GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 with 3000 miles has had a slight transmission problem when upshifting thru the gears. I have adjusted the 5 position wheel on the clutch lever many times to try different positions.....position 5 seems best but the lever is all the way against the handlebar grip to disengage the clutch.

This gives the best selection, but is still not as smooth as it should be or can be.....

Anyone had any of this kind of problem? Do I need to take it to a dealer and have him make an adjustment somewhere "down below?"

It is not grinding like tearing up the gears, just metal against metal unless doing a real fast and accelerated shift...which is not always possible due to traffic or road conditions...

Any ideas would be real helpful....thanks in advance...

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Not being a smart a$$, but have you tried some Amsoil. Don't forget the transmission shares the same oil with the engine. AMSOIL makes a lot of difference. At least try it if you haven't.
The other suggestion of bleeding the clutch to make sure it is completely disengaging also has some merit.
Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Chard Member
13,052 Posts
Re: Gears slightly grinding when upshifting? Why? What is c

Basspro said:
This gives the best selection, but is still not as smooth as it should be or can be.....
Have you ridden other GL1800's that shifted smoother?

Get it shifted. Don't baby it!

Good Luck.......

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Its under warranty let the dealer fix it unless this is a result of something you have done.

Good Luck

·
Registered
128 Posts
In 2001 I found I was missing shifts, grinding shifts, and having the bike pop back to the previous gear 5 seconds after a shift. All this after driving bikes since 1968 (primarily Honda and Yamaha)

For unknown reasons the Wing expects an aggressive quick shift, and since I have done that I have had four years of pretty good shifting.

However, I can completely disengage the clutch (ie first gear engaged, engine running and the Wing stopped) with the clutch lever pulled in about half way to the handlebar. If you have to pull yours all the way in, you might benefit from a clutch bleeding.

I

·
0 Posts
The 1800 requires aggressive positive shifts. If that doesn't work, and you think there is a tranny problem (very rare), see dealer. You are under warranty.

If it isn't a tranny problem, consider a heal/toe shifter such as Rattlebars. They greatly assist positive upshifts.

Ride safe. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks guys never thought about bleeding the clutch, it is like brand new bike...changed oil to Amsoil last week at 3,000 miles...it always smoothed up the shifting of my transmission like butter...I thought it would help this bike, but maybe it is too brand new inside...felt no improvement in the shiftness with Amsoil...and was disappointed about that.

Have a question..never bled the clutch line..can anyone give me some instructions to do so...have all the right tools...so just show me the path...and I will try that tomorrow!

Thanks for the quick input.....will tell you how it came out when someone here tells me how to do it....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts