GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Happy Thanksgiving! As I started my bike for my ritual Thanksgiving day ride (some years cold some/this year not so much) the bike fired up but the dashboard showed the following blinking display. I can't remember if that is the same thing it shows when doing the DCT calibration, but its been 6 months since the last time I did it and I can't fathom a guess as to why this happened. I shut down the bike, restarted it and everything was as normal and it ran great. Anyone have any ideas or similar experience? Anything to worry about?

Odometer Speedometer Gauge Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 GL
114 Posts
I haven't seen anything like that myself, but I have noticed the occasional oddity. Maybe the windshield doesn't return to where I left it. Sometimes the audio picks up on the source I left it on and sometimes it defaults to fm radio. Sometimes I think the bike may be capable of updating itself. As long as mine will clear itself and run I'm not going to stress over it. I sometimes see glitches on other computer driven instruments and first remedy seems to be a reboot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rob, mine has done it several times. Its usually associated with a rough start of the bike. I've read of many others experiencing this(with no ill effects) I let my DCT warm, let the fan kick on, and restart using the thumb switch, on the right bar. After several attempts, the dash RETURNS TO NORMAL.
Its disconcerting....but I've learned to live with it. I'm not sure if I partially hit the switch, causing this or not(???)
Long story short, you're not alone. For me. I don't worry about it.
Hope this helps...Ride often!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are in CLUTCH INITIALIZATION MODE

Sometimes the bike will go to this mode of you are playing crappy music :ROFLMAO:

Just saying
So - in 5:08 the bike will function normally?

When I'm playing Kid Rock, my bike, in eco mode, outperforms sport mode, causes Yellow Wolf to pull over out of my way at Deals Gap, and gets 87 MPG.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,875 Posts
You are in CLUTCH INITIALIZATION MODE

Sometimes the bike will go to this mode of you are playing crappy music :ROFLMAO:

Just saying
Playing Coldplay causes an instant high-side.

And cracks open the bottom of the engine case.

• Haha
Reactions: fla_rider

·
Registered
235 Posts
That sometimes happens to me after I do an oil change - after a few starts and restarts it goes away and operates normally. Next time it happens I'm going to try a DCT init and see if that clears it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Check this: It is your USB source complaining about a song titled, "Unfinished Sympathy" by the "artists" identified as Massive Attack. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfinished_Sympathy)

Unplug the USB source and the problem will disappear.

·
Premium Member
Honda DCT Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
852 Posts
But seriously, two things I know will cause that. Low Battery and last time you shut down the bike you weren't in Neutral. I'm willing to bet on the battery since the bike isn't warmed up, grips are on and seat is on full! Thats why the second time you started it everything was hunkie dory!

·
Vendor
22,510 Posts
But seriously, two things I know will cause that. Low Battery and last time you shut down the bike you weren't in Neutral. I'm willing to bet on the battery since the bike isn't warmed up, grips are on and seat is on full! Thats why the second time you started it everything was hunkie dory!
The DCT model bike will automatically shift to N before shutting the engine off, so it would be pretty difficult to shut it off in gear. I suppose if the transmission somehow hung up and didn't complete the neutral shift it might happen, so it isn't impossible, but not very likely. I've shut mine off many times in gear, and and soon as you do, the first thing you'll hear is the bike click in neutral, and then the engine shuts down. It's probably not a good habit to get into, but Honda has already planned for this in the way they programed the transmission. This is because you have no way to get the DCT model bike into neutral once the engine is shut off, and it won't restart if it is in already in gear.

The same thing happens if you lower the sidestand in gear, it will autoshift to N before shutting off.

·
Love The DCT
12,727 Posts
The DCT model bike will automatically shift to N before shutting the engine off, so it would be pretty difficult to shut it off in gear. I suppose if the transmission somehow hung up and didn't complete the neutral shift it might happen, so it isn't impossible, but not very likely. I've shut mine off many times in gear, and and soon as you do, the first thing you'll hear is the bike click in neutral, and then the engine shuts down. It's probably not a good habit to get into, but Honda has already planned for this in the way they programed the transmission. This is because you have no way to get the DCT model bike into neutral once the engine is shut off, and it won't restart if it is in already in gear.

The same thing happens if you lower the sidestand in gear, it will autoshift to N before shutting off.
One time when I put the sidestand down with the bike running and in first gear, the engine shut off but the bike remained in first gear. I turned the ignition switch off and on again and the bike still did not go into neutral. I was able to start the bike in gear by raising the side stand and applying the front brake while starting the bike.

Excerpt from page 115:

If neutral is not selected when you turn the ignition switch to ON: Turn the ignition OFF and ON again. You may hear (click) noises when the transmission shifts to Neutral (N). This is normal. If the Neutral (N) is still not selected after turning the ignition switch on, start the engine while applying the brake with side stand raised.

If Neutral (N) is still not selected, you are directed to page 185.

Excerpt from page 185:

If you cannot start the engine:

Turn the ignition switch to OFF and move the vehicle back and forth slightly (to disengage the gears). Turn the ignition switch to ON again and start the engine.

If you still cannot start the engine:
Start the engine while applying the brake lever or pressing the brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
5,124 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, Murf. I'm going to print that and keep it on the bike. I've read all that multiple times but just don't retain anything anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts