GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some relief from the stock seat on long rides. I have been debating (as well as reading other posts) whether to get a gel pad or to get a new seat. Problem is I have a heated factory seat and like it when it gets cold out.

So I have two questions.

1. If money is no object (does not apply to me) what would you do?

2. If you are on a tight budget, what is the best gel seat and what type of pad cover works best?

·
Registered
814 Posts
If money was not object: I would get an aftermarket seat
Budget: Wall Mart pad - $18.00 and it works great. I have had other gel pads, air pads, etc, etc, and I am the most comfortable on this. Not all Wallmarts carry it, I bough mine at a K-Mart in the automotive section.
Doesnt get hot like a gel seat when you leave it in the sun.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
I have to agree with the Wal-Mart pad. I was surprised at how well it works for the money. You can't go wrong for $18!

I think it is called The Ultimate Seat Cushion, or something like that.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I purchased an air vent pad for me and my wife, $105. This is not air filled but has 2 types of foam in them. It works great. I put 7k miles on it this past summer without any complaints and if you wear the bike under shorts you can feel the air under you. This was well worth the money. http://airventusa.com/styles2004.htm :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Wing soft seat is a great modification at a reasonable price, or like the others said, The Ultimate Seat Cushion from Wal-Mart is great also. I had the Wing soft on my 02 and I have the Ultimate Seat Cushion on my 08.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Before you run out and buy a new custom seat. Try the airhawk seat pad. I have tried them all, sheepskins, gel pads, this pad, that pad, even have at times used bubble wrap. :wrong: . The air hawk is pretty unique and even during the day you can change the entire feel of the seat simply by adding or releasing some air and get a whole new feel.

It works well, that and some Mics and you are ready for a long day.

Kit

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've tried a high zoot seat with a gel insert on another bike.

Felt like sitting on a piece of meat (I stole that from Andy Goldfine).

All butts are different, but gel did not get along with mine.

YMMV!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I found a upholstery shop locally that does work for bike shops in the area that dissected my seat ('08 with seat heater), cut out some OEM foam and inserted gel, laid back the cover foam and reassembled the seat. Now I can ride all day long. The gel in the seat distributes my ample weight and the foam give a little 'cush'

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have to agree with the Wal-Mart pad. I was surprised at how well it works for the money. You can't go wrong for $18!

I think it is called The Ultimate Seat Cushion, or something like that.

+1

·
Registered
506 Posts
+2 for the Wally-World pad!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I tried the Wal-Mart pad but it didn't work for me. Still had the tail bone pain. I now have a Comfort-Max gel pad with sheep skin cover, $130 shipped. http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm It sits me up about 3/4 of an inch higher when I first get on, however after riding for a little bit you seem to fit into it and is a lot better for me then the Wal-Mart pad. I'm on the heavey side so that might be why the Wal-Mart pad didn't hold up for me. Well there's my two cents..............

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would recommend against Aqua-Aire Cushion. I placed an order early last year and received no product. No email or voice response.:shrug::shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Is the walmart cushion in the automotive section? How thick is it?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hello,
I purchased two pads from wallmart, what has one done aside from putting a cover over the pad to keep the zipper end from cutting into the seat ?
Thank
Rich K ( WingSki )

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thanks I will ask my wife to look at wally world next time she is in there. I hate that place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts