GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the gel type seat that is available for the GL1800? Is it more comfortable than the stock seat? Is it worth the money or is just better to stay with the stock seat?

All input greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
gel seats

Gels can be and are suseptable to being very hard when cold. More so they are a temporary fix. SAVE your money up and buy a RICK MAYER seat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a gel pad seat now. I would never do it that way again. It soaks up to much heat if left in sun for even a short while.
gary

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I tried a gel pad and it was great for the first hour and got hot on the second. Could not recommend it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
my wife and i used gel pads on a 8500 mile trip to alaska and back in june,i dont think i could have done it without the pad no heat problems and i could move it fore and aft on the seat as needed.i dont use it on shorter rides around home.xx

G

·
I have the Airhawk cushion. Adjustable and comfortable. No heat buildup. No butt sweat. Washable cover. Tie down or leave loose.

Works for me.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
375 Posts
ctgoldwing

You must be from North Carolina and a Duke fan, right?

Basketball Capital of the World, GO DUKE

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Skip it and look to something else or one of the motorcycle seat manufacturers. The Gel pad sounds like it would be nice, but it leaves a seat that is way too firm and not that comfortable. I ultimately added some memory foam on top of my gel pad insert and that did help quite a bit, but I wouldn't go the gel pad insert again if I had the choice.

DaleC

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
If I were building a seat I'd use gel as the very bottom layer to make a soft/smooth foundation. Sitting on gel on a cool day is like sitting on a steak that just came out of the fridge; on a hot day it's like a skillet.

And regarding Rick Mayer, caveat emptor; read my review in this thread: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=68473

I've tried everything and Diamond is the only thing that worked for my long legs and density. It took Diamond three tries to build it for me.

Comfort is very personal.

·
Registered
110 Posts
lovetoride said:
ctgoldwing

You must be from North Carolina and a Duke fan, right?

Basketball Capital of the World, GO DUKE
:p

:?: :?: :?:
I didn't realize that Duke had TWO (2) active Hall of Fame Coaches too and their Men's & Women's teams also both won NCAA titles the same year, congratulations!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The Airvent seat cushion for the rider is great....not only does it allow air in, the cushion itself improves the stock seat comfort as well.

We recommended the Airvent to a Harley friend and he now won't be without it.....even on his new Goldwing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gel Seats

My wife & I both use both a gel pad beneath a genuine (not imitation) sheepskin for seat comfort. They are very comfortable for awhile. They also provide additional height for my 6'5" frame. However, our last 10 hr day left our butt-bones aching for a week, and had my crotch feeling like I had been sitting on a heat gun. (The stock seat left the same impressions.)

I am in the market for a custom seat, but need to find the right mfr who can get it right the first time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gel Pad is good

My wife and I used the Gel Pad in an attempt to rid MONKEY BUTT from our ride to the Great Smokys from Ormond Beach. After 6 hours in the saddle, the gel pad was refreshing. Get tired of it? Put it in the trailer. A nice accessary to have around, in my opinion. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts