GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you have to be careful about moisture with brake fluid but have never heard anything pertaining to gear oil. I have a bottle of Valvoline Durablend 80w-90 gear oil that I used on my GL1200 about 4 yrs ago. Has been sealed tight. Curious, would it still be okay to used it my 1800?

R

·
0 Posts
Stromboli,

High viscosity gear oils don't normally attract moisture as quickly as fuels if properly sealed. They do however degrade as any hydrocarbon will over time. If you check recommended oil changes on engines the almost always include a time period such as "one year" along with the mileage.

I used to change the gear oil (Yamalube) in my FJR rear end every other oil and filter change (3-4,000 miles). However if the bike had sat for a time I would change it anyway. Some might think that I was wasteful but oils are the lifeline of any mechanical system. Oil is not cheap these days but compared to a rebuild on any engine or drivetrain it's not expensive at all.

·
Registered
19,324 Posts
I would get fresh oil

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I would use it. It is new, still in the bottle and hasn't been contaminated. I am not aware of oil breaking down while sitting uncontaminated in a sealed bottle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts