GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work today, (18 degrees), I noticed that my thumbs almost froze off, and the fingers were only barely warm. Are there supposed to be elements in the thumbs?

Are the G3 gloves supposed to be better, or just thinner?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Something does notsound right. I would call gerbing and inquire.i tried the display at the last bike show, and they were HOT!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Montero, which gloves do you have? I have the "old" style(not G3) and the thumbs and back of hands warm up.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
My G-3 gloves get plenty warm....... lowest temp with them so far has been 38*F

I have my gloves controlled separate from the jacket liner.

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
My G-3 gloves get plenty warm....... lowest temp with them so far has been 38*F

I have heard other complaints from folks who run the jacket liner and gloves off the same controller. Apparently the liner gets hotter than the gloves, so the gloves never feel warm enough. Dual controls is probably the answer here.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Fred H. said:
[quote="Tony in AZ":1b09tocy]My G-3 gloves get plenty warm....... lowest temp with them so far has been 38*F

I have heard other complaints from folks who run the jacket liner and gloves off the same controller. Apparently the liner gets hotter than the gloves, so the gloves never feel warm enough. Dual controls is probably the answer here.[/quote:1b09tocy]

correct sir

if you just plug your gloves in, they will be much warmer than if you use a jacket as well on the same line

same with socks and pants combo as well

being diabetic, my hands get colde rthan they used to

i blast the grip heaters and have ridden all day under 20 degrees, with the jacket as well

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Fred H. said:
[quote="Tony in AZ":1ssgkfq5]My G-3 gloves get plenty warm....... lowest temp with them so far has been 38*F

I have heard other complaints from folks who run the jacket liner and gloves off the same controller. Apparently the liner gets hotter than the gloves, so the gloves never feel warm enough. Dual controls is probably the answer here.[/quote:1ssgkfq5]

true........ and the heated collar is something I really like on the jacket liner..

Sounds like the socks and gloves on one controller circuit.... pants and liner on the other?
:!:

:sparkplug:

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
no heated gloves just jacket linner, Pants and socks, all works great for me with a single portable controller

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rinkopr said:
Something does notsound right. I would call gerbing and inquire.i tried the display at the last bike show, and they were HOT!
I'm sure they were hot in room temperature, to tell you the truth they get pretty warm even at around 35, but this morning I think they met their match. I think it's rediculous to have to run a separate wire just for the gloves. My biggest complaint is that I don't think there is an element for the thumbs.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stevep714 said:
Montero, which gloves do you have? I have the "old" style(not G3) and the thumbs and back of hands warm up.

I have the Classic thick gloves, they're only about 14 months old.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote Sounds like the socks and gloves on one controller circuit.... pants and liner on the other?
:!:

:sparkplug:[/quote]

I threw all my other harnesses away, thinking (and up to this point I could) run everything through the jacket-pants, socks, jacket, gloves.....

So are the G3's supposed to be better, or just thinner?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
They do have a separate circuit on some of the jacket liners that allow you to hook up the pants separate from the jacket controller. It allows you to run two controllers but have everything hooked to your jacket. I think I am going to spring for the installed dual controller and try to plan for the best install.......

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the Gerbings liner and G3 gloves with a dual controller. I have to turn the gloves way down as they get very warm on my fingers and thumb.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I just checked my G-3 gloves... the thumbs have elements in them.

On the back side of the thumb area in my gloves.

:sparkplug:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BlueWing said:
Sounds to me like you need to buy some G3 gloves.
SO, are the g3s supposed to be better or just thinner? Newer? better elements?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Give Gerbing a call and they will give you all the answers to all your ?'s.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I liked the G3s they were thinner, and had the elements ONLY on the backside of the glove. I find this to be a better pattern of warming as the palm area really doesn't need to be warm, at leat mine don't.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
The only heated gear that I have so far is the old style gloves with a portable controller. The thumbs heat evenly with the rest of the gloves. If I added a liner, I would certainly use a dual controller as I'm sure there is no way for Gerbing to satisfy all riders and conditions with just element ratings. I'm really pleased with the gloves, although they are extemely bulky.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts