicles as they break in. If your Wing is new your mileage should go up slightly as it breaks in. As everyone has posted - more you twist the wrist - the worse is gets.

One thing no one mentioned is being sure you tire pressure is good - I run mine a touch on the high side. As the weather cools you should check your tires more frequently - they tend to drop pressure some and then settle into the cold.

Driving in a relaxed fashion not cranking through the gears - minimizing stop and go and you would be surprised how much better your mileage will be.

Finally you are running and 1800cc motor - that is bigger than some small cages. Want the higher mileage - get a Silver Wing or a Burgman :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts