GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a Gerbing jacket liner without a control. My question is, does this jacket liner get hot enough that a varible temp control is really needed? Have had several Eclipse vests over the years and most of the time I can just leave them on and not get overheated. If a temp control is needed I would like to have it installed when cold weather sets in.

Buck in NE Arkansas

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep. They get very hot. About the only way you could handle it without
a thermostat controller is to continually turn it on and off. You will love
the jacket liner. I bought it for my wife but if I watch my diet I can wear
it on the colder days when she won't ride. We bought the gloves at the
Davis Rally a couple of weeks ago and the boss (wife) raves about them
also. Blessings.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
yes, it gets hot.
I was cheap and went for the toggle switch, easy to use, but not as great as the controller unit.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
You definitely want the controller. I've been using the Gerbing Dual Permanent Controller for a couple of years now and it's great to use and very easy with less hassle of wires showing while riding.

DaleC

·
Registered
83 Posts
Gerbing Jacket Liner

Hmmm ... I bought one for my wife. We finally got a chance to use it in Maine a week or so ago. She couldn't get it warm enough, so I thought maybe she was turning the thermostat the wrong way. Didn't seem to make much difference. So then I by bypassed the thermostat and hooked it up directly -- still not warm enough. I felt it, and it seemed to only get luke warm. The thermostat light was coming on, so I assume it was getting power. Could I have hooked it up to the circuit wrong? Maybe to one with less amps than it needs? I don't think I blew any fuses. Any ideas? My thought is to hook it directly to the battery and see if that turns up the heat any.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Re: Gerbing Jacket Liner

PelicanPilot said:
Hmmm ... I bought one for my wife. We finally got a chance to use it in Maine a week or so ago. She couldn't get it warm enough, so I thought maybe she was turning the thermostat the wrong way. Didn't seem to make much difference. So then I by bypassed the thermostat and hooked it up directly -- still not warm enough. I felt it, and it seemed to only get luke warm. The thermostat light was coming on, so I assume it was getting power. Could I have hooked it up to the circuit wrong? Maybe to one with less amps than it needs? I don't think I blew any fuses. Any ideas? My thought is to hook it directly to the battery and see if that turns up the heat any.
Seems you definately have a hookup problem. When the jacket is turned on it will fry you. The thermostat light will blink regardless of whether the jacket is getting the voltage or not.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Re: Gerbing Jacket Liner

PelicanPilot said:
Could I have hooked it up to the circuit wrong? Maybe to one with less amps than it needs? I don't think I blew any fuses. Any ideas? My thought is to hook it directly to the battery and see if that turns up the heat any.
The tail with the fuse should be connected directly to the battery as in the instructions.. When the unit is turned all the way up it can get hot enough to burn uncovered skin.. The light on the controller will blink longer the hotter it's set.. Where are you connecting it???

·
Registered
826 Posts
If it's luke warm, something is wrong. Aztec Tom has no switch. Just plugged in or unplugged. He went to sleep (parked) with it on. Blistered his arm.

You can hook it to the batt straight but I would highly recommend EC's switched aux fuse block. Does two things. Cleans up the instillation and turns it off when the bike is off. But you say, I unplug it when I am not on the bike. Problem is, the connection is always hot. If you accidentally cross the connectors, you will blow the fuse. You can also blow the fuse with the aux panel if the key is on and you connect and reconnect it. 99 times out of a hundred, no problem. It's that one when you are out of fuses and in a drizzlin cold rain that will make a believer out of you. Make sure the fuse is easily accessible and you have plenty of spares. We blew 3 in one day just being careless.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hmmm ... thought I installed it in accordance with the instructions, but guess I better go back and check. The controller light is either steady on or steady off. Iassumed steady on meant it was heating, and stayed that way until it got to the temp check.

thank you for the input -- I'll set some time aside to review my installation .... and the instructions!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Buck, the light is suppossed to blick more rapidly with increased power until it is steady red at full power. Sounds like the controller itself might be the problem. Regarding the EC fuse panel, I opted for the same set up. However the panel is rated for thirty amps total and the EC jacket liner draws 15. If you have hookups for both rider and passenger make certain not to overload the panel or everything connected to it will go off with the fuse.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
Arkie, You need the controller. I have heard of some hooking up a switch, but to me that is a safety factor because you will be distracted too much instead of paying attention to your riding.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
Buck,
I assume you also have the Gerbings and the Gerbings controller.

Unless the jacket is defective, (it could happen), it will get pretty hot while wearing it. It won't seem as hot by just holding your hand against it though. Since you can't wear it due to it being your wife's, try wrapping it around your forearm for a few minutes to get a good idea of how hot it is.

The vest only draws about 5 amps, not the 15 amps that someone mentioned earlier. But it is still too much for the Aux connection at the fuse block. It worries me that your vest is only getting warm when connected directly to whatever circuit you are hooked up to. That means that the vest is dragging the voltage down in that circuit which means a voltage drop across the bikes wiring, which in turn can mean the bike's wiring is heating up. (This shouldn't happen if the circuit is fused correctly. The fuse should blow.) You need to look at this pronto.!

The controller does not actually vary the voltage to the vest like a typical old style controller. It is a pulse type controller. It rapidly switches between full on and full off. The LED should blink. The more you turn up the heat the longer the LED will stay on. The length of the pulse is what determines how hot the vest gets.

One last thing. Make sure she isn't wearing something heavy like a sweater or sweatshirt under the heated jacket.

·
Registered
119 Posts
LarryM said:
One last thing. Make sure she isn't wearing something heavy like a sweater or sweatshirt under the heated jacket.
I second that motion. You need to have just a thin layer between the gerbing and your skin. And anything you put outside that needs to help compress everything so there's not big air gaps (ie. everything should be snug).

If you don't, the gerbing will really heat up away from the skin, and one little twist of the body/reposition will slap those hot strings up and you'll get a toasty suprise.

Also - be patient with the settings. It takes several minutes to adjust. The first time the wife used hers, she kept saying 'you're turning it down, go the other way!" I replied repeatedly - no, I'm not, just be patient. By the time it started hitting her she screamed 'turn it down, it's burning me!' (over & over again, as I turned it down each time.) When I hook them up on the new wing, she'll be able to reach her own control.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Recommend you check the jacket. Sounds like a wire might be disconnected. Check with an OHM meter (miltimeter set on OHMS) and jump across the ground wire on the jacket (outside the plug) and the hot wire (center one on the plug). No resistance means open circuit or broken wire.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
That wouldn't be it Harry. If it was open at the connector, he wouldn't have any heat at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey -- all great info. I'm inspired to get back into. thanks for all the good ideas, and I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok, for those of you still monitoring this string of posts, I feel like a real idiot .... :? .... I installed the jacket circuit to the accessory connections and now realize that's a 5 amp circuit. Not sure how the thermostat light was still lighting, but the fuse had blown, so it was certainly not getting any power to heat the jacket. Since the jacket installation, I have purchased and installed a separate fuse strip, but have not had the chance to move all the "stuff" over to it. Once I moved the jacket to the 15 amp circuit on the strip, it works like a champ, and, most importantly, the wife unit is very happy. Thank you all for your advice ...
Embarrassingly, Buck :oops:

PS: I told the wife unit it was a defective trapazoid capacitor, so please don't blow my cover .... :wink:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
We've had our Gerbing liners for about 6 years now, they are either being worn or stored in the saddlebag at all times. My wife loves hers!

By the way, wives know that a defective trapazoid capacitor means YOU SCREWED UP!

·
Registered
152 Posts
liner

Bite the $70 bullet Arkie and buy the controller. There isn`t any way around it if you want to get the most from your electric liner. Ride Safe

1 - 20 of 36 Posts