GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was about to spring for the bucks when it suddenly occured to me. These things use the speedo and tacho pulse circuits to determine the current ratio in use and thus indicate 1..5.

OK, so far, so good. What happens when I cruise to a halt in say 2nd gear with the clutch in at a stop light, then kick it into neutral. On the lights changing I click 1st, what does the indicator show??

If I have to wait until I am moving for it to decide it is 1st gear then that's not much use. I'd like to know what IS selected and not what was LAST selected. Seems like the cash stays at home.

Thanks

FTW

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
The ratio thing is for bikes without a gear position switch... which the Wing does have. I understand that some people have tapped into the gear position switch to give them a gear indicator.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have to admit to complete ignorance as to how it works. Also don't know what brand was installed since it was installed when ours was triked. I do know this - I can shift gears while the bike is standing still - motor not running - and it will indicate gear changes. Is it accurate??? Seems to be. Neutral light comes on at approriate time. 1st gear is one click down and corresponding gears are indicated on upward clicks. Our gear indicator is by itself in the right hand "funnel", NOT a combo unit.

I will be contacting the installer to find out what brand was installed since I should have at the time - confess in all the excitement it just slipped my mind. From now on I will insist on all paperwork when someone installs something on our bike.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob (Bear said:
The ratio thing is for bikes without a gear position switch... which the Wing does have. I understand that some people have tapped into the gear position switch to give them a gear indicator.
Ah Ha! Thanks Bob. Any idea which one or ones? All of them I have looked at online need plugging into the tach/speedo circuits.

Someone recently posed a list of links for the indicators and that's the ones I have checked. I'll see if I can find the old posting.

Thanks for the reply though.

FTW

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i am still amazed that my 1985 sabre v65 had a gear indicator, here this latest and greatest honda doesnt.

loren

·
Registered
891 Posts
Gear indicator

Hey Loren,my 84 V65 Magna had one too.I think the general public thought that was sissy to have,cause if you don't know what gear you are in,you should not be riding.(harley talk)Then I said it has six gears.Wow was the reply. That bike had so much power it didn't matter what gear you were in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts