GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2005 GL1800A that I bought a couple of years ago. Last year, while on the first leg of a 10-day trip, we got caught in some heavy rain. At one point I had to make a rather abrupt stop and, when starting back out again, noticed that none of my gauges were working. No speedometer, tachometer, temperature, fuel gauge, odometer, trip-ometer, nor cruise control (which makes sense if the speedometer is out of commission). After checking, I also found that my fog lights and rear running lights were also not working. Brake lights were fine as were turn signals but the turn signals would not cancel.

I figured water had somehow shorted something out since this was the first time the bike had been ridden in hard rain. Pulled into a parking lot and checked the fuse #5 and it was blown (this was also when I found out I didn't have running lights - talk about a pucker factor: rain and no running lights!). Anyway, replaced the fuse and didn't make it out of the parking lot before it blew again. Long story short is we finished the ride without gauges or running lights.

Once I get back home again, I decided to replace the fuse again. Everything works as designed! At this point, I'm thinking it was definitely moisture-related. Until... driving to work in January (read, it's dark). It's dry but a little chilly. I'm about halfway to the office when, out of the blue, the gauges stop working again. Replace the fuse when I get there; blows immediately. Okay, maybe not moisture-related.

I then read through a lot of the forum threads here and saw mention of the C5 connector being a potential culprit. I'm not really mechanically inclined and stay away from hot and wet things in the house too, i.e., electrical and plumbing.

So I take it to the dealership and ask them to look into, checking C5 first. Result: connector is supposedly fine but I need to have the main wiring harness replaced to the tune of $2,000. That's a little too steep for my budget right now so the bike is back in my driveway, running perfectly fine except for gauges, running lights, fog lights, cruise control, etc. :(

I took the seat off but can't find the C5 connector (I'm looking for a blue plug, right?) so here I am... with a bunch of questions...

First, am I on the right track? And, if so, where exactly do I find the C5 connector?

If the problem is with the connector, should I expect the fuse to be blowing or is that related to something else? If it is to be expected, how do I proceed if it's blown? Do I need to have a good one in there to continue?

Do I need the key on at point during the process? Or explicitly make sure it's off?

Is there anything else I need? Is there anything to be on the lookout for? What things should I be sure to do so that I don't compound my problems?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. It will be greatly appreciated.

Mark

·
Vendor
22,053 Posts
It sounds like you have a short in the wire harness that is causing the fuse to blow. You are probably going to need to do some in-depth electrical troubleshooting to locate the short. The dealers don't want (or know how) to spend the effort to locate the short and fix it, so they just want to replace the whole harness, which costs a lot of money and will probably take even more time.

I'd start by determining the exact conditions that blow the fuse. Does it blow when the brakes are applied or does it blow as soon as you plug it in? Do you have any trailer wiring on the bike? If so, first disconnect it all and see if the problem is there.

Come back here and post what you find and we will try to walk you through the process of finding it.

·
Vendor
22,053 Posts
Oh, and by the way, since the problem started after riding in the rain, its possible you got water into one of the sockets for one of the tail lights and it is now shorting to ground. You might want to remove all your tail light bulbs, including the license plate light, and carefully inspect the sockets. The fix may be as simple as cleaning/fixing one socket.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Interesting (and great info) here..Thanks Fred

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I would also try to see what ad-ons are not working when the fuse is out. Ad-on wiring can be grounding out from wearing through. Like poorly routed trailer wiring as Fred said. Good luck, as an FYI, mine has run through so much rain, I got caught on an interstate in a severe storm with pea size hail mixed in and no issues afterwards. So, once you find it, you’ll be good to go again.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,363 Posts
I’m guessing it will be corrosion from the rain dripping from the upper vent onto the connectors in the white frame under the left fairing pocket. This is where the gauge wiring passes through.

·
Vendor
22,053 Posts
I’m guessing it will be corrosion from the rain dripping from the upper vent onto the connectors in the white frame under the left fairing pocket. This is where the gauge wiring passes through.

That's a very good point, and worth checking out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I'll double check but I think the fuse is blowing as soon as I turn the ignition key on. No trailer hookups. Only add-ons are GPS (working fine), "blinky" brake lights (working fine), and upgraded speakers (working fine).

I don't have a garage; the bike is under a Bike Barn. There's rain expected the next couple of days so it'll be a while before I can check ask the suggestions. Thanks. I'll get back when it clears up

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,363 Posts
Thanks. I'll double check but I think the fuse is blowing as soon as I turn the ignition key on. No trailer hookups. Only add-ons are GPS (working fine), "blinky" brake lights (working fine), and upgraded speakers (working fine).

I don't have a garage; the bike is under a Bike Barn. There's rain expected the next couple of days so it'll be a while before I can check ask the suggestions. Thanks. I'll get back when it clears up
These are the connectors you should check under the left pocket when you get the chance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts