GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. As the title suggests I have a pair of the above that has failed.

Does anyone have experience of tracing problems as I have started to unpick the stitching and the bloody wires disappear into insulation and it looks like a hopeless task.

Anyone have any experience in fixing this?

Thanks in advance
Roy

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Look for burn marks in the insulation. The insulation may be resistant to burning, but that does not stop it from turning black in the area of the wire break. While the wire is in process of breaking, it ends up with higher resistance and builds higher temps until it is completely broken. That was how I found the broken wires in my OEM 2010 heated seat. Picked out the wire from the black spots in the foam, cleaned them up and soldered back together. I also pulled a bunch of the wire from the glue so there was give between the deforming foam and the wire to prevent pulling the wire apart again.

Good luck on the search and repair.

·
Registered
302 Posts
When we bought Gerbing garments I recall there being a lifetime warranty on the microwire technology. You should contact them.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have traced out internal wire failures in my Gerbings jacket a couple times with the probes of my multimeter then repaired the wires. These repairs did not involve heating element panels only the internal harness wires that tie it all together. My warranty experience with the first wire break was not good but the jacket was 15 years old and bought before the company changed hands. The new company was not much interested in honoring the warranty, they did eventually but it was a hassle. Anyway I got my money’s worth out of it even with two DIY repairs since the warranty work. When I was looking at my second DIY repair a buddy referred me to this outfit that repairs heated clothing for fair prices. They rewired and replaced all the connectors for less than $50.

Ughh.... They have since been bought by the “new company” so I can’t vouch for them. Maybe worth a try.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
When we bought Gerbing garments I recall there being a lifetime warranty on the microwire technology. You should contact them.
Check with them but fairly certain they no longer honor this after new management.... but, suspect they will repair or replace for a price....

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
Ken Phenix Flaming Heated Gear - search on Facebook; he has a phone number to contact him.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have several Gerbing heated pants, jacket liners, gloves and insoles.
Every time I have had an issue with the heated equipment, and it has been a few, I traced it to the connectors and wires at the connectors. Only once did I have an issue where the issue was inside the equipment and that was with a pair of older gloves. I couldn't fix them because I had no inclination to do any seamstress work on them.
The jacket liners I have repaired, mine and those of friends, required a cord and connetor replacement. I sourced the wires with connectors where I would normally buy the heated clothing. I bought heated clothing extension cords and cut them up as needed to use as replacements. Ocasionally I would have to open a jacket liner to get to the end of the power wire but not often. Merely cutting off the wire close to the fabric entry point and soldering on a replacement cord and connector, paying attention to positive and negative, was all that was needed.

Also, the connectors can sometimes cause intermittent operation. The center pin of the male connector is split. It can sometimes be necessary to take a sharp knife and gently pry the pin in the center to spread it slightly. Be careful when doing this so that you do not split it far enough to break it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts