GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look'n for a NRF directional tread design that performs in the curves. Murgie? Rail? Anyone? What we gonna do?

prs

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Falken Ziex 912 or Discount Tires Falken 612. (Non directional though)

Tire-easy has them for $57 and they are awesome in the twisties. Just dont expect great wear from them.

Yoko Avid Envigor NRF is directional but doesnt has a rim protector.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Yep. Falkens is your choice.
Agree . Still have not tried the discount tire version yet . But I am confident it will be fine .

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Belated "THANK YOU".

I am on MC tires right now, but have a rear rim just begging for a new shoe. I did not like the Alpin tires I used for spirited riding. I will see about getting a Falken. Then when someone questions my use of alternative tires, I can tell them mind their own Falken business.

Oh, almost forgot; what size? 195/55/16?

prs

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it on order. $103.00 with free shipping via Amazon Prime. Is that a typical price for Falken Ziex 195-55R 16 ?

prs

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Yeah, hundred bucks seems to be the going rate. Back in spring they were going for at lot less. Like $51 each. 40 (set of 4) for shipping. We took advantage of that and stocked up. I have 3 rims mounted and 4 tires waiting their turn.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your are wearing them down like an art-gum eraser! Good on you. I am not quite so aggressive.

prs

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I got 14,000 out of mine if I remember correctly, but wore the center out first:oops:.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did not ask about specific model numbers, but the one I received is a 960. Yellow Wolf seems to be pleased with model 612, which I have not found yet. I do see a model 912 in same size that is very similar, just a pound heavier in weight. Murgie and or Rail, did I get the wrong thing? I may as well give it ride anyway.

prs

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
The 612 that YW runs is the Falken Ziex ZE 912 that is made exclusively for Discount Tire. I am not familiar with the 960. Do you have a link for that tire?
Could it be a ZE950?

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 612 that YW runs is the Falken Ziex ZE 912 that is made exclusively for Discount Tire. I am not familiar with the 960. Do you have a link for that tire?
Could it be a ZE950?

Here:

http://www.falkentire.com/tires/car-tires/ziex-ze950/s-tire it is:

The center tread pattern is a little different, the weight is a little less. If no one has run it, I reckon I am the tester. I wanted one that was tried and true since I was not totally happy with Alpin.

prs

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Let us know how you like the 950. Does it have a rim protector? (Bead lock)

When I researched the tire (months ago), I was curious if it had a rim protector and even called Falken HQ in California. They told me no rim protector.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ohio, I am not sure what a rim protector is. The tire does have a rib of rubber that extends outward beyond the rim's bead seat's outer wall. It that what you desire? I might get my daughter to get a pic for us later today.

The tire is mounted now and it was WAY easy to mount just like Yellow Wolf said. I set pressure at 50# and applied Windex (vinegar formulae) and no bubbles. I have a new B'stone on right now and will watch this one for air loss for a few days. It seated with two big BANGS and took 1/2oz OE type weights right at the Schrader valve to balance (yellow dot on my rim's heavy spot close to Schreader).

prs

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discount Tires has a Falken Ziex ZE-612+ for $80 shipped. Is this the right tire? I have a spare rear wheel and am thinking about trying a CT. Mileage will not be the main consideration, traction will, as the tire will be used more for riding in the mountains here, two up. I'll probably just stick to the G704 for touring.

BTW, what mileage is everyone getting on the Falken 612s?

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, that is the tire some are riding with great zeal. The life span is not gonna be anything to brag about if my guess is correct, but that is not the point. It is a soft compound tire. If long life is your quest, there are other choices that should impress you

prs

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yes, that is the tire some are riding with great zeal. The life span is not gonna be anything to brag about if my guess is correct, but that is not the point. It is a soft compound tire. If long life is your quest, there are other choices that should impress you

prs
As I said, I'll just stick to the G704 for touring, the Falken would just be for riding our mountain roads.

BTW, my son lives in Williamson, I usually ride through Grundy and across Grapevine to go see him. A couple of months ago we rode 16 up to 10 and rode that over to Logan, then down 44 and 52 into Williamson. Nice ride, not really twisty but still nice. Sometimes instead of going across Grapevine we will take 194 across the mountain and go through Matewan. 194 across the mountain is a nice reasonably twisty rode if you don't mind the coal trucks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts