GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every so often I'll see posts on this forum and others where ppl are wanting something that will tell them what gear they are in. The GW already has a Neutral and OD light. Why is anything else needed ?:shrug:

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Dunno.......I would guess it's for the same reason some folks feel the need to have a digital dashboard readout of their tire pressures.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Farkel

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Actually I had a Gearshift indicator that came from the factory on a 1985 Nighthawk.
Was kinda nice to look down and check what gear you were in at a redlight, before trying to pull off in 4th gear.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Dunno.......I would guess it's for the same reason some folks feel the need to have a digital dashboard readout of their tire pressures.
Most people can feel what gear they're in without the electronic helper. A tire pressure monitor is something entirely different, IMO, especially if you have a puncture while on the road, or even a slow leak. The TPM can give you an immediate "heads up" that you wouldn't normally get until the tire was dangerously flat.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Actually I had a Gearshift indicator that came from the factory on a 1985 Nighthawk.
Was kinda nice to look down and check what gear you were in at a redlight, before trying to pull off in 4th gear.
Amazed at how many people I see who sit there in neutral................until the light turns green!!

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Every so often I'll see posts on this forum and others where ppl are wanting something that will tell them what gear they are in. The GW already has a Neutral and OD light. Why is anything else needed ?:shrug:

I asked the same question when I first got here when I saw all the discussion about it.

I still don't get it. Even if you take off in fourth on the wing it pulls right through it. Heck, you're in 5th at 25 (or can be) and ride the damm thing like an automatic so.

You got me. If I want to know what gear I'm in I look at the revs, and if I forget to downshift coming to a light maybe sitting there looking like an idiot will teach me to pay better attention the next time.

You got me mang. Some folks like to tinker and play is all I can come up with. It's not like there's a bunch else we can do to the 'fridge.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I'd like to have a second gear indicator, playing in the twisties you dont want to downshift to first on a second gear corner, locks up the back tire. Would be nice sometimes in town also.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
You got me. If I want to know what gear I'm in I look at the revs, and if I forget to downshift coming to a light maybe sitting there looking like an idiot will teach me to pay better attention the next time.
That's the way I look at it too. And if you're stopped somewhere, not in 1st gear with an eye in your rear view mirror and with a well planned escape route in front of you... then you're asking for trouble.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

You're kidding right.:shrug:

Have you not seen how old some of these guys are around here.:22yikes:
Hell half of them need a GPS to find there way home!.Before the ad-vent of the GPS the police were called to send out a search party for the wayward old farts.Now :wrong:

·
15 year Member
6,868 Posts
You're kidding right.:shrug:

Have you not seen how old some of these guys are around here.:22yikes:
Hell half of them need a GPS to find there way home!.Before the ad-vent of the GPS the police were called to send out a search party for the wayward old farts.Now :wrong:
LOL

Good One Rocky!!

Matt(BCNV) :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
MY '86 Venture royale has digital gear readout and it is a nice feature. I KNOW what gear I am in at all times, and as someone else mentioned, it reminds me when I don't downshift at stops. Yes, I can pretty much know which gear I am in on my Wing, but I KNOW on the Venture. Already mentioned is the occasional downshift to first when you don't expect it, and if you miss the little blink of the neutral light. IT is a pretty inexpensive and reliable thing that takes up little space and adds almost no weight. With all the other stuff on a big touring bike, especially the Wing, adding a gear indicator is a no brainer. The juvenile comments made by some just amaze me when stuff like this is mentioned. Because you have a gear indicator doesn't mean you changed sides in the Gender wars or don't know how to ride a bike.:popcorn:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Farkel! What does that even mean? Even the wife says, "that's just gay".
What Goldwing riders like to call all the stuff the attach to their bikes.

I've never heard the word in all my years of riding until this forum.
Yet another explanation of "Farkle"....

http://www.elversonpuzzle.com/farkle.html

Farkle (or farkel) is a fun dice game that is easy to learn and very addictive!

It can be played with any six dice, but what makes this Farkle dice game so special are the size of the dice. These EXTRA LARGE WOODEN DICE are easy to roll and see when playing with a group of friends. (Especially near sighted old Goldwingers!)

Farkle Deluxe is great for playing ANY dice game, including
bunco!

Ages 8 to adult.

:shrug:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
And those that stick their nose up at a gear indicator will probably claim that they've never done anything like that, because they are far too competent a rider.

I agree with you..., a gear indicator would be a worthwhile item. A neutral indicator and a 5th gear indicator only, is way too sparse. :thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
It seems like an unnecessary bit of complexity and cost for those of us who've never had a problem knowing what gear we're in. What next, a light to let you know if you're moving or not?

1 - 20 of 122 Posts