GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 miles from the office today, the bike felt "squishy", and hard to turn. I immediately knew what it was. DARN . . . a flat tire! Sure enough, after pulling over and stopping, I yanked a drywall screw about 2 inches long from the center of the tread of my rear tire (Bridgstone Excedra 704, in case you're curious).

Thank goodness:

1. I've had experience with flats before and knew what to do,
2. The hole was not too big,
3. The screw was in the middle of the tread,
4. It went in completely straight, and
5. I have a sticky rope plug kit and a portable air compressor!

In less than a half hour, I was back on the road again and made it to work OK. (I will go out later when the tire has cooled some to check and make sure it is not leaking air).

The reason I am posting this is to ask: how common are these flat tires on the Goldwing?

I find it puzzling that I rode bikes for many years (a Honda CB350, then a CB450 then CB750) without experiencing any flat tires. Ever since I started riding Goldwings (one GL1500 and two GL1800s) -- I have now had 4 flats (all rear tires) in the last 12 years. Is it just coincidence, or is there something about these large touring bike tires that attracts nails, screws and bolts? I realize I'm probably not going to get a definitive answer here, but I'd be curious to know what other's experiences have been, especially if you have owned a number of different bike models.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
This 07 Wing is my 5th bike. The first 4 were large cc cruisers and I did not have a flat with the first 4 in 22 years. Then last Sept. I had a flat in the Montana boonies.

By the same token, I have only had one flat in a cage in 55 years. Probably because I always replaced the tires while there was 1/8" of tread left.

I now have a Kumho run flat and consider myself prepared for the next one.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
About 2 miles from the office today, the bike felt "squishy", and hard to turn. I immediately knew what it was. DARN . . . a flat tire! Sure enough, after pulling over and stopping, I yanked a drywall screw about 2 inches long from the center of the tread of my rear tire (Bridgstone Excedra 704, in case you're curious).

Thank goodness:

1. I've had experience with flats before and knew what to do,
2. The hole was not too big,
3. The screw was in the middle of the tread,
4. It went in completely straight, and
5. I have a sticky rope plug kit and a portable air compressor!

In less than a half hour, I was back on the road again and made it to work OK. (I will go out later when the tire has cooled some to check and make sure it is not leaking air).

The reason I am posting this is to ask: how common are these flat tires on the Goldwing?

I find it puzzling that I rode bikes for many years (a Honda CB350, then a CB450 then CB750) without experiencing any flat tires. Ever since I started riding Goldwings (one GL1500 and two GL1800s) -- I have now had 4 flats (all rear tires) in the last 12 years. Is it just coincidence, or is there something about these large touring bike tires that attracts nails, screws and bolts? I realize I'm probably not going to get a definitive answer here, but I'd be curious to know what other's experiences have been, especially if you have owned a number of different bike models.
Flat tires are very common when you travel over a drywall screw or a similar object. :shrug:

later..Randy

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I've had several rear and front flats due to nails, screws ect. Had one today on the rear of my work truck, sheet metal screw. I plugged it with a rope plug and aired it up with my nitrogen tank I use in refrigeration work. As long as tires are made from soft rubber that punctures easily by a sharp object, then flats will occur.
This is the number 1 reason I have a RunFlat CT on the rear of my GW.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
For all the vehicles that I have...or have had....cars, trucks, motorcycles...I never had a flat tire on the road

Flat tire in the driveway when vandals slashed them...but I think that doesn't count

·
Registered
100 Posts
Flat Tire

I have had My share of flats, mostly on the rear. A friend of mine advised to install a mud flap in front of the rear tire, because the front tire flips up the nail's, or screw's, and the rear pickes them up. I now try to install a flap of heavy 1/4" rubber in front of the rear tire. And I think it helps---- I drilled three 3/16" holes in the cross brace of the center stand, and hang a 7" wide piece of rubber about 8" long, It will be too long for the first trip, but will adjust it self.....

·
Registered
651 Posts
Haven't had one in the past few years...
Where do you ride in the road?? Left, Right or Center of the lane??? If you ride Center, that's the ticket to flats... of course them pesky screws and nails can be everywhere.....

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
JohnACman This is the number 1 reason I have a RunFlat CT on the rear of my GW. [/QUOTE said:
:agree: I run one also!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I've had 2 flats on the wing.
Thought about putting a magnet on the belly pan for giggles,and to see what all stuck to it.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
That should be it for you for the life of the bike. I had two flats on my Wide Glide. First one was a spike, about 3" long. Second was a spike, about 3" long. They never took it out of the tire, they just put a new tube in it...:shrug:

I realize I'm probably not going to get a definitive answer here, but I'd be curious to know what other's experiences have been, especially if you have owned a number of different bike models.
Check your side cases for Magnets...:p

R

·
0 Posts
Off Road or Touring

It's begs the question...What's worse, a nail on the road...or a screw in the ditch ?!

:confused:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Buzz,

Some Options that may or may not be the cause of this misfortune:
  1. Ex-wife holds a grudge
  2. Wife doesnt like you RIDING so much
  3. Your neighbor doesnt like you at all
  4. You live next door to a motorcycle tire dealer
  5. Youve ran over the wrong squirrel that had ties to the squirrel mafia
  6. You need your vision checked
  7. You dont have your gremlin bell hanging properly
  8. You ride your bike to or through a building site often
  9. This stuff sometimes just happens
Im betting for number 8! Ive had a couple flats on the rear tire in the last couple of years, both were on a run flat care tire and I was able to ride it on home without a problem, a huge benefit.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I've had 2 flats on the wing.
Thought about putting a magnet on the belly pan for giggles,and to see what all stuck to it.
Nice idea to think about, but alas, 'tis won't work. Speed that we travel at and the distance involved to the ground, ain't going to happen. (I know you weren't being serious)

But on a serious note regarding something like this, I was looking at the magnets they sell to help raise the bike's magnetic signature for the buried cable traffic light sensors. Thought hmmm, I've got one of those rare-earth magnets that will put Magneto to shame, let me take a look at mounting that sucker.

Well, there's no good place to mount them puppies that doesn't get toasty hot under there. And the rare-earth magnets start losing their strength when temps get above about 170 °F. So I'll just start doing what Illinois (I think it was Illinois) recently said was legal. Get to the light, doesn't change in a reasonable (yeah, define reasonable) time you get to go if the way is clear.

Still doesn't help with the nail issue. I did put a fender extension on the bike, helps to keep crap from being tossed into the front engine cowling and towards the back tire.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've only had one flat in a 100,000 miles on my Wings... I can live with that! It's a pain in the a#$ when it happens, but the tires are soft so I kind of expect it every once in a while.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
One person who had lots of flats, made a rear alum. fender, that mounted behind the kick stand. He sold them for almost a year, then stopped because of idiots wanting garrantees. Never had a flat since putting on. Great person is now out of business, retired due to economy, I guess. It only takes a few morans to effect us all.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
One person who had lots of flats, made a rear alum. fender, that mounted behind the kick stand. He sold them for almost a year, then stopped because of idiots wanting garrantees. Never had a flat since putting on. Great person is now out of business, retired due to economy, I guess. It only takes a few morans to effect us all.
The fender deflected nails and stuff? Interesting idea.

·
Registered
307 Posts
IMHO. Or my 2 cents worth, it is caused by lane position. If you ride the center of the lane you are going to find debris, even if you cant see it. I am an old fart that been riding way longer than I want to admit. In my younger years I was told to stay out of the oil slick. There was more oil on the roads back then and besides being slippery the cars pushed all the debris out of thier wheel tracks. So I always ride left track or right. Knock on wood no flats yet. Because of the chatter on this board I do carry a plug kit and compressor.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have ruined my share of tires. Just replaced a Stone with 2500 miles on it. There is so much junk on the highways nowdays it is hard to see the little things that do the most damage.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I too normally ride in the left or right track... the one time I got a flat on my 1500 was as I was entering the interstate from a rest stop... we found the hole in the tire but never really knew what I ran over to cause the puncture.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts