GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the Gen 1 ('02) Goldwings come standard with a CB? I'm new to the Goldwing community and mine has all the controls for one but either mine is not working or it doesn't have one.
Also if they did not come standard, where is the CB located and are the wires and connectors there for a plug and play set up? Also is the antenna suitable for the CB too?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
No, the CB has been add on from the start on 1800’s. Have all the controls ready for it. Just add CB and antenna.

Reactions: kwthom and BigBob1

·
Registered
973 Posts
CB is located underneath the cubby in the bottom of the trunk. If you don't have an antenna, you probably don't have a cb.

·
Registered
445 Posts
There's a compartment in the center of the floor of the trunk that has an easily removable lid. That is where the CB and CD player mount. The CB would be on the bottom, and the CD on the top. It's not just for extra storage...

All the wires and connectors are there; the CB kit contains only the CB, 3 noise filters, and a cover for the lower part of the compartment. There are no controls on the CB unit itself; it's just a black box with connectors on it. I haven't seen mine since I installed it. The antenna is sold separately and mounts on the left side of the trunk; it has a "barrel" in the middle of it. Some people don't use the Honda antenna, so the CB antenna may not be obvious.

The Honda CB is very expensive - in the neighborhood of $1000 for the radio and antenna, so it wasn't a must-have for most people.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
If you are buying a used bike, and want a CB, and it has the antenna, make sure the cb is there too.

On the used one I bought the previous owner had kept the cb for their new bike, but left the antenna so as to not need to repair the mounting location.
(this was disclosed ... )

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Are you sure the CB is in the same trunk compartment as the CD changer?? I removed the CD changer in my 2001 and there was no room for anything else and the CB is still actively working.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The CB is mounted under the CD changer. There is a removable shelf that is hiding it under where the CD changer is supposed to be.

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The CB is mounted under the CD changer. There is a removable shelf that is hiding it under where the CD changer is supposed to be.
Thanks for the clarification. I will have to take another look, although I have no plans to remove the CB (even though I have not had a use for it). Someday it may come in handy as there is a lot of remote country up here w/o cell signal.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I use mine around traffic back ups, to gain awareness of what's coming up and which lane to use. Also passing info to oncoming traffic and checking conditions ahead while around truck stops and such. I'm an old CB head and most admit it's handy but too darn pricey for the 1800. Still is have to ask what else replace it for random road communication?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
If you are buying a used bike, and want a CB, and it has the antenna, make sure the cb is there too.

On the used one I bought the previous owner had kept the cb for their new bike, but left the antenna so as to not need to repair the mounting location.
(this was disclosed ... )
It nice when the owner discloses what he knows ... the good and the bad :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts