GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Wingsoft Large and basically I am happy with it but I still have a feeling of sliding forward and after a couple of hundred miles my butt is hurting. I have done about everything else but feel that if I could just get a slight angle from front to back of the seat (to give me a very slight lean) that would help tremendously. I am considering placing a gel pad insert in the seat. I purchased the Wal Mart cushion and it works however I am approaching ridiculous on the height. I have the Wing Soft which raises me, Bead Rider Beads and now the cushion and my eyes are almost even with the top of a Tulsa Tall windshield. The wind noise has increased dramatically also.
I am looking for a pad that is designed to be placed in the seat (under the cover) that will allow me to mold the foam to the angle I want and won't all squeeze to one side or the other.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The symptom you are referring to is tender butt. Everyone gets it after a few hours of riding. The only thing that cures it is riding for a couple of days straight. Eventually it goes away, but the first day is the toughest.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I know. I just finished a three day 1500 mile ride last weekend and 200 today. I am just thinking if I was angled back a little and maybe had a little more give with a gel insert it might allow me to continue on longer.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I have Honda's stock seat with gel covered with sheepskin along with the Wal Mart cushion zipped inside with a (get this),
a sheepskin car wash mit that raises the "horn" section of my seat and all together works great.

I never get that forward lean you talk about, and I can handle the extra height because I'm 6'1".

It takes some experimenting, but it does work.

Good Luck

·
Registered
855 Posts
before you go any further you might look at the problem from a different point of view.
try some LDComfort underwear. you might be very surprised.
http://www.ldcomfort.com/

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
before you go any further you might look at the problem from a different point of view.
try some LDComfort underwear. you might be very surprised.
http://www.ldcomfort.com/
I've started using Under Armour and have notice a marked improvement in riding comfort.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I am wearing bicycle shorts now with padding and something that wicks better may help. It is more of the angle that I am sitting that I feel is the problem. I would like to be able to lean back slightly - like a cruiser but not that much. I am 6'1" and with the Bead Riders, the Wing Soft I am very close to the top of the windscreen now. The additional height from the Wal Mart cushion puts my head up pretty high and I get a lot more wind noise. I also have the feeling that I need to push to stay back in the seat.
I am still going to talk to a upholster and see if I can shape the bottom of the seat and put in a gel insert. I was curious if anyone knew of a source or brand that might fit the bill.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
For longer rides... I wear biker shorts with the gel padding....makes a HHHHHuge difference ... very supportive as well .

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I would think about another direction as well. If you have a stock suspension, the front sags about 3" just from the weight of the bike. The first thing I noticed when I had my 1800 Traxxionized was that I no longer slid forward but stayed planted in the seat. Their sag is only 1". I don't know what their sag was, but my Progressive springs did not do that for me.

You may be able to solve this by getting just the Traxxion front springs put in and disabling the anti-dive valve. The cost would be $125 plus installation which should only be around $100 or so. It's not a hard job.

It worked for me and may for you. And if you ever decide to go with the Traxxion AK20s, they refund the cost of their springs.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan
I just got the full Monty Traxxion a couple of weeks ago. And MOP's.

I wear biker shorts with padding now.

I think it is a matter of the back portion of the seat is too flat. I may be totally off and I think I will order a pair of the LD shorts to just to try them.

I have spent a almost 2000 miles on my bike in the last seven days and all the suggestions about tender butt are probably correct. I would just love to be able to lean back slightly. I am putting Reg Risers on as soon as they arrive to get the handlebars back and that may be a major part of the problem. To hold the grips fully in my hand I do have to lean forward slightly. After having neck fusion last year my right hand goes numb after a while of doing this.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
I still have the same problem. I'm thinking the Large wasn't big enough? I still find myself pushing back in the seat. They did a GREAT job on the seat, it's nothing on them. I just think it's something with me. If it didn't cost so much to ship the seat, I would have them do some more work on it. Not everyone is the same, even if their height and weight are close. So, I'm not faulting the company. It is DEFINITELY a great improvement over my stock seat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For longer rides... I wear biker shorts with the gel padding....makes a HHHHHuge difference ... very supportive as well .
Padding should be a function of the seat and not something you stuff into your underpants. It just stands to reason. Wear bicycle shorts on a bicycle. Wear motorcycle shorts when you ride a motorcycle.
WWW.LDComfort.com
You should enjoy every mile and be happy at the end of a long day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts