GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 8:46 am yesterday my riding partner hit a deer and went down. I went to pick up his bike and do a half way investigation with a couple other MC riders. It appears he hit the deer just in the middle of the deers shoulder, the deer was knocked back to the right side of the road in the ditch, ( Dear had crossed from the right, ) point of impact is clear on the road, the bike then stayed upright for about 15 more feet. After discussing with my freind, it appears he lost control when the front fender that was broken during impact rolled down getting under the front tire causing a immediate loss of traction and the resulting crash. The signs on the fender support this too. It also appears that he had the rear tire locked and sliding and when the front tire slipped he let off the brakes quickly causing the bike to high side, flipping him off to slide on the pavement..My buddy now has a broken shoulder, torn rotator cuff, fractured hand and some road rash..He is recovering quite nicely and will be home in a few...Just sharing for the learning experience..

jb

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Hope your buddy recovers quickly. Any idea of the speed when he hit the deer?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he recovers soon. Maybe the 2013's will come with a 'cow catcher' like the old locomotives used to have, at least down here on the Georgia models!

:joke:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His speed at first sight of the deer was about 68, at impact he speculates about 30, 35..As he left the bike he thinks maybe 15 or so...This guy rides about 30,000 miles a year, good rider, excellant reflexes, just wrong place wrong time..

jb

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm in the Blairsville area been seeing deer every time out this spring. Getting more then a little bit paronoid. Hope everything works out ok.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Tell your buddy Hi. Glad he did not get any more seriously hurt.

Damm deer, they are a threat for sure.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Glad your buddy will be alright. :thumbup:

Saw one of those long-legged forest rats today myself. :eek:4:

I have a theory that I have posted before. Take it for what it's worth. It worked for me about 2 years ago when I tagged one.. slight tupperware damage and the bike wobbled a little.:yes1:

I believe that we should fight off the urge to brake and/or quickly manuever. We have a 900+ pound bike, a 175+ pound rider plus gear, plus inertia. I believe it would take a very large animal or a weird set of circumstances to put me or anyone else down who does the following:

If I have time to slow, I will and do, however, if I see a collision that is unavoidable, I have and will lock my elbows, maintain throttle and ride thru them.

Obviously, unscientific, but it's what has worked for me twice. Once with the deer hit above and once with a medium size dog. Actually ran over the dog and very little more than a wobble and thump.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
At speed deer may be unavoidable. I agree with Trialsman there may be less damage to ride thru these large rats. Many times it happens so fast-reactions are instinctive

·
Registered
6,000 Posts

I have a theory that I have posted before. Take it for what it's worth. It worked for me about 2 years ago when I tagged one.. slight tupperware damage and the bike wobbled a little.:yes1:

I believe that we should fight off the urge to brake and/or quickly manuever. We have a 900+ pound bike, a 175+ pound rider plus gear, plus inertia. I believe it would take a very large animal or a weird set of circumstances to put me or anyone else down who does the following:

If I have time to slow, I will and do, however, if I see a collision that is unavoidable, I have and will lock my elbows, maintain throttle and ride thru them.

Obviously, unscientific, but it's what has worked for me twice. Once with the deer hit above and once with a medium size dog. Actually ran over the dog and very little more than a wobble and thump.
i agree but will make it simple
alot of times what we dont do in a panic situation is more important than what we do

another way
most time us riders make things worse!!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sorry to hear about your buddy, hope he heals well and fast.
I totally agree with trialsman and yellow wolf. I have been preaching my theory for years. The best thing we can do is maintain throttle position and ride through the critter. There are always variables but when impact is imminent roll on the throttle and ride through.
Although I have not had the displeasure of hitting a deer this worked hitting a 70 pound dog on my vtx1300.

See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
i sure hope the rider fully recovers to ride again ! :thumbup:

Trialsman as u know a lot depends on where u will strike the deer, if the deer is going to run into the side of your bike your plan could cause u to get killed, every situation is different

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Sorry about your friend, hope he recovers quiakly and completely.

As far as riding through the deer goes, my reflexes are so slow i'd likley be on the other side of him before I realized it was a deer....

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hope your buddy is back on the road soon.

The deer out here are thick as fleas on a dogs a$$. I avoid riding at twilight due to there activity.

Early in the mooring they stand on my front lawn.

Mocking me.

·
Registered
388 Posts
:coffee1: A friend of mine just hit one in broad daylight on one of our expressways...only had the bike 10 days and hadn't even made a payment yet...6k in damage to the bike and minor damage to him...very lucky..Totalled my bike 3 years ago from a side impact with a nice big mommy doe...

Hope your pal gets well soon...I know the feeling

·
Registered
84 Posts
And I thought we had to worry about the big hoppy things here called Kangaroos, They are like hitting a bouncing brick wall and quite often they will bounce away while you are laying on the road wondering what happened.

Never realised Deer could be such an issue as we don't get that many wild ones over here. They look so cute and freindly on the venison farms.

Hope your friend pulls up okay and gets back in the saddle soon

·
Registered
206 Posts
We have a lot of deer and other big critters out here (Elk,antelope, buffalo, moose, etc) and it always makes me nervous when I see them. A big doe ran in to the side of my Ford Explorer at 4:30pm one day last month. $5100- damage and my wife was pretty upset. I didn't mind dragging the doe off the road, but when I found the unborn fawn on the road, I felt really bad.

A friend of mine on a Harley hit a deer a few weeks ago in upstate New York, he said there was no way he could avoid it, so he hit it head on. He was ok, but his front fender was crunched.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts