GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've owned my '21 DCT Tour since April 2021 coming from an ST1300. Several of my ST buddies want an in depth review of the Wing and comparison to my ST. I plan on obliging them after a three week trip in September.

Would anyone be interested in such a long post here?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I've owned my '21 DCT Tour since April 2021 coming from an ST1300. Several of my ST buddies want an in depth review of the Wing and comparison to my ST. I plan on obliging them after a three week trip in September.

Would anyone be interested in such a long post here?
I am. I enjoy reading all the posts here. The only ones I may jump over are the technical mechanical ones because I'll never be mistaken for a Technician. LOL. It's not that I don't like them, I don't understand them most of the time.

I am interested because I had an ST1300 (2009) and loved everything about it but the HEAT from that engine. I didn't ride that one much in the summer;) But that bike was a rocket ship when you you twisted the throttle hard!

It will be nice to see your comments. I always thought it would be a nice Touring bike if it had a trunk box and a straight sit up position with a nice seat. Honda finally made one but it was a couple of years after I had already bought the Ultra Classic.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Yes, it should prove to be an interesting comparison of the two machines.

·
Registered
8,635 Posts
I'd b ALL ears also

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,806 Posts
First off,
I've never educated myself on the ST1300. The only thing I've HEARD is, they get the riders SERIOUSLY HOT based on how they vent the heat from the engine. Second, If I'm not mistaken, I think I've seen many police departments use the ST1300 for their choice of motorcycles. Other that those mentioned items, not a clue about the ST.

As for, would anyone be interested in reading about your "long post"? Well, one thing about reading, either on here or anywhere in and on the planet, if you get bored, you simply veer away and go look at something else for however long you desire. Then, when interest crops up again, buzz on back and finish the read.
Scott

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
607 Posts
The ST reminds me the Lexus GX460.....LOL. Zero changes for so many years. Nothing to change if it's a superb machine. And BTW, I saw a new, zero miles at a dealer a year ago. I could not believed it. he had a sign saying, special for the season.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Articulate, well written reviews are always welcome.

I had a 2003 ST1300A. It was a very good bike.

Engine heat is not an issue for us Northerners, in fact it’s welcome. We’re mostly trying to keep warm. The ST1300 was a great bike in its day, but needed a 6th gear, suffered from weird aerodynamics which caused a “pushing” effect on the rider’s back, and the steering got twitchy when riding in the dirty air behind/beside 18-wheelers.

Other folks’ impressions are always interesting.

Tim

·
Registered
20,443 Posts
Me not really. Don't need someone to justify my purchase. You own the best touring bike currently made. If it helps you to justify your purchase knock yourself out

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,591 Posts
I always think of the heat issue I read about when riding my son's ST1300....but I never really feel it myself. When riding the ST 1300 it doesn't offer the wind management that the Wing does...the windshield has to be nearly all the way up and looking thru it to have the quietness and still air in the cockpit that the Wing offers with its shield halfway up and your looking over the windshield....the ST 1300 bends your legs back and leans you over more with the handlebars giving a more sportbike like feel...and for some reason there is a pushing effect from the air stream on the riders back with the windshield full up at speed.

Riding down the road the Wing is much more comfortable than the ST for me and I couldn't see myself riding it on long days after experiencing the Wing....but my 30 year old son has done a 900 mile day on the ST and overall he says he was comfortable...but he was complaining about his butt hurting dispite having a aftermarket seat...a RDL would fix that issue.

IMO, the ST is more suitable for a younger man who doesn't mine the more sportbike like ergonomics...somebody who is accustomed to the Gold Wings ergonomics will most likely not like the ST for much more than a local ride.

The ST is 90 lbs lighter than the 2018 plus Wing but it feels like the heavier bike and the ST is less confident inspiring in the parking lot compared to the Gold Wing.

The ST has excellent tip over bars and its a good thing because the ST is very top heavy and is easier to tip over...most ST 1300's I've seen out in the wild have been over....you can see the scratched up plastic tip over covers...but no other damage

Both the Wing and the ST have fantastic engines with the Wings bigger flat six offering more torque, but the ST is shorter, lighter, has more ground clearance and will walk away from the Wing in the twisties...its faster in a straight line.

Fuel mileage is better with the latest Gold Wing, even when pulling my Bushtec....but the ST has over 7 gallons so it has very good range...more range than most will want to ride without a stop to stretch your legs.

Maintenance...air filter change is easy with the ST...coolant changes require the fairing panels to come off just like with the wing...oil and brake fluid changes are similar tasks.

I think the ST 1300 styling has aged well and it's 20 year old design still looks pretty modern today.....the ST did have nice features back in 2005...nice engine and brakes, nice mirrors, power windshield, ABS, adjustable seat, very nice heated grips that unlike with the wing, get very hot, coated wheels, large removable saddlebags that you can put a full face helmet in, and at the time Honda was selling these bikes, a Honda color matched tour pack was available....but sadly no self canceling turn signals...Honda always seems to delete features that should be there for some reason.

Overall the the 20 year old ST is still a pretty nice motorcycle if your looking for a affordable sport tourer and if it's ergonomics are a fit for you....but in the touring department it's no Gold Wing and make no mistake the ST is a step down as a touring machine...the only thing the ST and latest Gold Wing have in common is some styling cues and the Honda badge.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Me not really. Don't need someone to justify my purchase. You own the best touring bike currently made. If it helps you to justify your purchase knock yourself out
As a life-long motorcycle enthusiast, I have always subscribed to the premier motorcycle magazines, Cycle World, Cycle, Motorcyclist, Cycle Guide, and Cycle Canada, immersing myself in reviews of all motorcycles.

I still read daily on internet channels such as MCN and Visor Down (U.K.), and Motorcycle Daily to read the latest news about new and upcoming motorcycles.

To me, reading credible reviews is part of the enjoyment of motorcycling. It has nothing to do with justifying one’s purchase. But then again, unlike the majority of you who have rich, fulfilling lives, I consume reviews so I can live vicariously to escape my pitiful existence. :)

Tim

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I rode an ST1300 for 180,000 miles. At times in my ownership I thought I’d be on an ST as long as I was riding. It did absolutely everything I ever asked it to do from slow speed precision maneuvers to long days in the mountains to crossing the continent in 42 hours. I did too many 500 plus mile days to remember and enough 1000 plus mile days to remember each. The ST is a sport touring bike and the Wing is a touring bike. There is some overlap but no one ever calls an ST an old man’s bike. When my wife wanted to start riding on the back l moved to the Wing. When I’m solo, which is about 99% of the time, I missed having a bike that was exciting and inspiring to ride and the RT fills that role now instead of another ST. There have been other Wing to ST comparisons and they have been as different as the rider/authors than wrote them. I look forward to reading another.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,591 Posts
There is some overlap but no one ever calls an ST an old man’s bike.
Not really...the young people still look at the ST as a old man's bike...when my son..28 at the time...got his ST, his friends kidded him about why did he buy a pop pop bike..I was surprised but young people view things alot different than we do..maybe it was the saddlebags and the tour pack...but to me the ST looks very sporty...but to them it looked like a old man's bike.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That you would not be interested is fine. That's what I was asking. You should have just stopped after your first three words. Nothing in my post said anything about justifying your purchase or me mine. Nothing was even mentioned about a review of the "best touring bike currently made". It was a request from some STers about the real world differences between the two bikes beyond what is in the specs and I just thought some here might be interested also.

I will put you down as "not interested". And apparently you read things into my post that was not there resulting in your rather rude comment. There are always a few rude replies in every forum. Congratulations on being my first since I joined this site.

• Love
Reactions: Steve 0080
1 - 20 of 36 Posts