GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just doing some general clean up oil change stuff to my 2009 Goldwing this morning. As I was cleaning out around the fuel cap and the fuel tray, I noticed that half of that rubber gasket was not sealed. Only half of the gasket was snug so any overfill of gas would gun down under the tray housing on top of the gas tank. That does not sound like a good thing.. A closer looked revealed that the gasket has tabs along the outside edge which holds it secure and in place on the tray. I used all the tricks I know trying to push the tabs back down to seat the gasket but could never get them to stay. Anyone know if the shelter needs to come off to get this gasket replaced or back into the proper location/position? Any one ever replace this fuel tray gasket.

jsr

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Year ???
Mileage ???

Yes, the shelter needs removed. I replace the gasket and the try often ... enough to usually stock at least 2 of each. The 3rd part is the hose that routes from the tray past hot exhaust. Often the hose is not routed correctly, and its lower end get hard from being too close to the exhaust, or from age.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2009 level 3. 78300 miles

Looks like I need to order a new tray and gasket. Should I go ahead and get this done or wait till the shelter comes off for air filter this winter

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I have always re installed that rubber gasket after the top shelter has been re installed, spray it with a little Honda cleaner polish will make it slip into place a little easier, use a very small screwdriver to help slip it in place, yes it’s a pain but I’m still using the original gasket and tray after 536,000 miles.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
2009 level 3. 78300 miles

Looks like I need to order a new tray and gasket. Should I go ahead and get this done or wait till the shelter comes off for air filter this winter
For me I'd wait. The only time the tray has to be pulled off is to inspect the small breather hose at the top of the fuel tank, or when there is problems with tray fitment. When you pull the tray off, be sure every finger is not bent or breaking. As for the gasket, it must easily maintain its fitment once it is installed correctly. If the tray has any broke fingers, replace it. If the gasket does not easily maintain it position, replace it. If the above is not done, it can means that refitting the tray when installing the shelter can be excessively challenging. Sometimes the shelter will need removed again, to fit the tray correctly, multiple times.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Ain't it a booger?! I replaced the one on my 2002 twice without opening the shelter. First time I sprayed it with PAM cooking oil spray, next time I used a spritz automobile polish, Lucas, I think. The trick, other than wetting it with something slippery, is to start at one point with both hands, let one hand continue clockwise and the other counter clockwise to meet at the other end of the circle.

prs

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced the tray and the rubber seal. Cheap fix. Easy if you remove top shelter. The original seal was hard @ in bad shape due to age.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts