GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased the Air Rider gear/volt indicator and it is plug and play. The only set back is getting to the plug under the Air filter in ABS models, which was my case. You have to remove shelter, cruise control module, ECM module, air filter and air filter plastic base to get to the plug. This was time consuming and space limited. If its a non ABS model the plug is behind the black plastic cover over the timing belt cover, which makes it an easier task. But for one thing after all that work I went thru, it performs extremly well. The model I bought was:

http://www.airrider.com/store/product.php?id=487
Hope this helps in making your final decision.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
You can check the speedometer and tachometer and tell what gear you're in. It does take a bit of mental arithmetic, though. When your tach is around 2000 RPM, check your speedo and divide by 10. That's what gear you're in. For example, the tach is around 2000 RPM and the speedo is around 30. Divide by 10 and you're in 3rd gear. A bit more arithmetic is required if you're not around 2000 RPM. Not quite as easy as looking at a gauge, but there's no cost or installation time for this method. lol

·
Registered
276 Posts
leaddog11 said:
Does anyone know where to purchase the little gear indicators and if they are plug and play?
We at Owl Lighting and Specialty products do have them available and they are completely plug and play. They sell for $110. There is a 7 segment display mounted in a replacement speaker grill that is also part of the complete kit. These kits are brand new and not yet on the web page, but here are a couple of pictures showing the gear position in the speaker grille.

The only drawback to this product is that if your bike has ABS the installation is non-trivial, it can take upwards of 4 hours because you have to remove the top shelter, the gas tank and the air box to gain access to the cables.

The normal install is around 1 hour for most people.

We also have a couple of other new products that should be on the web page soon (I hope)...

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
OrangeWingRider said:
There is a 7 segment display mounted in a replacement speaker grill that is also part of the complete kit.
How about for the 06 and 07 wings?
... I don't think the speaker grills on those are removable
... they come off with the shelter.

edit:
never mind... it looks your second picture is the new style ...
duh ...
:oops:

Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts