·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took care of several things while I had my top shelter off-
1. Replace air filter
2. Installed mic-mutes
3. Adjusted cruise control

Before the changes I was getting about 40 mpg although I had not checked just prior to the work done under the shelter. Since the bike is back together - and runs well - my mpg has been 35 and 37.5 mpg.

I'm approaching 40K miles and plan to change to new plugs this week.

Anything else I should be checking or should I be happy with the mileage I'm getting??

PS - Riding under same conditions here in Texas as before so I don't think it's a different type of terrain or different driving habits.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I got an 08 with about 6600 miles on it, and It has just started giving 41.5 mpg using 10-30 oil. Prior I was getting 38-39mpg with 10-40. What weight oil are you using? If you have an 06 or newer bike, the manual recommends 10-30. It might improve the mileage.

Daveo

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Also a lot of stations here in Texas are going to the 10% Ethanol fuel mix, it will result in lower fuel economy.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Also a lot of stations here in Texas are going to the 10% Ethanol fuel mix, it will result in lower fuel economy.
That is what happened to mine. The state of Fla in its great wisdom decided to mandate that all gas has to be 10% corn gas. Mileage went south quick after that. Now 38 mpg is about all I can get if it don't get over 65mph.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
We or "THEY" switched mixture here also, and my mileage is in the dumper again, and the gas isn't any cheaper like once advertised. Just designed to give worst mileage, and causing one to buy more. A tricky way to regain the alleged lost profit. :doorag:

G

·
The E10 is somewhat less expensive than regular gas but only because the government offers a tax discount for selling it.

You won't see a difference at the pump because stations base their pricing on what the local competition is doing. So stations that have already switched to E10 will still price in the same range as those who haven't and pocket the extra tax savings. Unfortunately that savings is mostly eaten up with increased maintenance costs - pump filters are three times as expensive for E10 as for regular gas. And monitoring water in the tanks is more crucial because the ethanol is hygroscopic (water and gas don't mix but water and ethanol mix quite well).

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
If you know this definitely only started after you worked on the bike, it might be an idea to pull the shelter and make sure the air filter cover is seated properly and no hoses got pinched.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's why I posted the tread to see if anything else might be the cause before pulling the shelter off. I can't swear that's when the problem started.

I know it's due for spark plug replacement and that's a pretty easy fix and can then check it.

I've been surprised others are reporting gas mileage in the mid to upper 30 mpg.

·
Registered
419 Posts
That's why I posted the tread to see if anything else might be the cause before pulling the shelter off. I can't swear that's when the problem started.

I know it's due for spark plug replacement and that's a pretty easy fix and can then check it.

I've been surprised others are reporting gas mileage in the mid to upper 30 mpg.
Wish I was doing that well. I picked up an '02 with 10k miles last month. After 1,100 miles, I have a Honda average of 33.6 mpg. I'm sure cold weather and lousy winter gas have a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No performance problems at all. Just seems like a drop in fuel mileage.

New spark plugs should help, right??

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
Wish I was doing that well. I picked up an '02 with 10k miles last month. After 1,100 miles, I have a Honda average of 33.6 mpg. I'm sure cold weather and lousy winter gas have a lot to do with it.
i've put on 750 miles so far this year and the average so far has been 41 MPG

43 has been the normal MPG for my bike since it was new and i'm sure that will return when it warms up

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mpg

250 mile ride friday in mass 70 degrees got 44.1 mpg 09 with now 800 miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts