GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Best..?

Well, "best" is pretty subjective...

FWIW, I installed the Acumen Gear Indicator (twin digital gauge kit; indicator/voltmeter & coolant* temp) on my '01 non-ABS. The kit comes with a plug&play wiring harness, the gauges, a twin gauge housing, and basic instructions. You will definitely need a shop manual, as you will be removing a lot of plastic and getting into the existing wiring harness for the necessary plug&play connections. It's an afternoon job on a non-abs bike, but an all day session on an abs bike.

*coolant temp isn't quite accurate, IMHO. It can be set up for ambient air temp or "coolant" temp. The bike already is capable of displaying both, but the factory coolant temp gauge leaves something to be desired. Deployed in the "coolant" temp mode, the sensor is bolted to the (right rear) head surface adjacent to a coolant passage. Thus, the sensor is actually sampling the surface head temp (displayed C or F) as influenced by the nearby coolant flow. I find this more informative as it is very accurate and sensitive, far more than the factory coolant temp (analog) gauge.

For example, (and if memory serves) the routine temp range displayed (normal operating conditions)... 156-172* F. The fans activate at 180* F and shut off at 179* F.

I had the ECM recall/update performed and now... (under normal operating conditions)... 150-167* F. The fans still activate at 180* F and shut off at 179* F. (I posted similar info on another site, but I don't recall the exact degree values, but these are as close as I remember... these senior moments can be.. uh, inconvenient.)

I had never had an overheating problem, but I am reluctant to turn down a factory upgrade - especially one articulated in a recall campaign. I can't say for certain that's there's any improvement in performance, although the old "seat-o'-pants" street dyno thinks the bike is stronger in the mid-range. Mileage seems to still be in the lower 40's... time will tell.

The digital readouts are in red/orange LEDs, but for the gear indicator which can be had in blue LEDs. The red/orange displays tend to wash out in direct sunlight, but the blue one doesn't. Shading the gauges solves the problem.

The kit was acquired from www.riderstation.com on a special sale promotion... $300 for the complete kit. It's a bit dear, but I'm quite pleased with the product and the service. :wink:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Acumen gauges

Pretty much ditto to what ironmike wrote. The web site will link to the installation procedure for a preview of what the installation involves. The only difference I would note is that I have no visibility problems. I removed the vanes forom the dash vents and installed the gauges just inside the vent openings, voltage/shift in the left and the temp in the right.
Spendy, but good stuff and service.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts