GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gear is stuck at Reverse. After itswitching off the reverse button, the reverse indicator keeps blinking and is not disengaged from reverse gear. Bike can't move as of now. Any idea how to rectify the issue?

Goldwing 2008 model

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Maybe the moderators will move your question to the Tech Board where it will more likely get noticed and responded to.

·
Registered
886 Posts
That happened to me once. Took a ground wire and touched negative side of battery and it popped out of engaged. Have a temporary jumper ground ran to frame but need to pull fuel tank and clean ground connection under it.

·
Vendor
19,214 Posts
Start by verifying that you have a healthy battery.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,817 Posts
Pull off the front upper cowl(black panel behind the forks) and take a large wrench and turn the actuator clockwise back to the neutral position. Once you have it turned to the neutral position, make sure the reverse shift switch is out/neutral position and the bike will start. Don’t put it back into reverse unless you are home or at a shop to fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That happened to me once. Took a ground wire and touched negative side of battery and it popped out of engaged. Have a temporary jumper ground ran to frame but need to pull fuel tank and clean ground connection under it.
TQ. I come back to u
Pull off the front upper cowl(black panel behind the forks) and take a large wrench and turn the actuator counter clockwise back to the neutral position. Once you have it turned to the neutral position, make sure the reverse shift switch is out/neutral position and the bike will start. Don’t put it back into reverse unless you are home or at a shop to fix it.
TQ I come back to u

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,817 Posts
TQ. I come back to u
TQ I come back to u
When I crank the engine using the wrench the bike moving fwd.....the R still blinking.cant go to neutral o free .
OK, don’t turn the engine with the wrench, you have to turn the reverse actuator pulley clockwise to move the transmission out of reverse. The black panel above the engine in the front has to be removed and the pulley with the cables is behind it. Once you get that black cover off, then you can turn the pulley clockwise to disengage reverse. When it’s out of reverse your neutral light will come on and it will start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, don’t turn the engine with the wrench, you have to turn the reverse actuator pulley clockwise to move the transmission out of reverse. The black panel above the engine in the front has to be removed and the pulley with the cables is behind it. Once you get that black cover off, then you can turn the pulley clockwise to disengage reverse. When it’s out of reverse your neutral light will come on and it will start.
Oohh ok TQ
Hi ...I try to turn the actuator pulley clockwise with wrench size 22 very hard can't even move n at the same time I play with the rear wheel fwd/ aft mayb can help ......can't move.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,817 Posts
Oohh ok TQ
Hi ...I try to turn the actuator pulley clockwise with wrench size 22 very hard can't even move n at the same time I play with the rear wheel fwd/ aft mayb can help ......can't move.
Ok, it must be locked up, it’s a worm drive and is hard to turn anyway. You need to test the actuator unit following the procedure in the Honda Service manual. Do you have a copy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, it must be locked up, it’s a worm drive and is hard to turn anyway. You need to test the actuator unit following the procedure in the Honda Service manual. Do you have a copy?
Oh ok TQ. I don't have .....I check n download from goggles ..TQ

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,817 Posts
Oh ok TQ. I don't have .....I check n download from goggles ..TQ
If you don’t locate one, here’s the steps:
MOTOR INSPECTION
1. Actuator Operation Inspection 1
Remove the relay box cover.
Remove the brown connector block from the
relay box.
Turn the ignition switch to OFF and remove the
RVS. SHIFT relays 2 and 3 (See diagram below)
Connect a fully charged 12-V battery to the relay
connector terminals.
Does the reverse shift actuator operate? If no, reverse the battery wires and try it again. If it still won’t move, then the motor is bad and you will have to replace the actuator assembly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts