GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I did a search first berfore asking.

My new wing is getting about 32 miles to the gallon. I drive it 14 miles to work and back and any other time I need to go somewhere. No stop and go traffic on the way to work and a little on the way home. The only real concern I have is that the exhaust smells rich to me. Am I concerned for no reason. BTW long runs it gets about 40 miles to the gallon.

158 miles on 5.1 gallons

Thanks for the help.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Previous M.P.G. posts on the Wing have varied from as low as upper 20's by more aggressive riders to a
"claimed mid 40's" by some who can stand to cruise a highways at sub 60 m.p.h. speeds. Personally I have averaged in the low 30's and mid to upper 30's when strictly cruising the highway and keeping it down under 85 m.p.h.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 06 gets 39 to 42 on the freeway if I keep the RPM at 3000 to 3100. After that the higher the RPM the lower the fuel milage. I have never got less than 35 MPG

Riding two up I always get at least 200 off a tank of fuel.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I get low to mid 40's depending on how hard I push it.
There is Ethanol in the gas around here and that hurts mileage.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've kept a record of every nickle of gas that I have bought for mine. I now have just over 15000 miles on it. I ride it only here in Florida, with varied speeds and 2 up some times. One thing I have learned about the 1800's is that the odometers are off by approximately 4 miles per 100 over actual miles. When calculating mileage you should never do it over 1 tank of fuel. I like to calculate mine over 10 fill ups. To date, after determining actaul mileage I am getting between 39.6 and 41.7. I believe anyway that around 40 is probably a more likely # for the 1800 mileage.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
37 mpg, to and from work 22mi to @ 70-75mph, we went on trip not to long ago, kept rpm's at 28,000 with cruise and got 47mpg

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Jchefboyardee said:
37 mpg, to and from work 22mi to @ 70-75mph, we went on trip not to long ago, kept rpm's at 28,000 with cruise and got 47mpg
Man, mine would go a LOT faster if I kept the RPM's at 28,000!!
:) :wink:

Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
swajetdr said:
My new wing is getting about 32 miles to the gallon. I drive it 14 miles to work and back and any other time I need to go somewhere. No stop and go traffic on the way to work and a little on the way home. The only real concern I have is that the exhaust smells rich to me. Am I concerned for no reason. BTW long runs it gets about 40 miles to the gallon.
158 miles on 5.1 gallons
Thanks for the help.
First tank was 33 ... since then have been averaging about 39 ... mostly easy around town riding.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
MPG on the Wing is directly related to how one operates the throttle.The more you twist it open, the less MPG you will get. If you want to get 40+ mpg, accelerate slowly and shift at low rpm's. Some folks have commented that they "ride it like they stole it" and still get 40 mpg. I'll bet they don't ride it like they stole it the same way I do! lol

·
Registered
812 Posts
mpg

I have kept a log on my '06 Nav model and MPG has averaged 40 over the first 28K miles. High of 51 mpg cruising all day at 45mph in Yellowstone. Low of 25 mpg, high speed into a head wind with the windshield up. I have found that windshield position is a significant factor in MPG, and almost as relevant as speed (up to 80 MPH). All numbers are unadjusted.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I average right at 40 mpg no matter what I am doing. About 215 miles on 5.5 gal. Two up pulling trailer might cost me 10-15 miles per tank. Not really enough to worry about.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Jay Hoover said:
I average right at 40 mpg no matter what I am doing. About 215 miles on 5.5 gal. Two up pulling trailer might cost me 10-15 miles per tank. Not really enough to worry about.
Do you ride until the low fuel light comes on?

I've put 5.3 in the bike but have yet to see the low fuel light ... starting to wonder if it's working...

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Fire Eating Member
6,472 Posts
IMHO -- the GL1800 is not very efficient ... my wife's car gets about 33 miles a gallon (pontiac - sunfire) and i would be willing to bet it weighs
about 2000 lbs more than my Wing.. so why doesn't the GL1800 get
better gas mileage ?

cosmic

·
Registered
755 Posts
My '06 also gets 40 - 42 but I'll be the first to admit I ride like an old man. I usually stay around 60 - 62mph, shift slow, slow accelleration, etc. For some reason I am never in a hurry to get anywhere (especially work)....I just enjoy the ride!

32mpg sounds real low unless you ride at 90+ all the time!

:D

·
Fire Eating Member
6,472 Posts
Bill..i don't ride 90 all the time.. mostly 80 on 2 lane roads... but it seems
quiet a few GL1800 owners complain about fuel mileage.. my wife's
car gets 32 MPH around town... and its much heavier...

cosmic

·
Registered
812 Posts
gas

IMHO -- the GL1800 is not very efficient ... my wife's car gets about 33 miles a gallon (pontiac - sunfire) and i would be willing to bet it weighs
about 2000 lbs more than my Wing.. so why doesn't the GL1800 get
better gas mileage ?
Maybe the Goldwing is in a much higher state of tune that the economy car (??). I think the GL1800 is capable of sub 13 second quarter mile times and will do over 125 MPH. A 1.8 liter car that will do that probably wouldn't get very good gas mileage.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts