GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always run Gerbing but I'm in the hunt for a new heated liner. I'm told that the Powerlet liner is made by Gerbing and unlike the Gerbing at 77 Watts the Powerlet is 100 watts. It will fit right in with the Gerbing system mabee with a couple of adapters.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/products/phg.php

I frequently ride in the single digits and am looking for feedback someone may have had with this liner.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Went to the website you posted - yes, about 100 watts. Made in Pakastan. Warranty of one year. Non-insulated.

Gerbings website says 77 watts, heated collar, thinsulate insulation, same warranty, and they been around for years.

Your call.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I could be completely wrong but this liner from powerlet appears to maybe be a product of heat-troller or warm n safe (heattroller.com). I would be curious to find out who that liner is actually made by, it looks similar to the warm n safe one. The controllers are definately a heat-troller product. If this is the case, I think the controllers from Mike at heattroller are very well made, as of last year when I bought my dual permanent mount controller they were being made in the US still. Heattroller used to supply Gerbings w/their controllers, that's a whole story in itself. :lol: However, I prefer my Gerbing heated jacket liner and would buy other Gerbing clothing w/out question. Good Luck in whatever you get. I would be interested in hearing your review on the Powerlet liner if you get one. Brian

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just ordered up a Powerlet Liner. I talked to John at Powerlet, he mentioned that the liner had only been out 2 months and that I could try it and if not happy could return it no problem. It has all Gerbing connectors and has stretchy side panels for a close fit. It has a soft heated collar. He also gave me a group discount of 10%. I belong to several groups including this forum so I'm not sure which group got the discount. However, John didnt hesitate so I don't think it matters. My price was $199-10%+$10 shipping. About $189 delivered.

I will give it the good o'l college try and give some feedback here.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Stick405, good luck with your new purchase. Please let us know what your thoughts are on it once you've tried it out. Brian

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have been trying out the new liner from Powerlet. It's a great liner, quality built and just like a Gerbing. However, it is more of a stand alone garment. According to the specs it is 110 watts at 12.8 volts so with the Gerbing gloves on the same controller it is out of balance being too hot. I'm still testing and will hook up my pants, socks and gloves and run by themselves. Seems that it would need it's own controller to adjust to rest of my gear. I don't anticipate buying a third controller so probably will send it back to Powerlet.

It could work if a passive control was added in a small pouch velcroed to the lower left side of the liner. This would provide a way to cut back the heat to balance out against the gloves. But why do this when a Gerbing will do the same thing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the liner, but again it is more suitable when run on it' own controller as a stand alone item. :tools1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any dealer who sells Gerbings clothing, signs an agreement. Stated very clearly is that a dealer can sell the clothing for any price they choose, they just cannot advertise a lower price. Part of being fair to all the dealers out there...

The powerlet liner is being distributed by Warmnsafe. Gerbings has a lifetime warranty, not one year.

Mike Cohan, of heat heatroller, wakes up everyday planning to destroy Gerbings Heated Clothing. It is his mission statement. As of even now, the therms have been redesigned to the point of they are not even the same therms. And, there is a very active R&D department at Gerbings that is going to change everything is the next year or two. We are talking micro computers for the therms, and new heating technology that is even more dependable, and draws less power, all the while giving the user more heat.

Gerbings is taking the time to improve, redesign, and make better products.

That is how business should be done, not by lying, distorting, and hating your competition, just make a better product! If you need to feel the hate, go to warmnsafe.com and read the company history. They are really close to being called for libel and slander.....

Bob

·
Registered
21,144 Posts
stick
the first thing i thought when u said the new linner was going to be 100 watts was i bet that will b to much, i wear a 10 year old Gerbings 77 watt linner and have NEVER wanted more watts, rarely turn the heat troller even half way up and its plenty warm for me, seems like fewer watts better distributed would work best

as far as all the fancy dual controllers, to me they seem like mostly a waste of time and money when the clothing is designed to work with a single controller, i bet Gerbings did a lot of testing to figure out what they think is the best wattage for each piece of clothing to work well with a single controller

warmnsafe seems like nice quallity stuff but so far i don't think Gerbings has any very serious competition but u never know maybe someday somone will come up with something new and better

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the latest on the Powerlet Liner. I hooked the Gerbing socks, pants and gloves together on one side of the controller and put the liner on the other side. Worked perfect. The Gerbing gear was balanced and I was able to dial in the liner where I wanted it.

I guess I will give the liner a reprieve for a few mores rides. :D

I also meant to say that the Powerlet has a zipper that allows access to all the interior wiring which is a good deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts