GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a couple other people here with similar issues. I have an 07- GL1800. I have occasionally seen the issue on my bike where the OD light does not come on when you're in OD. I re-shift to OD and it comes on. Lately I've been getting an FI light- code 41- Gearshift Position Sensor. I've been watching how this comes on for awhile and it seems like it only comes on when I'm riding at highway speeds. It doesn't come on, no matter what gear, when driving 50 or under. 55 and up, it comes on generally all the time now. I first noticed this about 10,000 miles, on a trip to NC from NY. I took it in. The mechanic, a very good wing mechanic, told me to keep riding it, because I was on a long trip, it wasn't doing any harm, and the book told him he'd have to "touch" about 10 different sensors, then order the part, wait 10 days, etc. to fix it. I've been driving it ever since. When the code "sets", at highway speed, you can sense a little hesitation as the ECM finds out something is wrong, but it doesn't seem to affect performance or mileage. I have the manual for this bike, so I plan to remove and inspect the Gearshift Position sensor, but it's a big job. Any input from anyone?? Anyone had this happen?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I have had to do the reshift thing too on my 07. But I have not had any FI indicators. 27,000 miles and it seemed to start early on in the bikes life.

·
Vendor
22,091 Posts
The sensor may actually be working fine, it may be that your transmission is not fully engaging into 5th gear properly. There have been an increasing number of reports of newer model bikes coming out of 5th gear on their own. Some owners also report feeling what seems like a "crunch" or double click when going into 5th gear on the newer bikes, and I have felt it on mine occasionally too. It seems like the dogs on fifth gear don't always want to engage smoothly/fully.

I don't want to scare you and it could just be a sensor, but it could also be an indication of transmission issues. I would make sure I get it documented at a dealership so they have it on record.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have an '06, and many times I've had the OD indicator not come on, but the bike was actually in 5th and never slipped back to 4th (knock on wood). I just clutch, hit the shifter again and the indicator comes on. I attribute it to the sensor not always making. A friend has an '08 and it's done the same thing also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts