GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left home this morning and had to stop at the gas station. Got there and couldn't get the key to go into the tank cover. This poses one heck of a problem. I'm about out of gas and can't open the blasted tank. It's like there's something blocking the path. I got the key to go about half way but that was it. Finally gave up and rode back home. Wife got layed off from her job Tuesday (yeah, Merry F'in Christmas) this week so I took her car to work (only other ride I have). It was 21 degrees and I'm assuming it could've froze. But the ignition was fine.

I'm planning on shooting some WD-40 and/or graphite into the lock. Anybody else had this happen and know of another solution? Lock has not been even remotely sticky or anything before.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
JJ - haven't had ths problem with a Wing yet, but did with a car once where the lock was frozen. Try putting a lighted match to the key for a while to heat it up and then inserting it into the gas lock. If that's the problem, it should resolve it quickly.

DaleC

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It was 21 degrees and I'm assuming it could've froze. But the ignition was fine.
There's a good possibility that's your problem, the ignition lock working doesn't mean the other lock couldn't be frozen, one got some water in it and the other didn't.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That thought did occur to me. I quit smoking in January (nearly a year now) and didn't have anything on me to light it up. Will try that when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
When you get it working again, use graphite instead of liquids. Liquid will collect dirt and gum things up. Powdered graphite is available in squeeze bottles.

:D

...and snowing! :cry:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have a spare key made at Wal-mart (97 cents) or your favorite key store. It does not go into the gas door lock as far as it goes into the ignition..measure it and cut the key off and JB weld a chrome knob, like an old radio volume knob or some such onto the key end and just leave it in place. It will not go into the ignition far enough to start the bike, but will unlock the gas door just fine. This will keep dirt and ice out of the lock..probably.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Gas tank lock

If for some reason, the key will still not function, you will need to remove the seat and unbolt the top shelter @ the rear by the gas door. Raise this up just enough to get to the door underneath and there are 2 phillips screws that hold the hinge. Remove the door and get the lock fixed or remolaced.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. We got dumped with 6 inches of snow last night and more is coming today, tonight and tomorrow. So, I'll have to work on it in a few days. I like the key idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Make two of the keys, one for the gas tank and one for the right front storage pocket. I got the two radio knobs from Radio Shack, which were originally silver and removed the outer shells to give me what I felt was a nicer looking key.

DaleC

[/img]

·
Registered
167 Posts
Gas Tank Lock Cover Problem

I bought GL1800 Radio knobs from Honda dealer. Not much more $$ than others and they match the radio knobs.
Just another option on spare keys.

Also, if you remove the seat and the two top shelter nuts at the rear (may need to remove the side screws as well) you should be able to reach up under and depress the latch without removing the 2 screws that hold the cover on.

Just a couple of options...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Chrome knobs

Suggest you go to the Harley Dealer and they have the right size chrome caps, about 4 bucks each, pricey but then again what isn't with these bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.