GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaning towards the Honda generator, but open to discussion on other comparable units. I would like to pay less than retail. What is the best price that you folks have come across and where?
I have a A/C for my bunkhouse and a CPAP machine to power.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Well, I have a couple of Honda rigs. One is the EU3500 that I use at home in case of power failure, the other I use in the camp trailer - an EU 2000. Prefer them because they are about as quiet as you can find, but more expensive than a Coleman or some of the others. For camping, the EU2000 is a tough act to follow. It also is an Inverter, rather than a generator, and gives cleaner power for any electronics, likc computers, etc. But a good used (they quit making them) EU1000 would work for camping - lights, electric blanket, but not the AC unit.

Because of the AC unit, I would pick on the EU 2000. And it would be really easy to mount it on the trailer tongue of the Bunkhouse in place of the cooler. That would make it really easy to go down the road with it running and wired to your machine.

Would an inverter also run your CPAP or is the wattage too much?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harry,

Thanks for the prompt response. I have a couple of friends who are using the 2000 Honda for both the AC and the CPAP and are well pleased. Have you got a lead on the place with the best price?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I thought of getting a generator before for camping trips. But I am trying to figure out where to pack the generator at. I am always fighting for room inside the cargo area. AC, tools, clothes, misc items. Is their another way I am not thinking about to pack a generator??

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I've got an EU2000 and it's handier than a pocket on a shirt. Expect tp pay retail unless you can find a store wide sell going on at somewhere like Gander Mountain. A dealer friend of mine told me the markup on these units is very small.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I tried a battery with a 400w inverter and a 2 amp charger to see if it would get me thru the night with my cpap machine. It lasted about 6 hours then the inverter shut down for low voltage. Not sure if the inverter was really pulling hard on the battery due to the charger trying to keep up the voltage up on the battery. I don't think it was the cpap pulling that much power. I can't remember if the humidifier function was on or off now. That would pull more juice.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I thought of getting a generator before for camping trips. But I am trying to figure out where to pack the generator at. I am always fighting for room inside the cargo area. AC, tools, clothes, misc items. Is their another way I am not thinking about to pack a generator??
Depends on what you are towing. You could build a carrier for the tongue of the trailer, putting the EU2000 on one side and a smaller cooler on the other. It the tongue weight gets clear out of hand, put about a foot of extension on the front and make it longer.

You could also mount it on the rear of the trailer if it is a side opening camper, but not on a Rollahome or a Time Out that is a end opening one. I put a spare tire carrier on the rear of my KwikKamp just to balance some of the forward weight.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Are you sure a 2000 watt generator is enough, What about heating the portable swimming pool ?? Or to run the Micro-wave ?? One big TV plus the Micro-wave will use all of the 2000 watts, then when the a/c comes on, lights out !!

Plus the larger Generator will have a larger fuel tank, so when you run out of gas towing all of this, you can just pump out of the generator into the bike.

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Based on this, I just got a 50 KW unit, yanked the engine out of the trike, put in an electric motor, got some welding lead to hook it up, and got an endorsement on the Drivers License to pull doubles, triples, and HAZMAT.

NOW is can really charge the cell phone. Hook it up direct and I should be able to call Hubble.....

And gas milage is way up there -- until the extension cord comes tight....

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Alright, now that is my kind of engineering.. You will go far my man !!

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. I had heard that discounts were tough to come by, but some had stumbled into a store having a clerance sale and had saved about $300-400. As usual, I was way too late. The 2000 will handle the needs that I have and then some.
I appreciate the posts with humor as well. I have to check the draw on a dish that puts the picture (20'' diagonal) on the inside of my windshield.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I camp the main electrical use would be for an air mattress or maybe coffee in the morning. Has anyone used an inverter plugged into the 12volt socket on the Wing? :shrug:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I use a 12V/110 coffee pot that I have had for years, and plug it into the dedicated high currant plug that I put in my left rear pocket. 30 amp direct to battery. It helps to run the bike if it is really cold out too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Honda

Pay attention to which Honda Generator. Honda's got a new version called a EU2000i Companion Generator. It comes with a built in 30 amp RV receptable. You buy a set of parallel cables plug two Honda's together and you got power to run your ac/microwave, whatever. It gives you 4000 watts total.

Most of the time, you only need 1 to run the furnace, tv, etc. but if you want to microwave or run the ac, it's handy to have both.

I went that route because the son was moving out, and I wouldn't be able to load their 138 lb 3000 watter into the truck. This way, you have 2 48 pound loads, even wifey can hoist it.

One more thing. When you're running the generator, make sure you turn the vent on the gas cap to the run or on position. If you don't it coughs, stalls, but suddenly roars to life when you pull the gas cap off while it's stalling. Don't ask me how long it took me to learn this.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/honda-eu2000ia-companion-portable-generator/43844

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pay attention to which Honda Generator. Honda's got a new version called a EU2000i Companion Generator. It comes with a built in 30 amp RV receptable. You buy a set of parallel cables plug two Honda's together and you got power to run your ac/microwave, whatever. It gives you 4000 watts total.

Most of the time, you only need 1 to run the furnace, tv, etc. but if you want to microwave or run the ac, it's handy to have both.

I went that route because the son was moving out, and I wouldn't be able to load their 138 lb 3000 watter into the truck. This way, you have 2 48 pound loads, even wifey can hoist it.

One more thing. When you're running the generator, make sure you turn the vent on the gas cap to the run or on position. If you don't it coughs, stalls, but suddenly roars to life when you pull the gas cap off while it's stalling. Don't ask me how long it took me to learn this.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/honda-eu2000ia-companion-portable-generator/43844
Yes, that is the one I have been looking at. The local stealer mentioned hooking them up to each other, too. He also said he was heavy on inventory for the 3500-3800 watt unit ( it is just one wattage, I don't remember the exact # ), and said he would "deal". In my experience, about a dollar off is a "deal" to him.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Call A&C Extreme Sports In New Jersey. 856-451-0300
www.acextremesports.com I just bought an EU2000 less than a month ago and paid $870.00 to my door which included shipping.
I didn't buy it for camping with my Time Out trailer.
In my trailer I have a deep cycle battery along with a 300 watt pure sine inverter that I bought from CPAP.COM It's good for at least 4 nights plus will make coffee in my 4 cup coffee maker. The 300 watt is only for the cpap. I have a 750 watt for the coffee maker.
If you want more details you can email me and I'd be glad to help you out.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Call A&C Extreme Sports In New Jersey. 856-451-0300
www.acextremesports.com I just bought an EU2000 less than a month ago and paid $870.00 to my door which included shipping.
I didn't buy it for camping with my Time Out trailer.
In my trailer I have a deep cycle battery along with a 300 watt pure sine inverter that I bought from CPAP.COM It's good for at least 4 nights plus will make coffee in my 4 cup coffee maker. The 300 watt is only for the cpap. I have a 750 watt for the coffee maker.
If you want more details you can email me and I'd be glad to help you out.

Thanks,

This is the type of deal I was looking for, when I get back from work, I will give them a call.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
just wondering

Toolboxjunkey, What is the 2 AMP BATTERY

CHARGER for? :shock:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Galewing, you asked "What is a battery charger for????"

A battery is a storage unit. When you have a constant draw, like Tool Box had with his rig hooked up, the battery will discharge unless it has something to recharge it. When the bike is running, that is the alternator. When the bike is shut down, has to be an outside source.

So, he tried a 2 amp battery charger. But then decided it was not enough - the battery went under after 6 hours. So, a larger battery charger would be the next step - like maybe a 5 amp charger.

That's what a battery charger is for!!!!

As opposed to a battery tender - it does not shut off - it just keeps a chargin'. And that is not good for a battery over time - boils and overcooks them. An alternator voltage regulator varies the output when the engine is running, and a battery tender shuts down when a battery is fully charged, but tests the voltage every so often, and brings the battery back up to full if it is low, then shuts back off. Thats why they are put on when a long storage of a bike is expected.

I replied this way because I don't know if your post was being facetious, or if you really wondered. So, I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and not a smart ass-ed answer.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
try amazon, at least you save sales tax,

and most generators ship for free

i purchased my 3750 generac from amazon

homelite also makes a similar model to the honda

1 - 20 of 22 Posts