GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - its winter here - 36 or so in the morning. Still a balmy 65 in the PM...but help me out those of you who have Gerber stuff:

1. If I get heated grips for the Wing do I need heated gloves?
2. Do you mount your controller permanently or use the portable one?
3. Do you use dual controllers? I.E. - do you need seperate control for gloves and vest?
4. I'm thinking - gloves and vest to start with and go from there. Any thoughts?

BTW - just sold my GMC P/U so its either the wing or the jacked up jeep. The wing is much more comfortable - until the snow flies.

Thanks for your help!

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I have the complete liner set, best investment I have ever made.
With the Gerbing gloves, no need for heated grips, in fact the gloves are some much better than grips( my.02)

I use the portable controller, that's what came with the set-up ( I got the set used from a board member, no I stole it :wink: )

Used it in 20 degree weather, SWEET!!!!! 8)

I don't think I'll ever be without it, there are several ways to hook this up, only limited my your imagination.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have the Gerbing jacket liner w/ a dual controller. I bought the dual for easy expansion. I have Hondaline heated grips and have ruled out Gerbing gloves. I don't like the bulkiness and my grips have worked fine. I mounted my controller permanently on a left fairing pocket replacement panel from Lewis. It keeps everything on the left side of the bike, and made for an easy and sanitary install. I used BMW style power outlets, although I would consider using the smaller units next time

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you have the heated grips, you won't need the gloves, but will need the jacket liner and pants.
This is what I have been told, I haven't actually tested it myself, But.
I was told that if you keep the core of your body warm, (beer belly, heart, lungs, so on), that your blood flow will actually warm your limbs...(I was going to try to spell extremities, but not sure so I said Limbs.. :p )
The heated grips would kinda help out with the heat.
I was also told that if you have good riding boots, lined, that you will not need the Gerbing socks, as they will actually make your feet sweat and result in them being cold...

Gerbing Jacket Liner and Pants are all you need, so i was told.
That may well be just for North Texas winters too .. not sure.
I have the G3 Gloves and they are awesome, I rode all last winter, no more numb fingers.
Thermals, Insulated Coveralls, 2pair socks and Steel toed work boots, balaclava, and G3 Gloves. (I stayed kinda toasty) 8)

BS or Fact ??? who knows .... :roll:

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
It all really depends on how cold sensitive you are.

Answers to your questions based on my riding everday except for less than 10 days last winter down into the mid teens. Coldest time was 14 degrees for a little over an hour.

1 - Nope, I have the HONDA heated grips and never turned them past 80% and never felt the need for gloves. My ENTIRE hand was warm. The key is to NOT have tight fitting gloves. The gloves have to be a tad large so the heat can radiate around inside of the glove and warm the entire hand. I have the Gerbing gloves but on the wing don't need em' with the grips. On my old bike, Kawasaki Meanstreak is when I used them.

2 - I used the portable one velcroed to the shelter. Summer I can take it off, a bonus I really liked.

3 - I used a single controller for both the gloves and jacket. Again, this all depends on how cold sensitive you are.

4 - I would start with HONDA heated grips and a jacket liner. I was able to ride in the mid teens for over an hour and never felt cold. Oh, and I have a full Fieldshier Riding Suit which is warm by itself.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
gutsplitter said:
1. If I get heated grips for the Wing do I need heated gloves?
2. Do you mount your controller permanently or use the portable one?
3. Do you use dual controllers? I.E. - do you need seperate control for gloves and vest?
4. I'm thinking - gloves and vest to start with and go from there. Any thoughts?
1 - If the back of your hands don't get cold now, heated grips may be enough. But remember, heated grips tend to heat only the palms of the hands and that's not enough for some.

2 - Personal choice...just depends on your taste. Both seem to work well.

3 - Go with the duals...you will appreciate the ability to control the heat. Remember to tell Gerbing that you are planning on using the vest and gloves separately. That way they can provide you with the correct wiring harnesses.

4 - Gloves and vest seem to be a popular choice while heated socks are the next most appreciated piece of cold-weather gear. NOTE: Gerbing offers two types of heated socks...go with the ones that don't have the heating elements on the bottom. Most say they are NOT very comfortable for walking.

I've found the newer G3 gloves tend to be a bit on the small side and the vest needs to fit snuggly to transfer heat properly. Try them on before purchasing if you can.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
DT said:
NOTE: Gerbing offers two types of heated socks...go with the ones that don't have the heating elements on the bottom. Most say they are NOT very comfortable for walking.
That is VERY true. I have the ones with the heating elements on the bottom. They suck to walk on. Like really really suck. Work real good though. But with the Tulsa Hot Feet and a real good pair of winter boot, the one's I have are 1000 gram thinsulate (more for warmth, not real motorcycle boots) I never needed the socks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I use the jacket liner and gloves. The gloves are a bit bulkey but usable. They have a new glove out that I was looking at at the Hoot much less bulk. I use a single controler and clip it to my jacket pocket. have thought about the pants liner but not got them yet sky bibbs or chaps work for me.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Replaced the gloves with heated grips!!
Had a built in controller for the jacket, replaced it with a portable unit when I needed it for the second bike.

(Will have the single perminant mount unit and a pair of gloves for sale once it's removed)

I ride year round and in temps as low as 10 or so for long distances.. First gear HT Overpants rock for the legs.. My Jacket is home made using 30ft of #28 gage teflon coated wire..

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I have the heat grips and gloves. I like the grips in the spring and fall I use a lite glove with them. I also use a jacket liner and love it. I just got the socks with no wire on the bottom. I have not use them yet. I got order but have not come in yet is a new pair of pants. I use the dual portable controller with leather carrying case so I can take it from bike to bike. I also got the cigarette lighter plug so I can use my battery jump pack wile I am at my nephew's college football games that should keep me warm.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
peas

I knew about stuffed animals, and DQ - but peas??? Please!!!

(I guess nobody thought I MIGHT have used Gerber on purpose???)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
??

So - the "portable" controllers are just that - how do they hook into the electrical system if they are portable???

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
I have the liner and gloves, and the portable dual control. Bought the dual in case I ever added the pants,socks.etc.
The only portable part of the control is that you don't mount it permanently in the tupperware........it could be moved from bike to bike I guess. But its still wired to the battery. I have mine velcroed to the left side of the seat next to my leg...........the connector runs out from under the seat near the same location.
The jacket liner works perfectly and saved my butt last april in the mountains. I have some issues with the gloves and I'm not sure why they don't work as well as the liner.
Gerbings electric is the way to go..........
And I don't like peas either................

John

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Depends on how you handle cold.
I'll ride in temps down to 10 degrees with heated grips and an electric vest (FirstGear HT overpants, longjohns, heavy socks, JR Ballistic jacket) and I'll be happy about it.
I know other folks that need more warmth than that. Like my wife.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Re: peas

gutsplitter said:
(I guess nobody thought I MIGHT have used Gerber on purpose???)
OH! .. I get it now .. you called the heated equipment "Gerber" as in, those that have to wear it to keep warm, are Babies ....

I admit it, I am a baby when it comes to being cold..

I like mid 90's ... Toasty 8)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, the Gerbing heated clothes are great! The riding conditions should determine which heated items you would use. Here in GA heavy electric clothing really isn't necessary, but sure is nice to have heated clothes in Dec-Feb.

The Gerbing DALBY Creek, light weight jacket has served me very well. It is very comfortable even without plugging in. It is not too much to wear up to 65F before it is too warm for me.

I use the portable, dual thermostate. (I might trade up when Honda decides to redesign the Wing.) I only use one connection now, but will add pants liner or sox later and will need to use the other. I have heated grips that work just fine so I have decided not to opt for the Gerbing gloves.

IMHO, It is Best to have the Gerbing folks do the measuring for the pants while you are at a rally and can get them to write down the measurements for ordering at a later date.

Ride Safe, Ride Often!

Larry

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Re: ??

gutsplitter said:
So - the "portable" controllers are just that - how do they hook into the electrical system if they are portable???
The actual controller is a separate piece. There's another harness that connects to the battery.

Many go this route and they simply tuck the battery wires up under either the seat or a side cover when not in use.

I should have added that a few minutes spent on Gerbing's web page will help explain the installation of their wiring harnesses but a call to them may offer more help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts