GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a replacement permanent mount controller on my 2003.

When I turn on the controller the light flashes once then does not flash again nor does it go to a solid light when turned on full.

Is there anything in particular I should look for to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,
Dave S.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Do you have your Gerbing connected when you are testing the controller ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gerbing controller

Yes, the light should be on either way.
Yes, I have gloves plugged in

Can anybody provide some guidance here? I am thinking maybe a ground wire problem?

Dunno...

·
Banned
350 Posts
I have the permanent controller on my GW. If you have good connections to both sides of the battery the light should flash depending on how you adjust the heat. If you connections are good and there is no flash (whether or not anything is connected to the output) the unit does not work properly.

It is possible to test ground I expect by measuring the impedance between the output connector and frame ground on the motorcycle. That could be tedious to get a probe on the output connector. I advise not having the power supplied to the device at the time.

Alternatively, connect the controller directly to the battery (to eliminate any question of a good connection) and see if the device works properly.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
light

do your gloves heat up? Someone else said that their portable lit up and stayed lit. My portable only flashes when I change the setting. Mine is a dual controller:shrug:.

Richard

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gerbing controller

I suspect it is the ground wire and the controller is smart enough to flash once telling me there is a problem in the wiring.

No, the gloves do not heat up, that's the problem. The light on the permanent controller will flash slowly at lower settings, faster at higher settings, and completely on with no flashing when it is set to the max. The flashing gives you an indication of the setting... in case anybody didn't know that.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I too think something isn't connected properly or bad ground. I prefer to run all my grounds directly to the battery. When I mounted a controller the light NEVER was on unless it was turned ON. The same thing with my portable controller, no lights come on unless the device is turned to the on position.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
controller

I suspect it is the ground wire and the controller is smart enough to flash once telling me there is a problem in the wiring.

No, the gloves do not heat up, that's the problem. The light on the permanent controller will flash slowly at lower settings, faster at higher settings, and completely on with no flashing when it is set to the max. The flashing gives you an indication of the setting... in case anybody didn't know that.

Thanks,
Dave
That slow flash was what I got on my remote controller until it was "paired" with my equipment. I wouldn't think that wired controllers would need to be paired.

Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts