GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my wife and I jacket liners, and heated socks. I installed the Dual Perm Controllers. Since we dont have pants liners there is a long cord that runs up your leg into the jacket. When we hook up the socks the jacket doesnt work. Unplug the socks and the liner works. We tried them on both liners and get the same results. What could be the problem?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Call Gerbings customer support

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn Snoop, You gonna make me get out of my Lazy Boy. Remember I lost my cell phone.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Weren't you sitting on the throne when you lost the cellphone?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Red is power from the bike to the thermostat, white is power from the thermostat to the liner , black is power from the thermostat to the liner for gloves or pants/socks. If it's hooked up like this and there is power like you say, then the liner could be defective...

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Toyo,
I use my Gerbings like you are doing. Hook of the jacket to the controller and then hook up the socks to the accessory plug on the jacket. It works just fine that way.
If you have a dual contoller for each of you, what are you hooking up to the other connection coming out of the controller?

Let us know how your problem is solvved.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HogSnogs, that is exactly what I am doing.

CJ, I only have one plug coming out of the "box" that I have coming out of the seat. One in the front for Krista and one for me. I Have tried this on both of our liners and get the same results. It cant be the liners. Small chance I believe. I wouldnt think it would be the socks, but it might be. I am going to call Gerbing today and see what they say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Toyo...

Call 800-646-5916 and ask for Technical Help....

They will get to the bottom of that for you !

Ride Safe :!:

RPG

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
My wife's Gerbing jacket liner is different than Steve & Krista's. We plug our hot lead into the dual thermostat thingie and plug the britches/socks into one hole and the jacket into the other. We only use the pigtail on the jacket and not the two ports --- one is empty and one is recessed...
Krista was plugging the hot lead into the female socket on the jacket and plugging her socks into an open port in the jacket terminal. If she jacked into one hole, the socks would work. If she jacked into the other, the jacket would work. Looked like it needed a Y connector but why have the module there in the first place?
Steve didn't have the directions handy and it got warm for us anyhow.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didnt get a chance to call Gerbing today. However,Paul from Blue Moon BMW called me back today and said I would need some type of pigtail thingy. That is not what he or Gerbing told me when I was educating myself on these things. Like Bill said, What is with the extra 2 plugs on the jacket?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Toyo said:
I didnt get a chance to call Gerbing today. However,Paul from Blue Moon BMW called me back today and said I would need some type of pigtail thingy. That is not what he or Gerbing told me when I was educating myself on these things. Like Bill said, What is with the extra 2 plugs on the jacket?
Here we go Steve if you haven't read your email. I think I'm right and I hope this helps.
The jacket has two seperate circuits in the jacket. The white male plug in the jacket is for the jacket. The other male plug is for the gloves, pants, and or socks. If you have a dual controller, you can plug the white line from the controller to the white plug on the jacket and control the jacket heat. You can take the other black plug from the controller and control the gloves, pants, and or socks. To get power to the pants and or socks you have to hook them into the acess. female plug on the jacket.
If you only have a single controller you must buy the Y cord. This Y cord will have one male plug and two female plugs. Plug the one line from the controller into the one male plug on the Y cord. Then plug the two female plugs into the two male plugs on the jacket. This will power both circuits into the jacket which will power your socks when your socks are plugged into the acess female plug on the jacket.
I hope this made some kind of sense. :wink:
I have socks, pants, jacket, and gloves with a dual controller. I hook the white cord from the controller to the white plug of the jacket. I then hook my gloves to my jacket, I hook my socks to my pants and my pants to the acces plug on the jacket. One knob on the controller controls the jacket and the other knob controls everthing else.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have that splitter. It goes from the socks up my legs into the jacket. I am gonna take all my crap to him today and see what in the world is going on. Hell, if its not raining I might just take the whole bike.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Toyo said:
I have that splitter. It goes from the socks up my legs into the jacket. I am gonna take all my crap to him today and see what in the world is going on. Hell, if its not raining I might just take the whole bike.
The socks splitter is 36". The splitter I attached is about 6" or less.
It's the right part, dude; order 2 of them and I'll make it all work for you.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Now as I read the website, it makes me believe that the controller plugs into the jacket, and the current in the jacket will power everything else... Pants, gloves, and socks. Now I am reading that you need separate lines for each item.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I hope this is something simple...... we were fitted for Gerbing pants and jacket liners at the show this past weekend.. we have not bought any items yet .

My wife is really sold on the stuff. When she felt the warmth from the garments on display....... that sealed any questions she had.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Rinkopr said:
Now as I read the website, it makes me believe that the controller plugs into the jacket, and the current in the jacket will power everything else... Pants, gloves, and socks. Now I am reading that you need separate lines for each item.
You are kind of right and somewhat wrong. Please guys and gals take time to read my last post throughly and if you are stumped on something tell me what it is and I can help with the questions.
When I hook one of my lines from my dual controller to the white plug in the picture I got heat in the jacket but not in the glove. When I took the same line from my controller and hooked it into the middle plug in the photo my glove got heat and my jacket didn't.
This proves that you MUST MUST MUST have two power inlets IF you have this type of Gerbing jacket like the photo.
The female plug (green) will power the jacket and or socks. The socks can be hooked up to the female plug (green) by themselves or the socks can be hooked to the pants and then the pants hooked to the jacket (green plug).
I love the way Gerbing has done this set-up, believe it or not it works very well.
I strongly suggest if you buy a controller you buy the dual one whether it be permanent or mobile. When you do this you can control your jacket seperately from either one (gloves, pants, and socks) or all three together. If you ride two up and don't want to buy another controller for your passenger you will need to buy two short Y jumper wires. One for you and one for your passenger. With this set-up (two riders with one controller) each person will have all of their gear controlled with just on knob on the controller. Each rider will have their own control over their gear but the jacket, pants, gloves, and socks will all be tied together.
any :?: s I will be happy to help :lol:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Winnie Man your pretty good. I got the splitter yesterday and all is ok. The problem here is that I was told incorrect things from Gerbing and BMW. Thats why I was so stumped and hesitant to listen to you knuckleheads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Toyo said:
Hey Winnie Man your pretty good. I got the splitter yesterday and all is ok. The problem here is that I was told incorrect things from Gerbing and BMW. Thats why I was so stumped and hesitant to listen to you knuckleheads.
I can understand the BMW dealer not giving you the proper info, but Gerbing should know how their product works, wouldn't ya think?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts