GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I tried that on my last 2002 wing, years ago...........Pad/gel just got very hard, and was not comfy after a while.....Hope you have better luck then I did....

NOT trying to be Debbie Down'rrrr here at all....I also thought that this would be good idea....

Ronnie

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a relatively short 30 mile test drive today and my observations are very positive with the results. The gel pad really spread out any pressure points I had. And the familiar ache in my lower back was gone. The gel pad also served as a good shock absorber. I am planning on removing the vinyl cover again and adding another 1/2” of upholstery foam to make the seat even more plush.

·
IronMan
17,631 Posts
i took a relatively short 30 mile test drive today and my observations are very positive with the results. The gel pad really spread out any pressure points i had. And the familiar ache in my lower back was gone. The gel pad also served as a good shock absorber. I am planning on removing the vinyl cover again and adding another 1/2” of upholstery foam to make the seat even more plush.
if you do any shaving/cutting it down ( for height ) trim from bottom side not to change look of seat were it goes under cover. Good job !

Reactions: Norman Kohn

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchased 1/4” high density foam from a local upholstery supply, pulled the cover off and glued the new foam in place. Took my time and really love the seat now, and it still looks stock. It feels firm and plush at the same time, so mission accomplished. I took 100 mile ride on some bumpy roads and my back feels great.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do you have the heated seat?
I really like this and I am thinking strongly of doing this myself, but I do have the heated seat and I don't want to lose that option.
Nice job by the way.
(I'm not too afraid of doing this project as I've rebuilt many motorcycle seats over the years.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the non tour model that does not have the heated seat. I may add a heating element some day, but with our 100+ temps this summer I am not motivated. I believe your seat has a heating element that you can lift up, do your seat mod and then place it back in position. That’s how the pros have redone their seats.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Go to Walmart or a seat builder and purchase a seat cushion and place on top of your stock seat (all under $10.00)... works like a charm! No need to spend big bucks! i can ride for hours longer now that I have placed this seat cushion on top of my stock seat..
In September I'm going on a 7 hours ride all the way up to Rockport Maine (google map) not at a worried now!

Ronnie

Reactions: Norman Kohn
1 - 12 of 12 Posts