GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last MCN has a letter about a gel battery on a BMW. The answer was that gel batteries require a higher maintenance voltage, and that there is a special model of battery tender for these batteries, which you must use.

I've used my battery tender all winter for three years on the Wing. I don't even disconnect my battery from the bike. I've never had any problem.

Does anybody else have further information on this?

TIA

·
Registered
846 Posts
For the stock battery in the GL1800, you are supposed to use the Battery Tender Plus to fully charge the battery. The standard Battery Tender will not fully charge the GL1800 battery. This I got from Deltran who makes the Battery Tender line of battery maintainers.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Just do not use a Battery Tender Jr abd you should be OK.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The battery in a Gold Wing isn't a gel cell, it's an AGM, completely different thing, and the Battery Tender Plus is made for AGM batteries, that's what the PLUS means.

I noticed the letter in MCN, I think the battery in the BMW is an AGM also, I don't know of any gel batteries for motorcycles, I certainly haven't seen one yet.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the battery type for the Wing is an absorbed glass mat, then all my questions are answered. I have seen it posted many times that the wing uses a gel type battery.

A little misinformation goes a long way. :lol:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Between the two Battery Tenders the big difference is step 2 absorption charging..............The Plus model holds the higher charging voltage for a much longer time until the charging current drops to less than .1 amp.

Original Battery Tender:
Original Battery Tender® 12V1.25A:

Stage 1) Bulk Charge: Red Light On, Green Light Off, Constant Current = 1.25 Amps,
Transition to Stage 2, Absorption Charge when battery voltage reaches 14.3 VDC.
Stage 2) Absorption Charge: Red Light On, Absorption Voltage = 14.3 VDC Transition
to Float Charge when battery charging current drops below 0.5 amp.
Stage 3) There is no Equalization Charge, Go directly to stage 4.
Stage 4) Float Charge: Red Light Off, Green Light On. Float Voltage = 13.2 VDC. If
an external load is applied to the battery while the charger is in stage 4, Float Charge, and
if the battery voltage drops below a range between 12.0 to 12.5 VDC, then the charge
cycle restarts.

Battery Tender Plus:
Battery Tender® Plus 12V1.25A:

Stage 1) Bulk Charge: Red Light On, Green Light Off, Constant Current = 1.25 Amps,
Transition to Stage 2, Absorption Charge when battery voltage reaches 14.4 VDC.
Stage 2) Absorption Charge: Red Light On, Absorption Voltage = 14.4 VDC Transition
to Float Charge when battery charging current drops below 0.1 amp or until 6 to 8 hours
have elapses.
Stage 3) There is no Equalization Charge, Go directly to stage 4.
Stage 4) Float Charge: Red Light Off, Green Light On. Float Voltage = 13.2 VDC. If
an external load is applied to the battery while the charger is in stage 4, Float Charge, and
if the battery voltage drops below a range between 12.0 to 12.5 VDC, then the charge
cycle restarts.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I believe the new BMW's come with special Gel-cell battery made just for them. I think they (gel-cell) may have a problem with CCA, they don't hold a big charge for very long~~~~~I could be wrong about that, 'cause my memory sux

I believe the AGM and Gel-cell were both originally developed for the Air force.

theres something bad about a lead-acid battery being upside down and taking G-8 turn at MACH 2 :banghead: :D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts