GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am finally changing out my Gear position switch on my 01 to fix a sloppy neutral ,have already checked and lubed the shifter linkage and that no fix, is there any other parts needed or things to look for when you take the linkage cover off other than the switch and gasket?

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Am finally changing out my Gear position switch on my 01 to fix a sloppy neutral ,have already checked and lubed the shifter linkage and that no fix, is there any other parts needed or things to look for when you take the linkage cover off other than the switch and gasket?
There is no shift linkage to mess with once the cover is off. Before the cover is removed, make sure the transmission is in N. You will also need Honda Bond 4, oil, filter, and a crush washer. If it is not ABS, there is a good chance you can replace the switch without removing the air box.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no shift linkage to mess with once the cover is off. Before the cover is removed, make sure the transmission is in N. You will also need Honda Bond 4, oil, filter, and a crush washer. If it is not ABS, there is a good chance you can replace the switch without removing the air box.
Thanks, I was going to take the top shelter off anyway , I just changed the oil and filter before I decided to do this ..I'll just drain it and pour it back in

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Thanks, I was going to take the top shelter off anyway , I just changed the oil and filter before I decided to do this ..I'll just drain it and pour it back in
That works too :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
01 non abs Gear Selector switch changed

Finally got around to changing the gear selector switch,bike in neutral, drain engine oil, had to remove the gas tank to be able to remove the air box, you can get away with pulling the air box up and out of the way while leaving one hose connected at the bottom as it would be a challenge to get this one off or back on, the gear selector electrical connector is located under the air box, removing the old gasket took some scraping time, stuck good in places
cleaned the crankcase cover in gasoline the drain holes in mine were completely plugged with dirt
new switch put in case with new gasket and Permotex gasket sealant in proper places

remove EVAP canister ,I also had to remove the coolant line and bracket in front of the case to make sure I had a straight shot at lining the dowel pins up while at same time making sure the switch pin is aligned with slot in shift drum as well as making sure the rubber plug for the electrical wires staid in place ...fun.. and last I threaded wires up and plugged connector in ....my 01 no longer has a sloppy neutral
4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg photo.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts