GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally tried this out today and it works well. We did not want the controls or wires to show when at rest and did not want to lose permanent use of the storage compartment to the left of the passenger seat, so this is what we came up with.

I used an old plastic electrical box I had. I cut it to 2 1/2" long. It is 2 1/4"high and 2 1/4" wide. Cut holes for outlets, knobs and LED lights [on top.] I drilled a 1 1/4" hole in the side of the compartment below seat level for wires to enter. I made a 13/16" long L bracket to mount to the latch screw on the door and to the box.

This is what it looks like in use. My wife finds it easy to plug in and out. We can remove it when warm weather returns and have use of the compartment again.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
what I see, you open the small door, plug the gerbings in to the power ports and ride with the door open ?

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tony in AZ said:
what I see, you open the small door, plug the gerbings in to the power ports and ride with the door open ?
Yep. The door remains partially open resting firmly against my wife's leg. The only problem might occur if she forgets to unhook and close it before getting off. So far, so good.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Perhaps changing the dc plugs to the small coaxial type, then have two short cables and jacks extend out of the box. First the door could be closed, and second would provide a quick strain release for the time it is not unplugged. Nice idea. I am considering a slit or groove under my front seat for the drivers connector. Do not want to make anynew holes into the tupperware if I can avoid it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts