GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2018 DCT Tour used, a little over a year ago. I have put on over 10,000 miles. I was skeptical of Honda's claim that mileage improvements would compensate for reduced fuel capacity. This past week, I rode with a good friend who has a 2016 GL1800. We rode at least five tank fill ups together. Our riding was a mixture of highway (75+ mph) and at times slower back roads (55+/- mph). In every case, he was taking at least a gallon more than me when we filled up. Based on his numbers compared to mine and the capacity of the tanks, we believe he would have run out before me. I suppose I need to get over my skepticism?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Doesn't quite make up the difference IMHO......compared to my 2001 & 2009......but the 2018+ is definitely much better in fuel mileage numbers.
If they would have kept the same sized tank then we'd of really had something!

The 7 Gal tank on my BMW K1600 was awesome.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You have to ask US whether you should believe your own real world experience that your DCT Wing gets better fuel economy than your buddy's '16 Wing?

Weirdly, my '19 DCT Tour even beats my previous '14 BMW R1200RT, which required premium unleaded.

Yes, the new DCT Wings ARE more fuel efficient than the last gen. I can easily run 400 km on a tank.

Tim

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't quite make up the difference IMHO......compared to my 2001 & 2009......but the 2018+ is definitely much better in fuel mileage numbers.
If they would have kept the same sized tank then we'd of really had something!

The 7 Gal tank on my BMW K1600 was awesome.
I am not sure I understand. Are you saying you got more miles out of a tank of gas, on your 2001 & 2009? If so, how did you measure that?

We drove the exact same route, same miles, same speeds and ultimately, I would have been able to go further on a tank of gas on my 2018 than my buddy could have on his 2016. This happened five times.

My GTLE gets REALLY bad gas mileage! :rolleyes: I am lucky to get a couple hundred miles on a tank of gas.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Thanks for posting this info (I was honestly wondering myself, how big of a difference the new bike made) thank you..........
My friend has a Honda Valkyrie and when I ride with him, he always uses more fuel then I do... BUT he has 6 carburetors / and we have injectors ......

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I am not sure I understand. Are you saying you got more miles out of a tank of gas, on your 2001 & 2009? If so, how did you measure that?

We drove the exact same route, same miles, same speeds and ultimately, I would have been able to go further on a tank of gas on my 2018 than my buddy could have on his 2016. This happened five times.

My GTLE gets REALLY bad gas mileage! :rolleyes: I am lucky to get a couple hundred miles on a tank of gas.
Range before fill on my 2001 & 2009 was more than my 2019.......
Range before fill on my 2014 K1600 was much more than my 2019.

I take a lot of the same rides consistently and I can not make some of the rides without the need to fill up on the 2019.......had no issue on any of the other mentioned bikes.
Not scientific, but I've taken these same exact rides for many decades and I know how far I can get on each bike. Riding style is the same as it always has been.

2019 Goldwing = ~ 47 MPG (5.5 gal tank - 258 mile range)
2014 K1600 = ~ 42 MPG (7.0 gal tank - 294 mile range)
2001/2009 Goldwing = ~ 42 MPG (6.6 gal tank - 277 mile range)

btw -
if your getting less than 200 mile range on your K1600 there is something drastically wrong.......with a 7 Gal tank that's 28 MPG!
I consistently got low 40's with my 2014 K1600 GTL-E.

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
You will have trouble agreeing. Fuel milage varies bike to bike same model and rider to rider where we are all different. In my experience, the range of my 2002 and2018 compare very closely. I try NOT to fret over such.

prs

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will have trouble agreeing. Fuel milage varies bike to bike same model and rider to rider where we are all different. In my experience, the range of my 2002 and2018 compare very closely. I try NOT to fret over such.
I agree, I just found it interesting. And I'm certainly not fretting over it, given gasoline at a buck and a half a gallon. What I was getting at, more than anything, is the criticism Honda has taken for the reduced tank capacity. May their claim that it hasn't reduced distance per tank isn't all smoke and mirrors after all. Obviously, everything is anecdotal unless tested under very controlled conditions. I just think my buddy and I did the best possible comparison without hard scrutiny; same ride, same speeds over extended period of time and distance. Your Miles May Vary (pun intended). By the way, I have ridden many miles, with the same friend with his '16, me on my '04. Then, he gets better miles per tank than me.

Range before fill on my 2001 & 2009 was more than my 2019.......
Range before fill on my 2014 K1600 was much more than my 2019.

I take a lot of the same rides consistently and I can not make some of the rides without the need to fill up on the 2019.......had no issue on any of the other mentioned bikes.
Not scientific, but I've taken these same exact rides for many decades and I know how far I can get on each bike. Riding style is the same as it always has been.

2019 Goldwing = ~ 47 MPG (5.5 gal tank - 258 mile range)
2014 K1600 = ~ 42 MPG (7.0 gal tank - 294 mile range)
2001/2009 Goldwing = ~ 42 MPG (6.6 gal tank - 277 mile range)

btw -
if your getting less than 200 mile range on your K1600 there is something drastically wrong.......with a 7 Gal tank that's 28 MPG!
I consistently got low 40's with my 2014 K1600 GTL-E.
Well, I don't run my K1600 completely dry and I will get between 28 and 32 miles per gallon (e.g. 7gal at 30mpg = 210miles). And there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with my K1600! I guess we must ride differently!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Both my 2013 and 2018 easily go over 200 miles per tank If not more. No worries for me.

Then there is the cost. I just filled up my truck for $.89 per gallon.... 33 gallons at the grocery store where we had $1 off per gallon in discount points. it’s been a long time since I paid so little for fuel.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Coming from Harleys, it's a huge advantage using Regular Unleaded. When I ride with friends on Harleys in remote areas, finding Premium for them can be really tough. I have to admit, at times it gets annoying having to drive by several perfectly good gas stations just to find Premium for them (sorry guys).

Looks like the BMW adventure bikes all require Premium which makes no sense when riding in remote areas. Maybe that's the reason for larger fuel tanks on BMW's? More time to tool around in search of Premium?

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Both my 2013 and 2018 easily go over 200 miles per tank If not more. No worries for me.

then there the cost. I just filled up my truck for $.89 per gallon.... 33 gallons at the grocery store where we had $1 off per gallon in discount points. been a long time since I paid so little for fuel.
Paying .88 per litre 'here'. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my 2018 DCT Tour used, a little over a year ago. I have put on over 10,000 miles. I was skeptical of Honda's claim that mileage improvements would compensate for reduced fuel capacity. This past week, I rode with a good friend who has a 2016 GL1800. We rode at least five tank fill ups together. Our riding was a mixture of highway (75+ mph) and at times slower back roads (55+/- mph). In every case, he was taking at least a gallon more than me when we filled up. Based on his numbers compared to mine and the capacity of the tanks, we believe he would have run out before me. I suppose I need to get over my skepticism?
I'm thinking you should have weighed both bikes in order to do a fair comparison, given his bags hold more than yours, so there's no telling what he might have been carrying o_O

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm thinking you should have weighed both bikes in order to do a fair comparison, given his bags hold more than yours, so there's no telling what he might have been carrying o_O
True! I would be afraid to ask him. But, given that I did carry all the beer with ice for one leg, and I do outweigh him by 50 lbs, you're right, it was an unfair comparison. 😁 And, before anyone asks, we do run exactly the same tire pressures 36 front and 41 rear. He has an aftermarket TPMS system and of course the 2018 has pressure readouts.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Good Morning,

I saw this post yesterday and was going out for a small ride and stopped and took these pictures before I pulled out on the main roads. I am consistently getting better mileage AND tank range with my 2018 DCT Tour vs my 2004 GW I rode for 13 years. Here are four pictures from the bike yesterday showing Trip A mileage and range for current tank, Trip B mileage avg for over 4,000 mile average. Current range on this tank shows 276 mile range and I have gotten better than that. I live at 750' above sea level. The gas gauge and expected range has proven at least to me to be almost dead on. Doing the math the old fashion way checking mpg a few times after I got the bike to ensure I could trust what I was seeing when planning fuel stops. The 2004 GW I was really pushing my luck at 240 miles on the tank. I was looking for gas anywhere over 200 miles unless I knew a station was X miles away. This bike I ride much deeper mileage wise before starting a gas search. For me, the 2018 will go further on tank of gas with less gas IMG_8053.jpeg IMG_8054.jpeg IMG_8055.jpeg IMG_8056.jpeg than the old bike. And I loved the old bike!
IMG_8053.jpeg IMG_8054.jpeg
IMG_8053.jpeg IMG_8054.jpeg IMG_8055.jpeg

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Good Morning,

I saw this post yesterday and was going out for a small ride and stopped and took these pictures before I pulled out on the main roads. I am consistently getting better mileage AND tank range with my 2018 DCT Tour vs my 2004 GW I rode for 13 years. Here are four pictures from the bike yesterday showing Trip A mileage and range for current tank, Trip B mileage avg for over 4,000 mile average. Current range on this tank shows 276 mile range and I have gotten better than that. I live at 750' above sea level. The gas gauge and expected range has proven at least to me to be almost dead on. Doing the math the old fashion way checking mpg a few times after I got the bike to ensure I could trust what I was seeing when planning fuel stops. The 2004 GW I was really pushing my luck at 240 miles on the tank. I was looking for gas anywhere over 200 miles unless I knew a station was X miles away. This bike I ride much deeper mileage wise before starting a gas search. For me, the 2018 will go further on tank of gas with less gas View attachment 369521 View attachment 369522 View attachment 369523 View attachment 369524 than the old bike. And I loved the old bike! View attachment 369521 View attachment 369522 View attachment 369521 View attachment 369522 View attachment 369523 View attachment 369521 View attachment 369522 View attachment 369523 View attachment 369524
I have had the EXACT same results! I also have a 2004 GL1800a although it is quarantined in Germany right now. I have found I get tremendous range when I fill it with diesel (but that's another story). 😁 I have purposefully (and by accident) ran my 2004 out of gas several times. Those mileages were somewhere between 223 and 237 miles. On the 2018 DCT tour, I have gone over that mileage several times and felt I could have still done 20 or 30 miles more.

I'm not trying to start an argument with this post. I was just trying to say that, given the mistakes Honda has made with the design, (e.g. trunk to small for two XL helmets, helmet lock, overall storage capacity, seat comfort, GPS), Honda seems to have gotten at least this detail regarding expanded range per tank right.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I rode 740 km through the Rockies yesterday (8+ hours). It was a group ride of 16+ bikes & we cruised along about 100 km/hr. It was in the National Park so speed limit is only 90km/hr! I averaged 52 mpg overall! That is truly unbelievable! It also shows that Don Guhl’s re-flash does not affect your mileage! I am stoked!

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
A slightly different comparison is my 2006 ABS with my friend's 2006 base model. We go on 2-week trips every summer. During the trip we are both pulling loaded down Bunkhouse campers. He's 2-up, I'm sometimes two up. Some days we ride without the campers (when we stay in the same campground for more than one night). So the exact same bikes going the exact same miles. Every time we fill up during the trip - under any circumstance - he is always putting a half a gallon or more into his tank than I am. Usually 0.4 to 0.7 gallons. That's running it down to somewhere between a quarter tank and the "Empty" light coming on.

I always wondered why it was so consistent on basically the exact same bike. The first few years I was solo and pulling a ligher, smaller KwikKamp. But after getting the Bunkhouse and a wife (we outweigh our friends by a 100 lbs easy) the difference was about the same.

I learned a couple things as time went on. At 80,000 miles my friend is still on his original spark plugs. At 100,000 miles I've changed my plugs a few times. I think 16,000 is too often but definitely by 30,000. Also, I go by the book with oil and use 10w30. I found out he uses 20w50! I don't get it. But a heavier oil is going to make the engine work harder. Another friend in southern Nevada runs 20w50 too because "it's hotter weather" there. I told him his Wing doesn't run any hotter there than mine does in Montana. LOL! Oh well...

The point is that even comparing the exact same bikes you can get consistently different results. There's many other factors involved - some not so obvious as others.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts