GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year the two of us went to Cape Breton and I got some great travel tips here and looking for your valuable input for this years tour of Gaspesie peninsula. This year it looks like it will be 3 couples on 5 bikes. Leaving northern CT on Friday the 4th of july or Saturday the 5th. Need to be back the 17th so we have some time and would like to stay one night in Old Quebec City may want to stay a second night but that is up in the air. If it was up to me I would Highway it most of the way but others would like to stay off the slab as much as possible. I am of the mind to head to Quebec City straight away and then head NE till we get to peninsula. Then cross to the south shore and make the loop counter clockwise then head home. I would like some Ideas of things we "Don't want to miss", Good accommodations located out at the point. Perhaps we could rent a cabin for 6 adults. Any route suggestions or tips you have are welcome.

Thanks again for any thoughts.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I would cut across MA and head to NH rte. 16. Lots of scenery and tourist places to stop through the White Mountains. Once you pass Pinkham Notch and Mount Washington there's not much traffic. Follow Rte. 16 all the way into ME or Rte. 2. Both will take you to Rte. 201. Take 201 up to the Canadian border. It's a beautiful ride along the Kenebec River.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I would cut across MA and head to NH rte. 16. Lots of scenery and tourist places to stop through the White Mountains. Once you pass Pinkham Notch and Mount Washington there's not much traffic. Follow Rte. 16 all the way into ME or Rte. 2. Both will take you to Rte. 201. Take 201 up to the Canadian border. It's a beautiful ride along the Kenebec River.
:agree: Cross the border after Jackman. I did the Gaspe' several years ago with a group on snowmobiles. Go via River Duloup, Ramoski etc.. Northern route is very nice. Try this link it may help. http://www.quebecmaritime.ca/en/sports-and-outdoor-recreation

·
Registered
532 Posts
thru new england

Check out newenglandriders they have every ride listed for the north country go to there forum and ask easy ed Im sure he has been there.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Almost 2 weeks is more than enough time for sure.Don't try riding the bike in the old part of Quebec City as the streets are cobblestone or something similar.For the amount of time you have I wouldn't be running any slab.Too many good backroads to enjoy.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
make sure you look at Cabbot Trail too though it was a bit bumpy in spots. Phenomenal vistas.

Gotta love Nova Scotia. I have a friend in Halifax who would be happy to help ya if you are headed that way....

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you DO ride the Cabot Trail...turn left after you cross the Causeway at Port Hastings and take Hwy 19 up the west coast all the way up and around. Most go straight ahead to Baddeck & head west to join it at Margaree Forks and miss the best part of the trip.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All good advice thanks. I am mapping out some options this week and have a meeting with a few of the others that are coming. Doug we did cape Breton last year and it was amazing. Stayed a mile off the trail in a cabin for four nights. A bit of Rd construction on the north side but not too bad. Im from New England so their rough spots are nothing.

Thanks for any accommodation recommendations any one has too.
S

·
Registered
351 Posts
Contact the Quebec Tourist Bureau on line and they'll send you a nice package. If you're doing Cape Breton, don't forget to stop here and get some great chicken -

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Contact the Quebec Tourist Bureau on line and they'll send you a nice package. If you're doing Cape Breton, don't forget to stop here and get some great chicken -

The guy at the gas station recommended that place. Always ask the locals were they eat, thats the way.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Border Xing

We are looking to follow 100 all the way up through VT. Looks like it hits 243 to cross the border or heads toward 91 to cross. Any one have a preference as to what place is best? It will be the 6th of july early afternoon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts