GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
SteveO, write the review. I’m sure many will be informed by your observations.

As a former ST1300A (and ST1100A) owner, I look forward to your commentary.

(As an aside, I was part of the online ST owner community, and when the last gen GL1800s were launched in 2001, numerous ST1100 owners bought Wings and the consensus was the then ‘new’ Wing handled “almost” as well as their former ST1100s, a remarkable engineering feat by Honda engineers.)

Go for it.

Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've owned my '21 DCT Tour since April 2021 coming from an ST1300. Several of my ST buddies want an in depth review of the Wing and comparison to my ST. I plan on obliging them after a three week trip in September.

Would anyone be interested in such a long post here?
That would be a fun read! Had an ST1100 in the 90's and really liked that bike...one of my favorites (loved the cam drive whine). I've always liked 'sport-touring' and have gone from a Concours C14 and now a '22 RT. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had a ST-1100 & ST-1300. Now have a 21 DCT Tour

ST were more fun to ride aggressively, but they we’re top heavy. I don’t think I ever rode the ST’s bikes where I didn’t go over 100 mph at least for a short distance. They really like to run at higher speeds. A ST at a 100 mph feels like a wing at 80.. The Goldwing is more comfortable to ride longer distances.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've put 600,000+ miles on 1500s. This may I wanted something more sporting and w better mpg so I got a 06 st1300 as well. After the first 2000 miles I reshaped the front seat to give me a "wing bucket" then reupholstered the rear using the seat foam from a wing seat to give me my backrest. I then added Rostra cruise control, my own adjustable bars, and wing foot pegs.
What I ended up w was a seating position similar to the wing but much narrowed. It gets almost twice the economy of the 1500 at normal cruising speed. Ive been able to do a few 2000/36 and 1500/24s comfortably since. But it beats me up on anything long and twisty. What it gains in sporting handling it suffers in lack of broad torque range or simple power.
So I'm constantly left wondering if a newer 1800 is the answer.... Can I have the power of the wing in a sporting package?

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
927 Posts
So I'm constantly left wondering if a newer 1800 is the answer.... Can I have the power of the wing in a sporting package?
Short answer... YES
I think so anyway.

The new wing is a completely different animal to the 1500 or gen 5 1800. I've had my 2019 on the track a couple of times and it surprised a lot of sport bike riders to have their mirrors filled with Goldwing headlights for the entire session. Most came and shook my hand afterwards.

Don't take my word for it, take one for a test ride - but not unless you're cashed up and ready to buy 😁.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hey SteveST1800, post number 14 looks like Roadie's taking all the work out of this for you. ;) I for one would enjoy reading about anybody's motorcycle. I'm sure there are many here that don't even know what an ST is much less the comparison between the two bikes or how they ride.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I've owned my '21 DCT Tour since April 2021 coming from an ST1300. Several of my ST buddies want an in depth review of the Wing and comparison to my ST. I plan on obliging them after a three week trip in September.

Would anyone be interested in such a long post here?
How many miles have you put on?

·
Registered
303 Posts
the ST1100 was a better bike in many ways than the 1300, the gearing was better a more relaxed top gear and absolutely no heat issues, also the fuel tank was under the seat so the balance was better, ive had 3 goldwings 2002, 2012 and now the 2022, is bike is the best wing by a massive margin, but overall, the best bike i ever owned was my ST1100, I wonder if the people who call this new wing a ST1800 ever owned an ST, the new wing is definitely not an ST, it would need to loose at least 100kg to even come close, its still very much a goldwing, not saying that in a bad way, it just is what it is, the st1100 was a supremely comfortable bike, i once did a 900km run from Melbourne to Sydney stopping only once for fuel, it had the best standard seat of any motorcycle ive ever owned and they are bullet proof, apart from changing the steering head bearings to roller's and fitting progressive fork springs i did nothing to that bike, so many miles and smiles, man i miss that bike, should never have sold it

·
Registered
2021 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
How many miles have you put on?
Only about 8k but that's about to change. An usual amount of rain and work has helped keep the miles down. Work is finally getting manageable. I've got a September trip to Wisconsin then NC and then Arkansas on back to back to back weekends.

Reactions: bob2002

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
the ST1100 was a better bike in many ways than the 1300, the gearing was better a more relaxed top gear and absolutely no heat issues, also the fuel tank was under the seat so the balance was better, ive had 3 goldwings 2002, 2012 and now the 2022, is bike is the best wing by a massive margin, but overall, the best bike i ever owned was my ST1100, I wonder if the people who call this new wing a ST1800 ever owned an ST, the new wing is definitely not an ST, it would need to loose at least 100kg to even come close, its still very much a goldwing, not saying that in a bad way, it just is what it is, the st1100 was a supremely comfortable bike, i once did a 900km run from Melbourne to Sydney stopping only once for fuel, it had the best standard seat of any motorcycle ive ever owned and they are bullet proof, apart from changing the steering head bearings to roller's and fitting progressive fork springs i did nothing to that bike, so many miles and smiles, man i miss that bike, should never have sold it
And the 13 was better than the 11 in many ways. But that is beside the point.
The point of this thread was to see if anyone would be interested in a comparison between MY ST1300 and MY Goldwing. Yes I own both and IMHO the 6th Gen Wing is a ST1800, meaning a cross between the two. But it IS a Wing, no misconceptions here.
After my Sept trip I will give a real world comparison of the two bikes. Not so much numbers based but a (admittedly) subjective review.
Since the ST is no more, my review may help some owners make the leap as I have to the Goldwing, which can only be good for Honda and us.

Reactions: Bob North

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
And the 13 was better than the 11 in many ways. But that is beside the point.
The point of this thread was to see if anyone would be interested in a comparison between MY ST1300 and MY Goldwing. Yes I own both and IMHO the 6th Gen Wing is a ST1800, meaning a cross between the two. But it IS a Wing, no misconceptions here.
After my Sept trip I will give a real world comparison of the two bikes. Not so much numbers based but a (admittedly) subjective review.
Since the ST is no more, my review may help some owners make the leap as I have to the Goldwing, which can only be good for Honda and us.
Regarding the transition from ST1300 to ‘18+ Gold Wing - I distinctly remember in 2001 when the 5th Gen Wing was launched and fellows were migrating from ST1100s to Wings, the consensus was the new Wing handled “almost as well” as ST1100s. (The new 5th gen Wing lead project engineer was the same engineer who had designed the then highly success CBRR600 race bike. His corporate instructions: “Make the (new 2001) Wing ‘handle.’”)

I’ve owned an ST1100, eventually an ‘07 Wing, then an ST1300, eventually the ‘19 Wing.

The ST1300 and new 6th Wing are much, much more alike than I recall the ST1100 and 5th Gen Wing being.

Fwiw.

Tim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The ST1300 and new 6th Wing are much, much more alike than I recall the ST1100 and 5th Gen Wing being.
I agree.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,620 Posts
And tears the joint hose between upper and lower fuel tanks thus spilling gas all over the place.
When I helped my son change the air filter in his ST1300 that wasn't a issue...the air filter change was quick and easy...but next time the tank is lifted we will look for that issue you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
When I helped my son change the air filter in his ST1300 that wasn't a issue...the air filter change was quick and easy...but next time the tank is lifted we will look for that issue you mentioned.
There is a maintenance position that the seat adjuster is placed in before the tank is slid back and lifted up. If the hose is old it’s still prone to tearing even if the service manual procedure is followed. I never tore one on my bike but I helped a couple friends tear theirs LOL.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts