GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am looking for a reasonably priced device (ie about 50USD or less) for a plug and play solution.

Could anyone send me a link from ebay or amazon that I could buy from.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
This what I installed, it works fine, what is lacking is a choice of the color for the display.
I mounted mine behind the left speaker grill.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
M61A1MECH: What & where & how does it connect to the wing?
There is a 3 pin diagnostic connector under the seat that it plugs into, when I installed mine, I made note of what wire was where in the connector, removed the pins to make routing the wire easier. I have it attached to the inside of the speaker cover with Velcro tape, makes it just a bit of a pain whenever I have to remove that shelter part, so next time I am in there I am going to add a 3 pin connector to make removal easier.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have an older healtech one on mine and it was a tad expensive. If I were to do it now, I would go with the Amazon one. I mounted mine behind the right speaker grill. I mounted a digital voltmeter behind the left speaker grill. I was able to do it by taking off speaker grill, removing the right pocket and bolts along right side of shelter along with the nut on rear of the shelter. This gave me enough flex to route the wire from speaker grill to the connector under the seat. The gear indicator just shows a red "-" because it isnt in gear while in the garage.

·
Registered
682 Posts
There are only five gears to keep track of...
After a few days/hours of adapting to the Wing and its sounds/feel at different speeds you just "know" what gear it's in. Actually just four gears to "track" as the display already tells you when in fifth "OD". And of course, never in first other than starting/stopping. Now I'm down to only three.

·
Canuck
2,803 Posts
Healtech (post 3 & 4) is what I've used for years. First on my 2004 Wing, then on my Kawasaki, and now on my 2012 Wing. I've been very pleased with Healtech. Don't think it will satisfy your $50 requirement though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a 3 pin diagnostic connector under the seat that it plugs into, when I installed mine, I made note of what wire was where in the connector, removed the pins to make routing the wire easier. I have it attached to the inside of the speaker cover with Velcro tape, makes it just a bit of a pain whenever I have to remove that shelter part, so next time I am in there I am going to add a 3 pin connector to make removal easier.
Hi there - I am looking for a 3 pin connector on my 2015 GL1800 under the seat and cannot find it - how would I find out the colours of the wires to help me locate it ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
As I recall mine was under the (fuse panel) EDIT that should have been relay panel, I am pretty sure I needed to remove the screws and lift it to find the connector, the connector on my 2013 is red.
According to my 2013 service manual the colors of the wires going to the DLC connector are Black with yellow tracer, Orange with white tracer, brown and green. The connector is in one of those clear flexible hoods that Honda uses. You have to dig for this connector, it is not just laying out in the open.

I did say in some earlier posts it was a 3 pin connector, my memory may be faulty, maybe it was a 4 pin, if I have a chance in the near future I will dig it back out and verify, if no one can verify before I do.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. Headed to the shop soon and will check again.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to everyone who responded. It was a red connector with the wire colors described - really helped me locate it.

I have a maybe dumb question about attaching the display to the inside of the speaker grill. How do I do this as it's the display side that needs to face outwards and be against the inside of the grill itself.

Thanks in advance again.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
You put your adhesive backed hook and loop (Velcro) on the side of the display.
You put the other piece of the hook and loop on the side of the speaker grille frame (the meter panel).
That way, the face of the display is not blocked by the velcro.
When you need to remove the meter panel, pull the display off the meter panel and let it hang free until you re-install the meter panel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts