GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my personal opinion, some may agree and others disagree. Let's not get into another spitting contest.

All though the tire rides real smooth and handles well with the pressure 44- 46psi, I would not recommend this tire to anyone. For me a non run flat guy, the sidewalls are just to thin and flexible for my liking. I ran it around yesterday at 36psi cold, and to me it felt worse than my Hankook with 10psi hot when I picked up a nail. It is not a tire I would trust at high speed in the twisties! It will be coming off very soon. I may use it in the winter for riding around the neighborhood at speed limit speeds, mostly 35-50mph! It's a shame, I really love the tread design! But there is more to a tire than just tread design!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I guess I'll keep mine at 45psi until it's done... :cry:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
This is my personal opinion, some may agree and others disagree. Let's not get into another spitting contest.

All though the tire rides real smooth and handles well with the pressure 44- 46psi, I would not recommend this tire to anyone. For me a non run flat guy, the sidewalls are just to thin and flexible for my liking. I ran it around yesterday at 36psi cold, and to me it felt worse than my Hankook with 10psi hot when I picked up a nail. It is not a tire I would trust at high speed in the twisties! It will be coming off very soon. I may use it in the winter for riding around the neighborhood at speed limit speeds, mostly 35-50mph! It's a shame, I really love the tread design! But there is more to a tire than just tread design!
I just put one on this morning. A little rain came just as I was going to try it out. I was the one asking if the inside or outside made any difference as to what side to face toward what. I may be jerking mine off for another Falken. On a positive note I shoved it back in the wheel well without any strain; even with 42 psi and no soaping it up. I think the little adjustment I made to the wheel well last night made some difference.

·
Registered
393 Posts

The non runflat tire I am using now has thick sidewalls, I am running 33-34 PSI and it seems about right for this tire, It actually seems to get worse with lots of air in it. I take it to 100 MPH a lot and the tire is very stable at 34 PSI.

I mount tires every day and there are lots of non runflat tires I would never use on a bike, the sidewalls are just too thin. The Falken is a tire I considered until I checked the sidewall, but it was just too thin and wimpy. In a "good" non runflat you will not need to run 44 PSI in it, 34-36 should be enough.

My Bridgestone sidewall is about 3 times thicker than a Falken sidewall is.

All tires are made differently, some work much better than others.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on the GMax Rocket.

Wolffie, I may have to try one of those EP100 tires. With the sidewall as thick as you say and weighing in only at 19 pounds it sounds promising.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Good report, Rocketman911. Talk yourself into trying one of the (very affordable) Dunlop SP Sport 5000's in a 195/60-16; I believe you'll be impressed with the ride and control even at 32 psi....

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I'll keep mine at 45psi until it's done... :cry:
Lee, I just love the tread design of this tire and the way it handles. I found it to be fantastic at holding a line on the curves. On kinda grooved repaving pavement, it didn't wander on me at all. One thing I would do is run it for a short distance at 40, 35, 30, and 25 just to see how how it felt.

I checked the tire temp this morning it was at 90° before I rolled it outside in the sun. I put 47psi in it, and 38psi in my Conti motion and headed for the backroads of north Alabama, southern Tennessee. My ride was mostly below 60. At the higher pressure it's a fantastic tire. If they made it with stiffer sidewalls or a run flat I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. As I said earlier, I will use it this winter around the house on short distances! Be safe out there!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good report, Rocketman911. Talk yourself into trying one of the (very affordable) Dunlop SP Sport 5000's in a 195/60-16; I believe you'll be impressed with the ride and control even at 32 psi....
Thanks Redline, I may give it a whirl! But as my friend Rail32 says, "to many tires, and to little time"!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Like my Bridgestone, this tire also has a thick sidewall compared to most tires.

·
Registered
111 Posts

+1

It just isn't suitable, at 45 psi it was really smooth on the trip to Oklahoma, but I just felt uneasy as if something wasnt right. I will not air it up till its hard to make it feel ok.

I will ride it around till I figure out which tire to get next, Woofie's tire sounds like a fine one. Probably be between it and a ROF .

What's the price on the popular DS'er ROF tires? FB :coffee1:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1

It just isn't suitable, at 45 psi it was really smooth on the trip to Oklahoma, but I just felt uneasy as if something wasnt right. I will not air it up till its hard to make it feel ok.

I will ride it around till I figure out which tire to get next, Woofie's tire sounds like a fine one. Probably be between it and a ROF .

What's the price on the popular DS'er ROF tires? FB :coffee1:

Here is a link to give you an idea!

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....&Marke=&ranzahl=4&RunFlat=1&suchen=View+tires

·
Registered
441 Posts
Rocketman,

Since this is my first CT and I have nothing but MTs to compare it with I still like the ride. I've been running 44-46psi so far and it's been great on the few twistys I've ridden. My favorite commuting twisty road was oiled and chipped right after school let out which really bummed me out. No school buses or traffic now and I have to wait until all of the loose stones and oil gets washed away.

I did get to test it out in a real gully washer of a rain storm and the tire did great! I could feel the front tire starting to struggle a little in the deep water but that CT was rock solid.

Since I have a spare rim with a pretty worn out Stone on it I'll keep my eye out for another tire. I'm thinking I might like to try a ROF next, maybe the Kumru everybody seems to like.

You be safe out there too!

Lee, I just love the tread design of this tire and the way it handles. I found it to be fantastic at holding a line on the curves. On kinda grooved repaving pavement, it didn't wander on me at all. One thing I would do is run it for a short distance at 40, 35, 30, and 25 just to see how how it felt.

I checked the tire temp this morning it was at 90° before I rolled it outside in the sun. I put 47psi in it, and 38psi in my Conti motion and headed for the backroads of north Alabama, southern Tennessee. My ride was mostly below 60. At the higher pressure it's a fantastic tire. If they made it with stiffer sidewalls or a run flat I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. As I said earlier, I will use it this winter around the house on short distances! Be safe out there!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Lee! I have rode on wet roads with it but not in a down pour. I figured it would be a great tire in the rain. That is why I am going to take it off and keep it for this winter during the rainy season!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: My wife don't ride usually Nov. through March when it's cold and wet out! So it should serve me well at this time!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I just put one on this morning. A little rain came just as I was going to try it out. I was the one asking if the inside or outside made any difference as to what side to face toward what. I may be jerking mine off for another Falken. On a positive note I shoved it back in the wheel well without any strain; even with 42 psi and no soaping it up. I think the little adjustment I made to the wheel well last night made some difference.
Rode it around yesterday after rain blew over. Have to admit that it felt just as smooth if not smoother than the Falken. I didn't have it balanced either but it was still smooth even up to 100 mph (only a couple of seconds). It doesn't seem to follow stripes or lines like the Falken did. Didn't seem to take much input in the curves but that could be because the sidewalls have so much give to them. Wish I had examined the tire, espically the sidewall a little more closely before it was mounted.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At 42psi it is the smoothest tire I have ridden. At 47psi it rides smooth but about like the others.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts