GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use premium gas in their Goldwing 1800 or just reg like the book says? I have a friend that says he gets better mileage using premium, but mine seems to run just fine using regular

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Regular kinda guy here....bike runs fine, but tends to knock a bit when twistin the throttle a bit too hard. What can I say, it just happens. Buying the high(er) octane stuff is throwing your money away.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Does anyone use premium gas in their Goldwing 1800 or just reg like the book says? I have a friend that says he gets better mileage using premium, but mine seems to run just fine using regular
I did at first, was like taking your woman out for fancy vittles on the first few dates, she will always expect it.. Much feed back and advice from here I switched to 87. The ping was bad at first but after adding a good fuel injector cleaner, a few names come up here i.e. Techtron or seafoam, you will be on track. My ping is gone after a few tanks and now add it once a year.
May have impacted my mileage but not so much that I care. Plus the 87 is cheaper Up in CT we pay as much for gas as anyone.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Per owners manual, Regular (86-87 octane) is fine... an occasional light ping with hard acceleration is normal.

Using higher than needed octane can actually INCREASE carbon build-up on the plugs and top-end over time, as-well-as making Shell richer as they laugh over the acceptence of their marketing bulls**t.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Absolutely

Per owners manual, Regular (86-87 octane) is fine... an occasional light ping with hard acceleration is normal.

Using higher than needed octane can actually INCREASE carbon build-up on the plugs and top-end over time, as-well-as making Shell richer as they laugh over the acceptence of their marketing bulls**t.
What he said +10.
I don't hear any "pinging", if I was to hear any weird noises I would worry, but these engines will take any and all grades of gasoline, eastern europe grades included!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I've moved away from a GW at least till they can make one that fits me. LOL
2 up over Monarch pass, Raton Pass, and a few I have forgotten, running regular, and never a hiccup, ping, ding or gripe, all in hotter weather than most want to ride in. If you want to use it, go for it. If it is rattling, you may need to downshift.
The engine is designed to run on regular. As for "better" mileage, well hard to argue when I don't know, but would pretty much bet it is the other way around. Folks justify just about anything they want.
Cheers

·
Registered
262 Posts
High octane fuel burns at a higher temperature. High compression engines and air cooled engines need that to prevent pre ignition. Use the lowest octane your engine can run on with out pinging for the best performance.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Regular is all that is needed. Pay less per gallon and use the savings to buy more gallons to ride further and have even more fun. No reason to spend more than is necessary since no extra benefit will come with premium, and as mentioned above, there may even be some physical problems with using premium.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I had the side cover by the oil fill tube off the other day. I decided to clean off the stickers on it. One of them said to use 91 octane gas. I don't use it, but I was surprised to see that.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Regular 87 octane for me...one of the features I appreciate over other makes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
High octane gasoline burns slower than low octane gasoline. The slow burn prevents engine knock when cylinder pressures are high.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
[QUOTEUsing higher than needed octane can actually INCREASE carbon build-up on the plugs and top-end over time, as-well-as making Shell richer as they laugh over the acceptence of their marketing bulls**t. ][/QUOTE]

:agree: but you are gonna get called for this if the right people see it.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
[quote
i usually use mid grade as the regular here in utah is only 85 octane.​
]
[/quote]

I was in Utah last week and I used the 85 proof in my bike and it worked really well. I don't think you need as high an octane at higher elevations as you do closer to sea level.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
The GL1800 does not need high test... unless something is wrong. My Kawasaki, on the other hand, better have 91 octane... or else.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
High octane fuel burns at a higher temperature. High compression engines and air cooled engines need that to prevent pre ignition. Use the lowest octane your engine can run on with out pinging for the best performance.
That is not really accurate. Higher octane fuels are less volatile, meaning they burn slower and more controlled than lower octane fuels. If anything, lower octane burns at a higher temperature. It is a more violent burn. That is why you get pinging if you try to use regular in a high compression engine.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I tried premium gas and lost fuel mileage, but I will run mid grade if very hot out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts