GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All...

I just returned from a PGR mission......put the gl away in the garage and soon noticed a very pronounced gas smell....I needed to open the garage door and air it out. I see no gas on the floor or the engine or anywhere else...I haven't just filled up....(1/2 tank)... this happened once before a month or so ago. I ignored it and there were no problems or repeats until now. Just prior there was a 30 minute drive at freeway speeds and it was approx 111 degrees outside.

05' gl, 53,000 mi

Comments?

Thanks......

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Normal sometimes.
High temps, engine heat, bike is parked, heat rises off the engine , gas vapors expand and vent.

Especially noticed in closed garage. Mine does it sometimes. Usually when the bike is heated up, been run for a long time and I put it in the garage. Never happens in cooler weather.

Now here is one I have not figured out yet, I put two gas containers in the back of the jeep. Both are plastic five gallon containers. Both empty, except for a few drops. So today I go looking for the containers and one is blown up like a balloon, from the heat , but the other one is sucked in like a 3000 pound vacuum hose has been hooked to it. This one I have not figured out yet. Not sure how that happened. Must be that ethanol.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Normal sometimes.
High temps, engine heat, bike is parked, heat rises off the engine , gas vapors expand and vent.

Especially noticed in closed garage. Mine does it sometimes. Usually when the bike is heated up, been run for a long time and I put it in the garage. Never happens in cooler weather.
:agree:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Normal sometimes.

Now here is one I have not figured out yet, I put two gas containers in the back of the jeep. Both are plastic five gallon containers. Both empty, except for a few drops. So today I go looking for the containers and one is blown up like a balloon, from the heat , but the other one is sucked in like a 3000 pound vacuum hose has been hooked to it. This one I have not figured out yet. Not sure how that happened. Must be that ethanol.
It's Bushes fault!:lol:

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Bob,
Mine does that too when it is warm, no worries.

Thank you for supporting the troops.:bow:

later..Randy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gas Smell Comments

THANKS TO ALL...

I will relax and monitor the symptoms......by the way...

It is a very good thing...this gl1800 site...you are the best. :yes1: BC

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mine does the same when the tank is 1/2 full or lower...and its hot outside and have been riding for a long while. Its OK. its the tank getting warm and the gas fumes are venting as the engine heat is warming the tank and the fumes expand. It has to go somewhere... In cool weather its will not do it...but in temps of 85f and above it will. The hotter it is, the more it will do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts