GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke to a guy delivering gasoline this afternoon and asked him about the rising prices. He said we hadn’t seen anything yet. He had heard that prices would most likely jump another 70 cents to 90 cents a gallon by late spring. :cry:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Wonderful news. Makes owning a M/C even sweeter. How long will it be before we wake up and start really getting serious about alternative fuels? Maybe we need prices to top $2.00 a gallon and then sit back and hear all the hollering from the poor folks who've bought gas-guzzling SUVs. Got an ad over the internet today about a new Toyota Highlander that will run on gas and batteries. They say you'll be able to get over 600 miles on a tank of gas. But of course, they didn't say how large the gas tank is, either. If you buy before May 2005, you may get a break on your taxes for fuel and the cost of the vehicle, but I'll bet it will still be over $35k.

·
Registered
276 Posts
So far it hasn't risen too much in my neck of the woods (Florida). Right now about 1.679 per gallon. And what's with the .009 cents anyway, go ahead and charge me $1.70 and get it over with!!! :evil:

Michael

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
even though we have three motorcycles in our garage, i dont like the gas prices to get any higher.

besides my grand prix gets pretty close to the same mileage the goldwing anyway.

loren

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
ain't so great news if you own a gas guzzling SERVICE TRUCK, because the cost is going to get past on to the customer

who's going to be able to afford a "hybrid" SERVICE TRUCK, the one I got now cost $28,000, and all I got was some paint, a steering wheel and four tires I figure a hybrid will add at least 5-6K to that.

So next time your A/C or furnace breaks down, don't get all bent out of shape when the service company charges you 90 bucks (or more) for a service call :evil:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
costs are hovering around 1.70/gal around here....but I did see/hear (can't remember which :oops: ) about the price getting up to 3.00/gal this summer....that should be interesting.....

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Jmac,
Would you believe in California that when a repair person makes a house call they sometimes charge a "fuel surcharge" when the gas prices go up?
Mikey

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Another thing you don't want to forget is: when gas goes up so does diesel fuel. That will add a bunch to everything that is shipped. We actually pay for for a raise in gas prices in more than one way...........

Oh well I own a 1968 Honda Dream (titled 1970) that will get over 50 MPG so I guess I can tour the country with it. :) :) When they came out they were the first touring bikes that Honda made...... Hve they come along way or What :?: :?: :!: :!: :p

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Gary & Mikey said:
Jmac,
Would you believe in California that when a repair person makes a house call they sometimes charge a "fuel surcharge" when the gas prices go up?
Mikey
Hey G&M, how you guys doing, actually I would believe that, some of us around here have been batting that idea around, mainly because it's easier to explain to a customer than just slapping on 20 bucks.

another words, I'd rather tell you it's $70 for the service call and a $20 gas surcharge than just tell you, the service call will be 90 bucks, that way if the gas price comes down, I (we) can cancel the surcharge or change it at any time

·
Registered
700 Posts
Fuel Surcharge

LTL truck freight has been subject to fuel surcharges for several years. It varies based on a floating baseline. I have seen it as high as 7% of the LTL freight. While no American is going to enjoy higher fuel prices, we best get used to them as the oil companies are going to put the US on par with the rest of the world. Like most of you, I lived through the fuel shortages of the early 70's and $2.00 a gallon price. Put the 1970's $2.00 per gallon price in todays value and we are way ahead today!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Gas Surcharge ?......... I do realize that the cost is going up etc. But as a paying customer I would rather $itch about the cost of a service call rather than see ( Gas Surcharge) I'd probalbly go through the roof if I seen a surcharge on the Bill. Now if an individual had to drive say 25 miles to make the call, I would then explain to them because of the cost of gas to get there the bill will be a bit higher etc. And I would guess they still will howl. I don't envy you Jmac...........Fix em all. RETIRE ! LOL

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hmmmm, I'm a residential property manager and am thinking what would the owners of the homes I manage say if I charged them a fuel surcharge? Nope, ain't gonna happen. I can also just see them reading an invoice from the plumber, HVAC or other vendor with a fuel surcharge on it. Ain't that gonna be a blood bath?! LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
DT said:
Spoke to a guy delivering gasoline this afternoon and asked him about the rising prices. He said we hadn’t seen anything yet. He had heard that prices would most likely jump another 70 cents to 90 cents a gallon by late spring. :cry:
GALLON OF SUPER SHELL IN NOVATO, CALIFORNIA POSTED AT, $2.44!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
ups has charged a fuel surcharge for a long time, probably based on 30 cents a gallon.

loren

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why are you looking at the ngative of high prices. LOok at the positive. If gas would go up to $3 or $4 a gallion. Sure the price of everything would rise a little - so what. Just think of how many cars would be off of the road for pleasure driving. Car pooling would become more popular. Less traffic to hit you on the bike, clearer roads, and more pleasant rides. I think that would be worth the added cost. High prices dont bother me - GAS SHORTAGES DO

·
Registered
823 Posts
How high is high depends on what you are used to. Here gas went up yesterday from 1.46 to 1.59. I know some of you are thinking 1.59 isn't that bad but I do.

·
Registered
378 Posts
For those of you that remember the OPEC Embargo of 1974, do you remember seeing the reduced usage of gasoline as the price went up and availability went down? Then we slowly began to see vehicles being redesigned as smaller, lighter, and more efficient. In 1974, regular gasoline was about 25.9 cents/gal. here in Tenn. People actually stated they would park their vehicles and walk whenever gas hit the predicted 50 cents/gal. :lol: Now we are seeing $1.60/gal and the roads are congested to the Nth degree almost everywhere. Seems the law of "supply and demand" is working very well. We just keep demanding and using and the suppliers keep supplying. Isn't this the Great American Way? Wait and see if some brilliant individual and entrepreneur doesn't develope a new mode of transportation to counteract the rising fuel costs. This too will be along the lines of the Great American Way. Personally, I get real excited thinking about all of the untapped possiblilties. Hang on, I believe we are all in for an exciting future. :D

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
In my retirement job I drive a van that picks up and delivers employees and customers of a large corporation from Chicago O'Hare to Freeport, IL. I frequently converse with the passengers about cars and motorcycles. Two passengers from Scotland have laughed at American's scorn of high "petrol" prices. They currently pay around $4.50 per American gallon for their petrol. In-laws in Australia pay $3.50 to $4.00. We've got it made, comparatively.

Gas companies are not our friends. I use credit cards for every purchase of gas and pay off each card every month. Shell has a card that gives you a 5% back for every dollar you spend with them and Chase Freedom has a card that gives you 3% back at any gas station. It is my little way of getting something back from them.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I predict our fuel prices will peak at around Memorial weekend and then slowly lower through summer without the usual spike at Labor Day weekend and a downward trend through November. Typical election year pattern.

prs

1 - 20 of 38 Posts