GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding today temp 20'. I'm curious to have some input from our expert electronic whizzes.
If I just have my gloves plugged in I have lots of heat. However, the more stuff I plug in to my dual reostats the less heat I have. I thought with my gloves , jacket, Union Ridge pants, and heated socks I should still get plenty of heat. Circuits are all parallel, voltage is supposed to be the same in all parts of the circuits. Is it something to do with the way the electronic controller cycles on and off as I know that it does not take a direct reading of the temps of the garments. What's the deal? :?

·
Vendor
22,091 Posts
Voltage will be the same in a parallel circuit, but current will not.

I suspect what is happening is that when you add more items, the current through any one of them is reduced, which will decrease the heat output.

When you unplug the other items and only have the gloves plugged in, more current is available to the gloves.

Wattage is a measurement of power and is obtained by multiplying current times voltage (Watts = I x V). So if you reduce either volts or amps, then watts are reduced.

There is only so much current available from the alternator, and as you add more heated items you approach the limit of available current. The wires and circuits for the heated gear also have limits, as there is only so much current you can force through the wires that go to the controller and heated clothing, so even if the alternator puts out enough power, you still will be limited by the controller circuit and wiring itself.

Sometimes it helps if you think about electricity in terms of plumbing, where voltage is like water pressure, and current is like water flow, and the diameter of the pipe is like the wire gauge size and the pressure tank is like the current source (alternator).

Does that help?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Noticed the same thing when I had all the Gerbing stuff on a single controller. I would plug in jacket liner, pants liner, socks, and gloves, and have to put the controller on nearly full tilt. Now both ends of the bike have dual controllers and to get the same amount of bang the controllers are set at about a 40% mark.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I installed 2 permanent dual controllers (1 for me and one for my wife). Both of us seem to get what we need on the cold rides.

I've used the jacket liners and gloves while she used the full set-up (socks, pant liner, jacket liner and gloves). No complaints from her and she will mention the least amount of cold.

Chuck
MBD

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
You need a controller for each item, jacket, pants, etc. to get the most effect.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I use only an off/on switch and run my socks, pants, jacket and gloves all together- I do notice that the gloves really don't get too hot, they just keep your hands "not cold". Jacket and Socks get really hot.

I don't understand how a separate controller will help.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I am not sure, I just think seperate controllers would be more effective. If someone sets the heat position at one setting for the jacket, it may feel different on the gloves, etc. If you have just an on/off switch and the heat is on fully....and you don't get warm, then my theory in incorrect. Extra controllers are expensive.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
The heat is reduced for sure as items are introduced. Its basic math. I need to add another controller on mine also. Between the wife, and me the one dual controller is not enough. PAul, Paul, Paul.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to Fred H it's all about capacity to carry higher amperage loads. So the more wire carrying ability the better. The dual controller does OK, but I separate battery tap and controller would it seems give more amperage flow translating into more wattage which means more heat to separate garments. This of course is offset by practicality and the need to not be a total idiot. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Bluewoo said:
ElBando said:
You need a controller for each item, jacket, pants, etc. to get the most effect.
That would be Four,Five maybe Six controllers for one human?

:roll:
Effective...yes, practical.......NO....LOL

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My wife and I each use separate dual controllers for glove and jacket liners and there's more than ample heat for either of us.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Low Voltage

The alternator and wiring have max ratings. If you exceed either you will see a reduction in voltage at the device you are trying to power. Even though the various paths are parallel if the voltage drops across this path then so will the current through each path (Ohm's Law where I = V/R). Wiring will cause small voltage drops called distribution drops. I suspect that you are loading the alternator to the max and therefore it is causing a reduction in system voltage which reduces the current through everything. You may want to check the voltage with everything connected (i.e., typical riding conditions) and then match that against what the manufacturer rates the gloves, jacket, etc. at.

·
Registered
224 Posts
you got it!

The limiting factor is alti output. If you have all the different items plugged in then the output of the alt at idle would not be high enough to get max heat. You would be pulling charge out of the battery. I beleive the outut out of the new wings is 930 watts, the older wing had a much lower alti ouput which could cause the heated clothing to appear to not be working correctly. I know on the VTX cruisers the alti will not run all the heated clothing very well unless you keep the RPM's up at idle, stop sign's, traffic lights, construction work stops, etc..

Radar52
FAA Radar Tech
GWRRA & VTX MI Xriders

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,766 Posts
Re: you got it!

Radar52 said:
I beleive the outut out of the new wings is 930 watts, the older wing had a much lower alti ouput which could cause the heated clothing to appear to not be working correctly. Radar52
FAA Radar Tech
GWRRA & VTX MI Xriders

The 01-05 Wings have a 1100 watt alternator and the 06-07 Wings have a 1300 watt alternator.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks Roadie

I knew the old wings were lower, did not know the specifics. But the alti output is the key to the amount of heat you get out of the heated clothing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wire size is the key,a thin wire will not provide the current you need.You should also be connected directly to the battery,or a high amp circut.Gerbings built their system to connect together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts