GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting in Jacksonville FL, ending in Maggie Valley NC.

Looking for best way from the bottom to the top of Georgia without going through Atlanta or straight up I-95. Is there a way to make “reasonable” time and stay off the slab most of the time”? Would like to avoid I95 and I75.

I make this trip often but usually go straight up I95 and then 26 over to Asheville which is fast but interstate all the way. Looking for a way to get upstate to around Hiawassee in a relatively efficient route and enjoy the ride.

What ya got? :nerd:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Get to Hyway 441 via Interstate 10 or a back road that angles up to it. Keep it simple, A lot of 441 has been improved to 4 lanes and the towns along it have grown and even have bypasses. plan that route on google maps then move it to 95 or 75 and see the difference. Not much, and it is the best way imho. Still fast & scenic little or no stress as far as traffic. Brings you close to Maggie Valley via a couple good fast roads or a 2 lane one.

I have taken this trip MANY times up to that area and it is far better route than any other especially 95/26 or 75. Have a good trip whichever way you go Ride Safe!!!

Just in case you don't know, fall is coming, and the leaf lookers are gonna be every where!! Tip:: Cabin rentals in that area can be a much better deal than Hotel/ Motel, BUT be sure they understand that you are on a M/C!!! The cabin MUST be easy to get to with a M/C!!!

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I can ask a friend on another board that lives in North GA for his best route if you like. He provided me with some excellent route suggestions last September. Really nice clean rural roads. He is on the Valkyrie Forum.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get to Hyway 441 via Interstate 10 or a back road that angles up to it. Keep it simple, A lot of 441 has been improved to 4 lanes and the towns along it have grown and even have bypasses. plan that route on google maps then move it to 95 or 75 and see the difference. Not much, and it is the best way imho. Still fast & scenic little or no stress as far as traffic. Brings you close to Maggie Valley via a couple good fast roads or a 2 lane one.

I have taken this trip MANY times up to that area and it is far better route than any other especially 95/26 or 75. Have a good trip whichever way you go Ride Safe!!!

Just in case you don't know, fall is coming, and the leaf lookers are gonna be every where!! Tip:: Cabin rentals in that area can be a much better deal than Hotel/ Motel, BUT be sure they understand that you are on a M/C!!! The cabin MUST be easy to get to with a M/C!!!
Thanks Doug! I was looking at 441 on the map and had come to the same conclusion you just confirmed. That is the route I am going to take.

My wife and I have had a place in Maggie for about 10 years so I am familiar with the the “leaf peepers” and the rentals. In fact, we rent our place there some when we aren’t using it. VRBO listing 612360 if interested in that kind of thing.

Anyway, thank you again for your advice!

Reactions: doug of no fl

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can ask a friend on another board that lives in North GA for his best route if you like. He provided me with some excellent route suggestions last September. Really nice clean rural roads. He is on the Valkyrie Forum.
Thanks, but no need. I think I will take the route Doug suggested. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have a route that goes right up that way. It takes an hour or so longer than the interstate. It’s hard to describe it because many of the roads aren’t on maps until you zoom down to .3 or .5 miles. Depending on where I’m headed when I get to Comer I head towards Dahlonega or Lavonia. It bypasses all towns of any size. A little bit is on 441 but I avoid roads like that. Too much traffic, too many towns, and too much revenue generation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts