GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride an '06 GL1800; I usually use Shell gasoline.
With ethanol at 10% (soon to be 15%) should I consider some kind of fuel additive to combat the ethanol?

·
Registered
138 Posts
while not desirable and a dumb economic and political move, as long as it doesn’t sit for months in your tank unprotected, ethanol is mostly a nuisance. However, I found an how-to for removing ethanol from fuel in a related forum. Since ethanol is attracted to water, it is possible to remove it by adding water to fuel. The ethanol will drop out because of its higher specific gravity and can be drained away. It takes about 2 cups water to 5 gallons of gas.
Anyone familiar with this?
I might try this for winter storage. And for my personal protest to using food for fuel.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
while not desirable and a dumb economic and political move, as long as it doesn’t sit for months in your tank unprotected, ethanol is mostly a nuisance. However, I found an how-to for removing ethanol from fuel in a related forum. Since ethanol is attracted to water, it is possible to remove it by adding water to fuel. The ethanol will drop out because of its higher specific gravity and can be drained away. It takes about 2 cups water to 5 gallons of gas.
I might try this for winter storage. And for my personal protest to using food for fuel.
I would never try/do that, except maybe in a bulk storage tank. Why go thru the mess and effort. I've had excellent results with Startron fuel enzyme additive/stabilizer when storing stuff with ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Its good to know that Honda designed the Goldwing to run on water. At times, mine would sit for 8 months or more and fire up with a touch of the button. My Cuda and Vette apparently are also capable of running on water !! Btw, Food grade corn which less than 10% of the corn grown in the US is not used for ethanol.

Reactions: GMBGW

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News had a how to article on exactly how to do this a few years ago..

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
OK, so pour two cups of water into the fuel tank,... check. How long do I wait for the ethanol to drain away?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
One of my riding partners use Non-Ethanol fuel or a fuel treatment for ethanol at every fill up. He is scared to death Ethanol is going to ruin his motorcycle. The funny thing is that he doesn't keep one long enough for Ethanol to ruin it, he trades every couple years. On the other side of that, I've used only Ethanol fuel in my motorcycles and vintage cars for decades now, and only treat the fuel during storage. One of my motorcycles that I use on a daily basis is 17 years old and my Goldwing is 10 years old, both without issues, And I have cars as much as 50 years old with the same result . I think the whole thing is much to do about nothing. Ethanol has been in fuel long enough now that if it is a problem for a new motorcycle, it's the fault of the motorcycle manufacturer, not the fuel industry. IMO

·
Registered
138 Posts
It happens in a few minutes. The ethanol will be a white cloudy liquid at the bottom of whatever container you are using. The instructions I read suggested using a 5 gal container with a clear tube about 1-2 feet long attached to the outlet with a valve at the end. Fill with fuel, add water, flip it over and the ethanol will precipitate(?) to the bottom of the tube. Use the valve at the end of the tube to drain away the ethanol. Sounds cool. Science is fun!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Its good to know that Honda designed the Goldwing to run on water. At times, mine would sit for 8 months or more and fire up with a touch of the button. My Cuda and Vette apparently are also capable of running on water !! Btw, Food grade corn which less than 10% of the corn grown in the US is not used for ethanol.
Nice Cuda and Vet! What year is the Cuda?

·
Registered
413 Posts
How come no one has mentioned the aggravation of corn silks being stuck between the rings and the cylinder walls!! LOL

Reactions: GMBGW

·
Registered
790 Posts
So if you run fuel with ethanol and

then other times pure fuel, is that good for our fuel and engine systems?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would rather find a gas station on the pure gas site and buy 5 gallons than try that. I have to drive to southern Vermont from Central Massachusetts to get some for my small engines.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
It's really amazing that despite nearly 50 years of E10 being commonplace at gas stations, and tens of millions of cars that have run free of ethanol related problems after all these decades, a small segment of the population still insists on clinging to the misguided propaganda from the anti-ethanol crowd despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. And a few well publicized manufacturer screwups aren't going to dilute the facts. After 18 years with my Wing, I have yet to ever have an ethanol problem. I have had carbon buildup due to not riding my bike hard enough, but that is a gasoline problem and the nature of a motorcycle engine, not an ethanol problem.

I am not a big fan of ethanol, which might come as a shock after those comments. I have always suspected that the benefit has been marginal, and does not outweigh the effort put into it, and in the end it will only be a temporary solution. It's a political solution more than anything else. But it has no significant effect on my life, so I pretty much just accept it and ignore it. It's not worth my time even worrying about it, let alone acting on it by trying to find clever ways to skirt around it. In line with the OP's original question, that is what I suggest everyone else do as well. It's not worth dwelling on. If you want to treat your fuel system right, focus on buying fuel from busy stations with modern updated pumps so that you can be sure you are getting clean fuel that is not stale and stop worrying about whether it has ethanol in it. Odds are, it does.

Most of the complaints over the decades are based on partial truths that have been grossly exaggerated and have no real life effect on us or our vehicles, unless of course you own a 60+ year old vintage car or bike. But the world is not going to stop progressing just so that a small number of collectors can have their way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts