GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to go on a Iron Butt ride Mid May. The factory seat just dont cut 1,000 mile trip within 24hrs. I am looking for recommendations from the GL family on what they would recommend or reject. Thanks

:shrug:

Claude

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have both. Use the beads when it is hot to keep a little airflow going and use the gel seat when it is cooler as it warms things up. Both ease the strain of long rides and using them interchangeably on an iron butt ride might work well.
Good luck

safe riding

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I am planning to go on a Iron Butt ride Mid May. The factory seat just dont cut 1,000 mile trip within 24hrs. I am looking for recommendations from the GL family on what they would recommend or reject. Thanks

Claude
I like the bead seat. I have tried other things but just keep coming back to the beads. My son works with Shane Smith the winner of the 2005 Iron Butt. His comment to him was someone gave him a bead seat to try and it had a lot to do with him winning.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I used the beads and they do help to circulate the air, I bought one of those Cushions at Wal-Mart that every one was talking about a while back, and now I won't ride without it.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

Claude

Both"

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Airhawk. I had gel and almost cancelled trip after 500 miles. Airhaw made the next 5000 miles bearable.

Now I have the Wingsoft modification and I will be keeping the Airhawk pad as a backup for my next long trip.

The connected air chambers in the Airhawk pad work very well, and you can decide how firm you want it.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I did the Beads for a long day and was sore the second day. I have the one from Wally and it's ok. I ride without anything now, but I have backup if needed. The Beads and the one from Wally.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wally Cushion

I know this has been posted before, but I can't find the details. What are the details on the Wally cushion - model #, etc., and where in that big box are they most likely to be located?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wally World - Deluxe Model - Auto section. Around 19.99

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have to agree with SloDog that the Airhawk is really nice. My seat is at Russell Day-Long right now, and will be back around May 5th, but I will not be parting with my Airhawk until I am SURE that the new (custom to my butt) seat does the trick.

Tried the beads and they were too hard to suit me.

Have an Airvent and it's just So-So.

Never tried a Gel pad. Sorry.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The ultimate in comfort for me was when I had a Russell Day-Long seat custom fitted for my wife and I when I was riding my '89 GL-1500. I let it go when I sold that bike to purchase my 2005 GL-1800A because I thought I would give the "new" Honda stock seat a shot. I will admit the new '05 stock seat is noticably more comfortable than my original '89 stock seat. It is not what I would call really comfortable but I have done several Saddle Sore rides on it and I held up fairly well.

I have tried the beaded seat and it definately improves comfort, especially in the summer time so you keep air circulating down South so Monkey Butt is not nearly as much of an issue. I use Gold Bond Extra Strength powder as a much cheaper substitute to the Monkey Butt brand and it is available everywhere. I also wear the LDComfort undershorts instead of my normal tighty-whities on long trips and Iron Butt rides and that too contributes to a drier derrière.

What I absolutely HATE about Bead Rider beaded seats is that the black paint starts to disolve and rubs off when it gets wet. I have a pair of Yellow colored Gerbing electrically headed bibs that look like I crapped myself (black diarea) after a wet ride up in the Northwest. The good news (if you can call it that) is that the black crap washes out without too much trouble. About the time the ink all wears off the beads, the nylon line starts to fray and break apart so it needs to be replace, either the line or the whole seat.

I had thoughts about dunking a new Bead rider seat in paint solvent but I am sure that would disolve or otherwise break down the nylon line along with the black paint. What is so hard about painting those beads so it doesn't come off so easily? I have no experience with the Wally World beaded seats, but that may be my next attempt to get around that problem. After two Bead Rider seats giving me a black ass (I am a fat white boy), I am done with that manufacturer's product.

·
Registered
464 Posts
To Ed Shroeder, I found mine in the auto section of Wally world near the floor mats and other seat cushons. It a large deluxe model gel pad

Now this one is NOT a bead seat but a gel pad with a cloth cover. One side of the cover is open weave like a net the other side is a closed heavy weave and the carrying strap actually fits very well between the seat and shelter of the GL1800 holding it place. It looks like it was made for the GL1800 and how it covers the seating area.

About an hour and 20 minutes is about all I could take at a time on the stock seat. Then my butt would ache and burn. With the pad I've not ridden far or long enough to see how far I can actually go. Certainly past my 1.5 hours as before. I need gas before I need to get off and walk off the pain now.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
BEADS-We used the beads when we road to Florida and back and they do the job on a long hot ride. I use them all the time in the summer and when I don't use them I just trow them in the trunk they don't take up much room.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I tried the beads for a while and was sheer torture. Like sitting on hard rocks. I went with the WalMart gel seat with two gel pads in it laying with the squares facing each other. I also have went to a Sheepskin on top of the wal mart pad. I found a good deal on one for $39. It only comes in black but really works well. They also sell gel pads, but are much more $$$. heare is a link for the sheep skins.

www.gelseat.com

You cannot order online. I called the phone # listed and ordered the large sheep skin. They shipped the next day and I got it quickly.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I tried the gel and did not like it, too hot here in Florida.
We have an IKEA nearby and I picked up one of their $19 sheepskins, cut two throw covers out of it for driver and passenger.
They fit the bill for us!
It keeps the Bum cool, and is cushy! (Without raising you up like the gel pads do.)
I won't go on any trips without it and when not in use just throw it in the trunk....makes a great trunk rug!
$19

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks

Thanks to all for your input and comments - I think I'll try the Wally gel cushion.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
voting for beadrider "ultra beads"

I just purchased the new Beadrider, constructed of composite beads vs. the usual wooden beads for longevity. On some of my prior bikes (Cavalcade, Vulcan 1500, Guzzi Ambassador) I was disappointed with expensive aftermarket seats (especially Mustang) and sheepskin covers (very soft but no extra support) and the Airhawk (too squirmy).
The Beadrider will firm up the seat a drop, and give your ass cheeks a cooling massage from the flowing air underneath. I am impressed over the first 1000 miles of useage, for a fraction of the $cost of the others. www.beadrider.com Not fancy or revolutionary, but a minor aid for little money which is what I was looking for.

Gary K. Silver Spring, Maryland

1 - 20 of 27 Posts